• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

March Madness Grading Tournament Round of 32

173 posts in this topic

Whiner

The format works

:whistle:

It's worked for 4 years or so.

You know what the rules are. Play by them.

It's not like anything has changed or sneaks up on you when you least expect it. lol

hm

A little too much over-thinking caused me to lower my grade one notch on the GSMOKF. :cry: That cost me a clean sweep! :cry::cry:

I did the same on the last book.

Learn to trust your instincts, you must. hm

hm

A little too much over-thinking caused me to lower my grade one notch on the GSMOKF. :cry: That cost me a clean sweep! :cry::cry:

Fortunately I waffled up a notch on the last book to nail it, but that was based on a specific flaw I was looking at and pondering. The mistaken grade change was just pure grade flailing!

I really don't know yet whether I'm moving on or not. But now that it's fresh in my mind again, I'd like to bring something up. We can maybe continue with the existing format for this contest, but it seems unfair to me that guesses .2 off get 15 points while guesses .5 off only get 10 points.

Example: Let's say a book that's posted ends up an 8.5. If you nailed it, great, you get 20 points. But if you didn't nail it, your only options below and above that number are 8.0 and 9.0 or .5 off. So in this case you can only get 20 points, 10 points or less.

Now let's say we have a book posted that ends up a 9.2. Again, if you nail it you get 20 points. But the guesses below and above that are 9.0 and 9.4 or .2 off. In this case you can get 20 points, 15 points (for the 9.0 or 9.4), 10 points (but only if you guessed 9.6) or less.

In the first scenario, you only get 10 points for being one grade off. But in the second scenario you get 15 points for being one grade off. See my point?

I'm always open to revising the scoring if the need arises, and have in the past. The 2 points if you are 1.2 grades off was added after the first year when there were too many overtime games and it gave credit to one team who was within 1.2 over the other who was further off. It is rare that comes into play, but it may have several times this round. All the scores are reletive and were formed to replicate a basketball score, and as far as I can tell, the player with the closest grades always wins. If it turns out that is not the case then something needs to be done.

I discussed revising the scoring with several boardies last year and it was decided that it works fine. If anyone else feels the scoring needs to be revised go ahead and shoot me a PM and please offer a suggestion along with it. If you like it like it is- let me know that too!

The biggest problem I could see is when a book is 9.0. You could feasibly run into a case where someone guesses 9.2 (one grade high) and gets 15 points where the guy who guesses 8.5 (one grade low) only gets 10 points.

hm

Fortunately I waffled up a notch on the last book to nail it, but that was based on a specific flaw I was looking at and pondering. The mistaken grade change was just pure grade flailing!

Wow! I actually feel a little better knowing that my mistakes on the Iron Man really didn't matter...I had the same grades on the MOKF 3 and GL 78 but it was over by the Hulk 118 spine split business. Heck of a job Warlord...best of luck in the sweet 16 :applause:

:news: ROUND OF 32 FINAL SCORES :news:

1. MrLatko 52

8. Mastercontlprogram 45

4. CKP1680 70

12. DiceX 90

3. Davedawgbg 55

6. Loki 32

7. Comicdey 65

2. Resurrection 62

2. DJPinkpanther67 30

10. TheHumanTorch 32

11. Inconceivable 42

3. Boboset 60

4. Canickus 55

5. SCKAO 75

8. Zuckuss2003 35

1. TRMoore54 32

8. Warlord 90

16. BorderlineHoarder 47

13. DCMAN 47

12. MARMAT 40

6. TSIMANGA 42

14. ARK 37

15. TimMay 75

10. BlackLantern 45

2. AJD 60

7. Musicmeta 55

11. BURNALLMABKS 42

3. grinin 35

4. Bryan91 85

5. Shark 55

8. Blowupthemoon 77

1. Toro 70

The biggest problem I could see is when a book is 9.0. You could feasibly run into a case where someone guesses 9.2 (one grade high) and gets 15 points where the guy who guesses 8.5 (one grade low) only gets 10 points.

I don't see that as much of a problem. 9.2 is closer to 9 than 8.5 is. 9.2 is only slightly incrementaly better than 9.0, it generally may be priced much higher, but structurally, the difference is only slight and more difficult to detect- therefore the higher score.

The other thing to consider is that this is March Madness. Spot on grades are rewarded, no playing it safe...do or die! :ohnoez::whee:

I think the issue which should be addressed, and I will work on, is a scoring revision that takes into account a book which is graded out as an 8.0, one team gives it a 4.0 versus the team who gives it a 6.5. Currently they both get zero, but the person closest should get some credit. Food for thought next year. (shrug)

And the survivors in Bold....quite a few good scores that ran into tough competition.

DiceX 90

Warlord 90

Bryan91 85

Blowupthemoon 77

SCKAO 75

TimMay 75

Toro 70

CKP1680 70

Comicdey 65

Resurrection 62

Boboset 60

AJD 60