• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a book nobody else on this forum owns....

298 posts in this topic

Here's a couple of rare fanzines that I doubt anyone else has, both with Robert E. Howard contributions. The first is from 1936 and was published by Donald Wollheim. It's the first publication of REH's "The Hyborian Age" essay.

PhantagraphFeb1936.jpg

PhantagraphFeb1936Interior.jpg

Can't say for sure but I haven't seen these posted...

MURDERINCV2003_35_COW1.jpg

MOLLYODAY001_65_OW1.jpg

CLAIREVOYANT3_65_COW1.jpg

Just saw the original art to the cover of the Molly O'Day at C2E2!

lol

Just saw that Roy said the same! It's a beautiful cover, Roy. I hope you get it.

Here's a couple of rare fanzines that I doubt anyone else has, both with Robert E. Howard contributions. The first is from 1936 and was published by Donald Wollheim. It's the first publication of REH's "The Hyborian Age" essay.

PhantagraphFeb1936.jpg

PhantagraphFeb1936Interior.jpg

Now THIS is cool....I imagine it must be incredibly rare. Any idea how many might be out there?

Can't say for sure but I haven't seen these posted...

MOLLYODAY001_65_OW1.jpg

Just saw the original art to the cover of the Molly O'Day at C2E2!

lol

Just saw that Roy said the same! It's a beautiful cover, Roy. I hope you get it.

Sweet Jesus, Moondog! That Molly O'Day is a rare sight indeed. Nice books, man. (thumbs u

Now THIS is cool....I imagine it must be incredibly rare. Any idea how many might be out there?

I know of one other copy for sure. Bowling Green might have one in their fanzine collection. I can't imagine that there would be more than a dozen or so left. In addition to the REH story, there are also a couple of other contibutions that I think you'll appreciate. :)

phantagraphHPL.jpg

phantagraphCAS.jpg

The Marvel Tales is scare but not nearly as rare as the Phantagraph. Copies do pop up on ebay occasionly (I think there's one on there now). It actually has two different variant covers. Here's the other verson:

marveltalesorange.jpg

I know of one other copy for sure. Bowling Green might have one in their fanzine collection. I can't imagine that there would be more than a dozen or so left. In addition to the REH story, there are also a couple of other contibutions that I think you'll appreciate. :)

phantagraphHPL.jpg

Excellent :applause:

So I'm familiar with the amateur press organizations and publications that those guys (especially HPL, but also others in that group) dabbled in. Where does the amateur press end and fanzines begin? Any of the references I've read in various pieces of scholarship of the time to periodicals like this mention them as amateur press publications. Am I just nitpicking, are there differences in the two terms, or are they basically the same thing? Or did the former evolve into the latter?

Great stuff.

My understanding of the difference between an APA and a Fanzine is that the distribution list of an APA is limited to the members while the Fanzine is sold to anyone. That is, under an APA, you have to join and the membership # is limited and in order to remain in status, you need to meet the contribution requirement, let's say 10 pages over a whole year or 4 issues for a quarterly newsletter. For a fanzine, all I have to do is pay my $$ and I'll receive an issue.

The terms tend to be used interchangebly, but whether that's accurate or not I don't know for sure. The lines between fan and pro type publications are really blurry during this time as many guys that started out as fans sending out a few mimeographed sheets to their friends in 1930 were full-on publishers by 1940. Wollheim os a great example of that. The Marvel Tales is probably what we would call a prozine today, but I don't think that term was in use in the 30's.

True APA's are a little different in that you have a set number of members that each make regular contributions and an editor that takes everyone's contributions, collates them together and then sends the combined mailing back out to all the members. REHupa is a modern day example of this.

Edit: Scrooge beat me to it. :)

This book is listed as scarce in the guide but it is rarer than a gerber 9. It was only given away in 1964 in Harlem only. I was so happy to find this copy with 3 pieces of tape and a missing piece at the bottom that I did not know what to do!!!!!!! lol

youth001.jpg