• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chess for 2, 3 or 4

20 posts in this topic

Looks like fun Mike. I like the Fallout game boxes in the background even better.

Best game evah.

Yea... Fallout was awesome !

This chess game was manufactured by a company in Los Angeles in 1976 and limited to 1000 copies. Titled Quadra-Chess, me and a buddy went halves on it and played quite a bit. We even took it to the SDCC in '77 and set it up out by the pool. Alot of people stopped by to take a look as we battled with 2 armies each.....

I think the license must have been sold cuz I'm sure I've seen smaller wooden sets in game stores around the holidays.

So, Mike, on the 4-sided chess board, do you play teams or free-for-all?

Any and all. You can play 1v1v1v1 or 2v2 or 1v1 with 2 armies each. The tricky part is, at least in a 1v1v1v1 game....you only get to move once every four turns. So if one guy puts you in check.... the other players can rip you up while you wait for your turn to escape or block.

Also, all pieces move the same except pawns who can move double whatever they could move on a regular board. So up to 4 spaces on a first move.....and 1 or 2 on every move after that

So, Mike, on the 4-sided chess board, do you play teams or free-for-all?

Any and all. You can play 1v1v1v1 or 2v2 or 1v1 with 2 armies each. The tricky part is, at least in a 1v1v1v1 game....you only get to move once every four turns. So if one guy puts you in check.... the other players can rip you up while you wait for your turn to escape or block.

Also, all pieces move the same except pawns who can move double whatever they could move on a regular board. So up to 4 spaces on a first move.....and 1 or 2 on every move after that

Interesting. I can see that in either version of the game you would really need to watch out for where you keep your king and to a slightly lessor extent your queen. After all, if one player chases your king or queen, the other player could slide in and take your big pieces.

2v2 would work out better because at least your partner could be doing something while you're under attack.

startrek.jpg

I remember my Dad got this set as a gift back in the day, and spent way too long pretending he and our neighbor actually knew how to play it.

:D

startrek.jpg

I remember my Dad got this set as a gift back in the day, and spent way too long pretending he and our neighbor actually knew how to play it.

I can understand ( I think) of the top three tiers.... but I'm not sure what to do with that middle one ??

How many chess players are here?

I haven't played in years.

I've always wanted to have a board setup and have a game going for weeks on end like in Bladerunner where he calls from elevator and proposes a move.

BTW dupont... I just noticed, the color of your Trekky chessboard photo is the same colors as Devo's blue energy dome !! hm

You must be Devo !!

I saw it first :acclaim:

startrek.jpg

How many chess players are here?

I haven't played in years.

I've always wanted to have a board setup and have a game going for weeks on end like in Bladerunner where he calls from elevator and proposes a move.

It's been a long while for me too.

startrek.jpg

I can understand ( I think) of the top three tiers.... but I'm not sure what to do with that middle one ??

Without the middle level, there's not much "battleground". Just a guess.

startrek.jpg

Without the middle level, there's not much "battleground". Just a guess.

hmmmm....?? an actual chess-board has 64 squares, but that one only has 60. 4 squares less hm

That will tweak your strategic math