• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"The Dentist" transaction date

114 posts in this topic

He sold those books to afford the Mile High business advertisement he placed in the centerfolds of all the Marvel Comics in the early 80's. I think he said it cost $50,000 for those ads, so he sold the Actions to cover those costs.

Did Chuck express regret at purchasing those ads or did he think they were effective advertising? It would seem to me that an ad in Marvel comics would not be the best way to target back issue collectors because too great a proportion of the circulation would be represented by kids who would not be shelling out the big bucks.

???

He sold those books to afford the Mile High business advertisement he placed in the centerfolds of all the Marvel Comics in the early 80's. I think he said it cost $50,000 for those ads, so he sold the Actions to cover those costs.

Did Chuck express regret at purchasing those ads or did he think they were effective advertising? It would seem to me that an ad in Marvel comics would not be the best way to target back issue collectors because too great a proportion of the circulation would be represented by kids who would not be shelling out the big bucks.

???

If I remember correctly, those ads were hugely successful for him.

Well, not everything in those ads were big dollar books. And think about the completely different market dynamics of the time: You'd have been looking at 20+ years of mostly large, continuous runs. And more importantly, no collected editions. If you were reading current FF at the time, chances are you wanted to start going back and filling in your run.

???

I started collecting in 1977 and bought from Mile High because of those ads.

I haven't read the comments section on your Most Valuable Comics list in while. You have the patience of Job. lol

"I have a stack of Marvel comics from the 1980's. Can you tell me how much they're worth?"

Read the comments on my appraisal page. Those are really trying... Superman 75 shows up every two weeks.

You are a saint. Although that DV8 27 "recalled" issue sounds intriguing.

That was exactly what I was thinking.

I actually spent some time looking for information on that book. I found nothing. Doesn't mean it's not out there somewhere, of course.

If it is true, it would be something really wild - an unknown find from a book that actually exists. I don't believe it, but youkneverknow.

Did Snyder ever discuss selling restored Church books to the "Dentist"?

Yes he did. John and I talked about this at length a year or so ago when he expressed his regret over doing that (touching them up), and freely admitted what books they were.

I made a post about this (with John's permission) with a lot of details after our conversation.

Do you have a link for this posting? I looked, but came up empty.

???

If I remember correctly, those ads were hugely successful for him.

Yes and if you listen to Chuck tell it, by buying those ads, he saved Marvel Comics and assured the future of comics. :acclaim:

???

I started collecting in 1977 and bought from Mile High because of those ads.

They certainly are burned into every collectors brain who grew up in that era. I still stop and check out the prices today when I flip through old books.

Did Snyder ever discuss selling restored Church books to the "Dentist"?

Yes he did. John and I talked about this at length a year or so ago when he expressed his regret over doing that (touching them up), and freely admitted what books they were.

I made a post about this (with John's permission) with a lot of details after our conversation.

Now that's really interesting - I wonder how touched-up Church books suddenly became unrestored while in the Dentist's possession, he sold them as such, only years later to have them (e.g., Green Lantern 1) receive PLOD's from CGC?

hm

Here is a side story that is quite amazing, and had quite an impact back in the day. For some of you old-timers, you might remember the name Alex Acevedo. He decided early on that he wanted to put the MH collection back together. So he starting buying every Edgar Church/Mile High copy he saw for a number of years. Because collectors & dealers knew he was trying to buy them all, and because he was VERY well off financially, the prices he was paying for the Edgar Church/Mile High books really started to take off and the multiples of guide paid for these books jumped significantly.

At this point Alex had accumulated 4200 Edgar Church/Mile High books. He then contacted John Mclaughlin (whom also was very well off) in an attempt to get the 3000 Edgar Church/Mile Highs he owned. Well, that did not go well, and due to a misunderstanding John said he would NEVER sell his books to Alex, so Alex could never put the entire collection back together. It was at this point Alex got fed up & frustrated with the whole thing & decided to sell all 4200 of his books.

He then went to Geppi and offered him all 4200 books for $420,000. Once again, due to things not going the way he wanted, that deal fell through and Alex walked away from the deal, later selling all 4200 books to Verzyl in a deal that took 5 years to complete. I won't go into further detail, but it was probably the largest single movement of Edgar Church/Mile High books since the initial purchase.

Here is a side story that is quite amazing, and had quite an impact back in the day. For some of you old-timers, you might remember the name Alex Acevedo. He decided early on that he wanted to put the MH collection back together. So he starting buying the books for a number of years. Because collectors & dealers knew he was trying to buy them all, and because he was VERY well off financially, the prices he was paying for the Edgar Church/Mile High books really started to take off and the multiples of guide paid for these books jumped significantly.

At this point Alex had accumulated 4200 Edgar Church/Mile High books. He then contacted John Mclaughlin (whom also was verty well off) in an attempt to get the 3000 Edgar Church/Mile Highs he owned. Well, that did not go well, and due to a misunderstanding John said he would NEVER sell his books to Alex, so Alex could never put the entire collection back together. It was at this point Alex got fed up & frustrated with the whole thing & decided to sell all 4200 of his books.

He then went to Geppi and offered him all 4200 books for $420,000. Once again, due to things not going the way he wanted, that deal fell through and Alex walked away from the deal, later selling all 4200 books to Verzyl in a deal that took 5 years to complete. I won't go into further detail, but it was probably the largest single movement of Edgar Church/Mile High books since the initial purchase.

Fascinating stuff. Is this how Verzyl acquired the Church Timelys?

Here is a side story that is quite amazing, and had quite an impact back in the day. For some of you old-timers, you might remember the name Alex Acevedo. He decided early on that he wanted to put the MH collection back together. So he starting buying the books for a number of years. Because collectors & dealers knew he was trying to buy them all, and because he was VERY well off financially, the prices he was paying for the Edgar Church/Mile High books really started to take off and the multiples of guide paid for these books jumped significantly.

At this point Alex had accumulated 4200 Edgar Church/Mile High books. He then contacted John Mclaughlin (whom also was verty well off) in an attempt to get the 3000 Edgar Church/Mile Highs he owned. Well, that did not go well, and due to a misunderstanding John said he would NEVER sell his books to Alex, so Alex could never put the entire collection back together. It was at this point Alex got fed up & frustrated with the whole thing & decided to sell all 4200 of his books.

Fascinating stuff. Is this how Verzyl acquired the Church Timelys?

Much of them, some he bought directly from Chuck.

Here is a side story that is quite amazing, and had quite an impact back in the day. For some of you old-timers, you might remember the name Alex Acevedo. He decided early on that he wanted to put the MH collection back together. So he starting buying every Edgar Church/Mile High copy he saw for a number of years. Because collectors & dealers knew he was trying to buy them all, and because he was VERY well off financially, the prices he was paying for the Edgar Church/Mile High books really started to take off and the multiples of guide paid for these books jumped significantly.

that's nutty.

that's nutty.

$100 per book. Imagine what those 4200 books are worth today.

I understand that he was not the one who "touched up" the books. How was he to know they were restored then?

Oh brother...

BTW, I just sent you a PM about the hundred million dollars being transferred to your account from a bank in Nigeria. Just follow the directions and send the "security deposit" to the provided address, and it will all be OK. (thumbs u

that's nutty.

$100 per book. Imagine what those 4200 books are worth today.

You could probably pull 4-5 books that would be worth 420,000 right now.