• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Anaheim Comic Con 2011 - April 29-30, May 1

92 posts in this topic

Hey Spiderman,

Although you think you are correct and there is no arguing, I will just say that our dealer reports, sign-ups, res-signs, feedback, and overall numbers do not bear out what you are saying. Every part of this show is greater than last year. We have more vendors, more dealers, more sponsors, more pre-tickets sold, more celebs, more of everything. I do not think our shows are for you, and that's ok. I didn't actually ask for feedback on the boards, I was just posting the info so it would be helpful for others to decide if they like our list. Maybe other people have different tastes than you. And as for Michael Golden, I think anyone who knows anything about comics would disagree. I will not respond to you anymore and I wish you happy collecting. -Stephen

Well when you post on a feedback web-site that is what you get.

All I am getting is private PM from people who agree, but do not feel like posting in this thread.

The funny thing is you are probably thinking we are arguing or I upset which is not the case.

I am not debating the show will not make money or you have a good amount of pre-sale tickets, cool I am glad.

You just have to realized you are advertising this show on a CGC forum website that mainly deals with old vintage collectibles, and WW Anaheim is massivly lacking that aspect.

WW Anaheim is more of a teeny bopper, anime, TV show driven show with comics being very over-shadowed.

sorry, but for people on this site to be excited to go you need to even have the "comic book" dealer line-up of atleast WW Philly etc....

That's much better.

:baiting:

Who said anything about me caring about PR.

This is my hobby Roy so if I had to be all nice and smiley all day it would be like corporate non-sense I would kill myself.

So I am assuming you will be going to this show over the Boston Con then? :eyeroll::roflmao:

Well, looking at the vendors attending the show and what others have to say about this show, I will probably not be attending. There is a lack of vintage comic dealers for the show and that is really all I am interested in. But hey, those who are going, I hope you guys have a great time! Please post feedback about it.

$30 for one day advance ticket with the almost 20% ticketing fee included for Anaheim.

In contrast $36.99 for 3 day advanced ticket at Emerald City Comic Con a few weeks back with only a $1.99 fee... For a much bigger con with a bigger everything... interesting pricing.

hm

This is my hobby Roy so if I had to be all nice and smiley all day it would be like corporate non-sense I would kill myself.

lol

Hello all,

For those wondering, we actually have very little anime at the show. It's not an area that we hit very hard due to the graphic nature of the material. A look at our vendor, guest and images of our event would show that.

Our demographics also do not bear out some of the comments on here, so outside of second hand and third hand accounts, I actually have first-hand data. I am happy to give you a peek inside, but I assure you that our show primarily attracts family units. If you look at images from our events on our Facebook pages, you can see for yourself.

Like any movie or band, I find that it's always best to try it out for yourself and see if you like it. Some people like indie films and some like blockbusters. It's all personal preference. Our shows have become overflowing with new faces and vendors the past two years, so there is a huge segment, both new and not so new that are clearly being served. We are unapologetic and feel we run a great event. At the end of the day, if it's not for you, it's not for you. Nobody is twisting arms here. We run a great show that consumers, vendors and sponsors are enjoying on a now-monthly basis. Obviously, it's working well, or we wouldn't keep doing it, that would be silly.

To anyone who is coming, please stop by and say hello, and if not...well, enjoy your weekend and happy collecting!

Hello all,

Please everyone who went to this show last year said it was the worst comic book show of the year.

Especially since last year the brains behind the operation put it on the same weekend as C2E2 in Chicago. :eyeroll:

I will be attending this show just because it is close to my house in San Diego.

I am hoping to see some new West Coast dealers, but I doubt it.

IGood luck, and I hope I see more comic dealers in the room even if they are selling junk.

:news:

Shamless Plug, Bunkybrothers will be there with massive 8-10 copies each of SA keys, AF15 ASM ASM, you know the titles, and some other GA goodies, we just picked, Timelys even, (thumbs u

I'm the type to normally let this type of a thread go and was planning on going to Anaheim this year, but considering the killer PR work wizstephen is doing here I changed my mind. I'll just go to Long Beach the week before and skip out.

rantrant Went last year and paid extra for VIP passes expecting early access as marketed. Watched the poorly informed staff try to figure out what that meant shuffling people from line to line. Finally was let in about 10 minutes before others. Hardly felt like a VIP. Picked up some books from the small amount of fine dealers that were in attendance. Overall, a disappointing experience for someone who enjoys comic books. Although if pro wrestlers, power rangers and C/D-list tv stars is your bag this might just be the show of the year. BTW If Wizard runs continues to run comic cons as well as they ran their publication I'm sure we won't have to worry about this much longer.

Hey Kirk,

We have over 220 artists signed up for Anaheim. The 90+ celebs may not be for you, but our fans truly enjoy seeing them.

And in case you missed the press release, the company is now public and has raised quite a few dollars from prominent investors. We are not going anywhere. As a matter of fact, our attendance, vendors, etc has exploded.

Our digital magazine is now consistently ranked in the top 100 on the iPad. We are rolling out our digital strategy and shortly 400,000+ people weekly are going to get the magazine delivered in their inbox.

Like I said previously, we will place 2000-3000 artists at our 13 events this year. That is way more than anyone by far. Nobody brings more creators to more cities than we do.

So, it all depends on what your focus is. Again, if it's not for you, and you don't like the 2000+ creators we have, no problem. Then it's not for you.

Hey Kirk,

We have over 220 artists signed up for Anaheim. The 90+ celebs may not be for you, but our fans truly enjoy seeing them.

And in case you missed the press release, the company is now public and has raised quite a few dollars from prominent investors. We are not going anywhere. As a matter of fact, our attendance, vendors, etc has exploded.

Our digital magazine is now consistently ranked in the top 100 on the iPad. We are rolling out our digital strategy and shortly 400,000+ people weekly are going to get the magazine delivered in their inbox.

Like I said previously, we will place 2000-3000 artists at our 13 events this year. That is way more than anyone by far. Nobody brings more creators to more cities than we do.

So, it all depends on what your focus is. Again, if it's not for you, and you don't like the 2000+ creators we have, no problem. Then it's not for you.

OK....here is some feedback on your approach to marketing and PR. When someone has a concern and legitimate feedback it is not a good strategy to use polarizing statements such as, "Again, if it's not for you, and you don't like the 2000+ creators we have, no problem. Then it's not for you." or " If you miss the show, you're the ones who are missing out." I'd recommend sending a PM with some contact info so that you can hear these people out and try to change their opinions individually. Getting defensive/passive aggressive is not an effective approach to creating promoters of the Wizard brand.

Just wondering if you've run this thread by Wizard Press and Marketing Management? Maybe someone should check? contact info here

Hello all,

Please everyone who went to this show last year said it was the worst comic book show of the year.

Especially since last year the brains behind the operation put it on the same weekend as C2E2 in Chicago. :eyeroll:

I will be attending this show just because it is close to my house in San Diego.

I am hoping to see some new West Coast dealers, but I doubt it.

IGood luck, and I hope I see more comic dealers in the room even if they are selling junk.

:news:

Shamless Plug, Bunkybrothers will be there with massive 8-10 copies each of SA keys, AF15 ASM ASM, you know the titles, and some other GA goodies, we just picked, Timelys even, (thumbs u

Comic books at WW Anaheim? :o

Yes this show for comic books is going to be a joke.

I am just going to the one-day Long Beach show instead. where their will alteast be Vintage Comic Book Dealers.

I would avoid this show unless you like seeing Anime dress-up contests, and one comic book dealer who has .50 modern comic books. (thumbs u

Yes this show for comic books is going to be a joke.

I am just going to the one-day Long Beach show instead. where their will alteast be Vintage Comic Book Dealers.

I would avoid this show unless you like seeing Anime dress-up contests, and one comic book dealer who has .50 modern comic books. (thumbs u

OK...I've meant to say this to you for a while. I have lost hours of my life starring at the GIF in your signature. It's frickin' hypnotic.

Hey Kirk,

I am just here to let everyone know what we have. It's like anything else. Some people will like it, some people won't. I can't force someone to like or love the creators we have. We have invited tons of people, we have called all the dealers, we have done all the marketing and PR we need to.

From our perspective, we have only a few metrics that we judge a show. Did people show up? Did vendors buy booths? After the event, were people satisfied and are they coming back? By every one of these metrics, the show is successful. Whether you agree with that, or like it, or don't like it, I can't really help it. We have over 220 creators at the show. I, like many others, enjoy some art, but not others. I have a certain taste. Others tastes may be different. But we will not denigrate one creator or show in favor of another.

So, all I am saying is this. The show is the show. We have invited everyone and everyone is welcome. If, at the end of the day, you look at the list and decide that the 200+ creators or the dealers or the celebs are not your cup of tea, then that's ok. Some shows go in certain directions and other shows go in other directions. It's the show we choose to run. Perhaps I articulated this better, and I am no psychologist, but I do not like to throw around those terms when you don't know someone. I have not attacked anyone personally here and would expect the same respect in return.

Hey Kirk,

I am just here to let everyone know what we have. It's like anything else. Some people will like it, some people won't. I can't force someone to like or love the creators we have. We have invited tons of people, we have called all the dealers, we have done all the marketing and PR we need to.

From our perspective, we have only a few metrics that we judge a show. Did people show up? Did vendors buy booths? After the event, were people satisfied and are they coming back? By every one of these metrics, the show is successful. Whether you agree with that, or like it, or don't like it, I can't really help it. We have over 220 creators at the show. I, like many others, enjoy some art, but not others. I have a certain taste. Others tastes may be different. But we will not denigrate one creator or show in favor of another.

So, all I am saying is this. The show is the show. We have invited everyone and everyone is welcome. If, at the end of the day, you look at the list and decide that the 200+ creators or the dealers or the celebs are not your cup of tea, then that's ok. Some shows go in certain directions and other shows go in other directions. It's the show we choose to run. Perhaps I articulated this better, and I am no psychologist, but I do not like to throw around those terms when you don't know someone. I have not attacked anyone personally here and would expect the same respect in return.

So I guess you're not taking my advice on how to positively interact with potential customers. Really quite disappointing. You never addressed the core concerns in my original post. Starting with the poor experience last year due organizational issues and ending with how you are interacting with board members here. Good luck with your show. I most definitely will not be in attendance.

Can you give it a rest with the "200+ creators" thing?

The truth of the matter is that, from a comic book perspective, the guest list is laughably weak.

It's not a matter of taste - it's not a matter of us being too narrow-minded to appreciate the level of "talent" you seem hell-bent on promoting - it's a matter of you trying to fill your Comic/Toy Creators quota with the co-host of the "Pop Sickles Podcast", the "Jedi Elvis" and a staggering number of no-name Marvel/DC/indie production artists and pretending that that's what the guest-list for a 3-day comic book show should look like.

I remember when Wizard's shows were famous for bringing the top talent - it's fairly obvious to anyone with half a brain that those days are long gone, but I'd appreciate it if you would stop trying to insult our collective intelligence by claiming that this quantity over quality approach is what people want.

It's not.