• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman (1978) or Batman (1989)

Superman or Batman  

423 members have voted

1. 1. Superman or Batman

86 posts in this topic

Rotten Tomatoes

Superman (1978) 94%

Batman (1989) 71%

Metacritic

Superman (1978) 88 out of 100

Batman (1989) 66 out of 100

I personally like the Superman movie better.

I chose Batman....but Superman was truely mind boggling in it's time....tough choice. The first incarnation of that lame real estate plot was SO anticlimatic. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Rotten Tomatoes

Superman (1978) 94%

Batman (1989) 71%

Metacritic

Superman (1978) 88 out of 100

Batman (1989) 66 out of 100

I personally like the Superman movie better.

+1

Keaton (and I like Keaton as an actor in most things) as Batman just was not a good choice...Reeves was far more believable as Supes

I love both of them but Superman has more magic to me. I was 12 when it came out and I still get chills with the opening scene soaring past the old Daily Planet and John Williams excellent score starting up. One of the best soundtracks.

I like Gene Hackman in it even if he does play a campy Lex Luthor. Jack's Joker was better from a comic standpoint though.

I was always a bit disappointed in the 1989 BATMAN. The -script and characterization were underdeveloped, though the movie is still loads of fun(and 1989 was an amazing year for Batfans and comic collectors). But SUPERMAN is a great movie, even with the flaws. Geoffrey Unsworth's cinematography, the score, Reeve's portrayal,the grandeur...I'll never forget seeing it for the first time as a kid, and being absolutely floored by it.

I love both of them but Superman has more magic to me. I was 12 when it came out and I still get chills with the opening scene soaring past the old Daily Planet and John Williams excellent score starting up. One of the best soundtracks. I like Gene Hackman in it even if he does play a campy Lex Luthor. Jack's Joker was better from a comic standpoint though.

+1

Superman came out shortly before I was born... so my chance to watch it was on VHS.

Batman came out when I was 9... and I saw it on the big screen and vividly recall the wonderful toys that came out that following Christmas.

Which do you think most impacted me? lol Sorry guys, Batman for me, hands down.

I love both of them but Superman has more magic to me. I was 12 when it came out and I still get chills with the opening scene soaring past the old Daily Planet and John Williams excellent score starting up. One of the best soundtracks. I like Gene Hackman in it even if he does play a campy Lex Luthor. Jack's Joker was better from a comic standpoint though.

+1

+2

Supes for me. That Superman film just had an "epic" quality to it and I don't think there's ever been a truer portrayal of the core of a superhero character than Chris Reeves'... he was Superman.

Batman just had too much of that Tim Burton "over-the-top" feel for me, though Jack Nicholson was outstanding. I think the more recent Dark Knight films do a better job with Batman than the older run did.