• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"The Dentist" transaction date

114 posts in this topic

@Timely - do you know if Snyder bought the books from Chuck or someone else? There is still the 1982-1984 discrepancy. Does Chuck just have his date wrong or did someone else (multiple people) own the book in the interim?

Anyone have contact info for John Snyder?

Snyder bought them directly from Chuck on Anderson's behalf.

If West says that's what happened, that's what happened. (thumbs u

Bob Overstreet writing in 1985 about a 1984 sale trumps Chuck writing about himself, from memory, 30 years later.

(thumbs u

Though some folks on here argue otherwise, the contemporaneously published facts of a matter are far more compelling evidence in discerning those facts than someone's memory 10-20-30 years hence.

Tru dat (thumbs u

@Timely - do you know if Snyder bought the books from Chuck or someone else? There is still the 1982-1984 discrepancy. Does Chuck just have his date wrong or did someone else (multiple people) own the book in the interim?

It will all be in the Pedigree book, out soon in 2008! :whistle:

I haven't read the comments section on your Most Valuable Comics list in while. You have the patience of Job. lol

"I have a stack of Marvel comics from the 1980's. Can you tell me how much they're worth?"

Read the comments on my appraisal page. Those are really trying... Superman 75 shows up every two weeks.

You are a saint. Although that DV8 27 "recalled" issue sounds intriguing.

That was exactly what I was thinking.

I haven't read the comments section on your Most Valuable Comics list in while. You have the patience of Job. lol

"I have a stack of Marvel comics from the 1980's. Can you tell me how much they're worth?"

Read the comments on my appraisal page. Those are really trying... Superman 75 shows up every two weeks.

You are a saint. Although that DV8 27 "recalled" issue sounds intriguing.

That was exactly what I was thinking.

I actually spent some time looking for information on that book. I found nothing. Doesn't mean it's not out there somewhere, of course.

It will all be in the Pedigree book, out soon in 2008! :whistle:

lol Nice timing with the pedigree book jab. Very appropriate for the circumstance.

FWIW, I appreciate you coming into this thread and clarifying the issue. It seemed pretty obvious what happened from the original post but it's nice to have someone who knows step up. (thumbs u

West is 100% correct! (thumbs u

This is the exact same story that John told me in one of our many late night telephone conversations when I first started buying GA books in the late 80's. This was also confirmed in subsequent conversations with Dave himself.

John was a true power broker in the big comics back at that time with lots of stories about the big collectors such as Geppi, Overstreet, Carter, Anderson, etc. It was extremely interesting and almost like being a fly on the wall to hear about some of these transactions, the personalities involved, and their reasons for buying and/or selling at the time. :cloud9:

John was a true power broker in the big comics back at that time with lots of stories about the big collectors such as Geppi, Overstreet, Carter, Anderson, etc. It was extremely interesting and almost like being a fly on the wall to hear about some of these transactions, the personalities involved, and their reasons for buying and/or selling at the time. :cloud9:

Did Snyder ever discuss selling restored Church books to the "Dentist"?

So was this a case of Anderson not being high up enough on the "list" and Anderson taking Snyder's spot on the list to get at the books?

R.

I thought for all you old school GA guys, restoration was not only okay, it was desirable? :baiting:

West is 100% correct! (thumbs u

This is the exact same story that John told me in one of our many late night telephone conversations when I first started buying GA books in the late 80's. This was also confirmed in subsequent conversations with Dave himself.

Don't forget Redbeard, he owned more Church books than any one else, other than Rozanski... and Church himself! Not only did Redbeard have the volume, but he also picked out a lot of #1 issues, the biggest one being Superman #1

Okay, so it sounds like the story was Chuck sold the book to Anderson using Snyder as his agent. Sounds like it happened in 1984 - there was no 1982 or 1983 transactions. Only three people have owned the book in it's history. Church, Rozanski, and Anderson. Now I've got to try and find a specific date that all of this went down - hopefully Rozanski or Anderson reply to my inquiries.

Thanks for clearing this up for me, this board has a wealth of knowledge about collecting history.

Does anyone know when the infamous transaction between Chuck (Mile High) and "The Dentist" actually took place for the EC Action Comics 1?

What makes you call the transaction "infamous"?

???

Does anyone know when the infamous transaction between Chuck (Mile High) and "The Dentist" actually took place for the EC Action Comics 1?

???

Hah. I was thinking the same thing, but I got too caught up in trying to unravel the details.

He sold those books to afford the Mile High business advertisement he placed in the centerfolds of all the Marvel Comics in the early 80's. I think he said it cost $50,000 for those ads, so he sold the Actions to cover those costs.

???

Just a poor choice of words. When I think of infamous, I think of well-known - renowned. When in fact it has a negative connotation to it. I didn't mean it in that sense.

???

Just a poor choice of words. When I think of infamous, I think of well-known - renowned. When in fact it has a negative connotation to it. I didn't mean it in that sense.

El Guapo is disappointed in you.

So the owners of the most valuable comic book have been Edgar Church (1938-1977), Chuck Rozanski (1977-1984), John Snyder (1984 for a few days), and Dave Anderson, D.D.S. (1984-present).

What I find interesting about that list, is that in another 12 years Anderson will have owned the book longer than Church.

Yes he did. John and I talked about this at length a year or so ago when he expressed his regret over doing that (touching them up), and freely admitted what books they were.

I made a post about this (with John's permission) with a lot of details after our conversation.