• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark Haspel is Taking a Leave of Absence

140 posts in this topic

I wish Mark the best during his leave of absence and I hope to bump into him while I'm here in Orlando.

Mark has become a friend of ours over the years, and I can say that he is genuinely a true comic nerd. As far as I'm concerned, he's a straight shooter. Lou thinks so too.

(thumbs u

Mark is liquidating his collection. :o

Is this kind of like Buffett selling all his shares?

Since he hasn't been allowed to buy (or sell) since 2000 does that mean all his books are raw?

I wonder if he will get them slabbed first.

Q: CGC is described as independent and third-party. What does that mean?

A: CGC does not buy or sell comic books and does not have a financial interest in the comic books that we certify. In fact, employees of CGC are prohibited from buying and selling comic books commercially.

It's probably a safe bet that "commercially" caveat on the prohibition wasn't tossed in randomly.

hm Interesting caveat there... I had never read much into that.

There's one sentence that sums up press release: "Mark will continue to work with CGC as a consultant during his leave."

Best of all worlds... Work with, not for CGC, free to deal comics commercially, while receiving income from CGC as a "consultant".

Unless I'm reading it wrong.

Whats the point of having cake if you cant eat it?

Posted on 3/24/2011

Mark Haspel is taking a leave of absence for personal reasons.

Mark Haspel, president of CGC Comics has announced he will be taking a leave of absence but will be rejoining the company within a year. Haspel will be taking the time off for personal reasons and looks forward to returning to the company. Mark will continue to work with CGC as a consultant during his leave.

“Our senior grading team has been working together for almost a decade and are fully capable of ensuring there will be no change to the quality of grading our customers have come to expect from us,” said Steve Eichenbaum, CEO of Certified Collectibles Group, CGC’s parent company. “There have been many instances when Mark has been out of the office or on vacation over the years where our other senior graders have taken on his workload and the quality has always been the same,” he went on to say. "We look forward to his return.”

Haspel joined CGC at its inception in 2000. As CGC’S top pedigree expert, Mark has reviewed every book submitted to CGC as a pedigree and has seen more pedigreed comic books than almost any other professional. “After a decade of grading books, I need a short break to take care of some personal issues and to liquidate some of my inventory that I’ve had for years as a result of not being able to actively buy and sell as per CGC’s internal code of ethics,” said Haspel.

CGC is the first independent, impartial, expert third-party comic book grading service. A proven and respected commitment to integrity, accuracy, consistency and impartiality has made CGC the leader in its field. In fact, in 2007, CGC crossed the million-book mark and has now graded nearly 1.5 million comic books.

I do hope all as well, but I can only imagine the wonderful books he has accumulated. I am down to only five books on my want list and I am sure I can get four of them with just some patience, but I figured if I wanted to complete my collection I would have to come hat-in-hand to Mark begging for him to let the last one go. The only image I have seen was from his collection online that I stumbled across at some point.

Leaving for personal reasons I understand and hope all is well for him. Leaving so he can sell his collection...that's an interesting addition to the story.

very

Very, very. After reflecting on this, I don't think it's unusual that the reason for the absence and the desire to sell books would be completely separate but related things. Could be Mark needs the money for something. Either way, it's not really my business. Sorry for the implication.

You are right. I didn't mean anything suspicious was going on. I also hope Mark is well and comes back. I met him once and he was nice.

Anyone know what kind and quality of books he has? Roy? You've got to know.

I'm as interested to find out as you are.

:)

I may be able to help you guys with this question. I first met Mark last year at SDCC and we talked greatly about comics, CGC, etc. I asked him what kind of collection he has. He told me that he collects low graded comics and may have complete runs of them. He didn't tell me any specifics. So there you have it. Great guy and I wish him the best during his time of leave. Hope all is well with him!

Knowing Mark from way before CGC, he has always collected extremely rare golden age books in just about any grade. Stuff that you never see. Stuff that there are probably only 10 - 20 copies of alot of them, and Mark probably has multiples.

Knowing Mark from way before CGC, he has always collected extremely rare golden age books in just about any grade. Stuff that you never see. Stuff that there are probably only 10 - 20 copies of alot of them, and Mark probably has multiples.

Good info Dale.

And I'll bet a fair number of them are not graded. Kinda like the mechanic that always drives the broken down beater.

I wish Mark the best during his leave of absence and I hope to bump into him while I'm here in Orlando.

Mark has become a friend of ours over the years, and I can say that he is genuinely a true comic nerd. As far as I'm concerned, he's a straight shooter. Lou thinks so too.

(thumbs u

Oh, no doubt about it; I have complete trust in Mark's ethics and CGC reliability.

I was just amused by the hypothetical prospect of resubmitting a book that you or I would probably grade 9.0 or better; of course, we're biased. (Hint, hint ...If the temp job is offered, take it!) :devil:

I may be able to help you guys with this question. I first met Mark last year at SDCC and we talked greatly about comics, CGC, etc. I asked him what kind of collection he has. He told me that he collects low graded comics and may have complete runs of them. He didn't tell me any specifics. So there you have it. Great guy and I wish him the best during his time of leave. Hope all is well with him!

Well , there it is! "low graded comics and may have complete runs of them". X-farce?

(thumbs u

Oh, no doubt about it; I have complete trust in Mark's ethics and CGC reliability.

I was just amused by the hypothetical prospect of resubmitting a book that you or I would probably grade 9.0 or better; of course, we're biased. (Hint, hint ...If the temp job is offered, take it!) :devil:

lol

Good info Dale.

And I'll bet a fair number of them are not graded. Kinda like the mechanic that always drives the broken down beater.

lol I guess if he tells you it is a 4.0, you are going to have a hard time arguing.

Good info Dale.

lol I guess if he tells you it is a 4.0, you are going to have a hard time arguing.

:signfunny:lol

In the last few years, I've seen Mark inquire about and buy books that are more mainstream.