• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have there been any good Amazing Spidermans made in the last 20 years?

19 posts in this topic

I stopped collecting ASM around 1991 when I lost interest in all the gimmic covers.

Over the last twenty years, what have I missed?

I've been reading the Ultimate Spidermans in TPB and I've been reasonably happy with many of those.

Is there anything worth seeking out as back issues in ASM?

A few bright spots. JMS's run had some good stories, up until the Gwen/Spidey cocoon/Mephisto garbage. BND on has been pretty good, story wise, if you can overlook the 500-pound gorilla retcon in the room.

A few bright spots. JMS's run had some good stories, up until the Gwen/Spidey cocoon/Mephisto garbage. BND on has been pretty good, story wise, if you can overlook the 500-pound gorilla retcon in the room.

Marvel in general over the last 20 years:

A few bright spots. (Insert quality creative talent here) run had some good stories, up until the (Insert universally hated story arc) garbage. (Insert latest marginally acceptable story arc) has been pretty good, story wise, if you can overlook the 500-pound gorilla retcon in the room.

I picked up the title again for the first time wtih issue 600 after many years of not reading it and have looked forward to it every month ever since.

The key for me is to remember that one person is going to write a character a little different than someone else....which is really easy to do in the early 600s with the rotating creative team. But, you'll see what I mean when you see a story featuring The Sandman and then less than 10 issues later he pops up and his personality is slightly different than previously seen.

One of the most shocking stories in the 600s has been those involving The Lizard.

Start at Brand New Day. It has all been good. Some of it has been great. If you just want one issue as an example, pick up #617. A great one and done.

(thumbs u Stories are great, art...not so much. They need to stick to one artist. Too much I guess for one artist at 3 times a month...or is it 2 now?!

Start at Brand New Day. It has all been good. Some of it has been great. If you just want one issue as an example, pick up #617. A great one and done.

(thumbs u Stories are great, art...not so much. They need to stick to one artist. Too much I guess for one artist at 3 times a month...or is it 2 now?!

Humberto Ramos shouldn't even be working in the comic book industry :sick:

They lost me when Romita Jr jumped in...

I liked issue 500.

If I recall correctly, it had Peter at the airport to pick up MJ, when the place is taken over by terrorists. Steve Rogers is also there, so Spider-Man and Captain America fix the situation, and then it had some good relationship advice from Cap on dealing with MJ.

A nice, refreshing one-off by Straczynski.

I liked issue 500.

If I recall correctly, it had Peter at the airport to pick up MJ, when the place is taken over by terrorists. Steve Rogers is also there, so Spider-Man and Captain America fix the situation, and then it had some good relationship advice from Cap on dealing with MJ.

Thats wasnt 500

Issue 500 finds Peter Parker spending his birthday as Spider-Man battling an inter-dimensional threat that descends on Manhattan. Fighting alongside Spidey is a who's who of Marvel Universe guest-stars, including the Fantastic Four, Thor, Iron Man, the X-Men's Cyclops and Dr. Strange. The battle culminates in a trip through time, where Peter/Spider-Man meets ALL of his greatest adversaries like Doctor Octopus and the Green Goblin.

After the battle Peter Gets 5 minutes to talk with the Ghost of Uncle Ben

The Spidey/Cap/Dr Doom was in Amazing Spider-Man #491 /AKA 50

Nice ending as well

I liked issue 500.

Thats wasnt 500

Issue 500 finds Peter Parker spending his birthday as Spider-Man battling an inter-dimensional threat that descends on Manhattan. Fighting alongside Spidey is a who's who of Marvel Universe guest-stars, including the Fantastic Four, Thor, Iron Man, the X-Men's Cyclops and Dr. Strange. The battle culminates in a trip through time, where Peter/Spider-Man meets ALL of his greatest adversaries like Doctor Octopus and the Green Goblin.

Nice ending as well

Please tell me you had to look all that up on the web.

I liked issue 500.

Thats wasnt 500

Nice ending as well

Please tell me you had to look all that up on the web.

I remembered most of it.

I remembered 500 vividly ( cause I have a book CGC'd SS by the entire team) and I recalled the Bit with Uncle Ben..

I had to look up the Captain America bit