• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Comics Artist Impact

16 posts in this topic

Im not a huge DC collector and was trying to find out which artists from silver age or so had the biggest impact on a key DC character. For example I associate Mr Infantino with the Flash. Can you guys tell me if Im on track with these? Also feel free to add more characters...

Hawkman - Toss up between Joe Kubert and Murphy Anderson for me

Atom - Murphy Anderson

Green Arrow - Mike Grell

The Flash - Carmine Infantino

The Joker - Jerry Robinson

Aquaman - Nick Cardy

Superman - ???

Batman - ???

Green Lantern - ???

Batman didn't have a dominating artist until Neal Adams in the late 60's/early 70's unless you consider Carmine Infantino?

Green Lantern- Definitely Gil Kane.

Superman- hm not real sure, maybe Curt Swan and Wayne Boring??

Sgt. Rock - Joe Kubert

Haunted Tank - Russ Heath

Gunner and Sarge - Jerry Grandenetti

Johnny Cloud - Irv Novick

Capt. Storm - Irv Novick

Enemy Ace - Joe Kubert

It's pretty incredible how so many DC characters of that era were seamlessly entwined with their long-run artists. Certainly, in the case of the war books, that was true in spades.

Shep

Biggest impact... Silver Age... I'd have to go with Neal Adams for the redesigned Green Arrow (beginning in Brave & Bold 85). Grell's 1970s Green Arrow work was definitely in Adams' shadow. And Grell's 1980s revamp seems to be outside the scope of your question.

Adam Strange - Carmine Infantino

Im not a huge DC collector and was trying to find out which artists from silver age or so had the biggest impact on a key DC character. For example I associate Mr Infantino with the Flash. Can you guys tell me if Im on track with these? Also feel free to add more characters...

Hawkman - Toss up between Joe Kubert and Murphy Anderson for me

Definitely Kubert

Atom - Murphy Anderson

I would`ve said Gil Kane

Green Lantern - ???

Unquestionably Gil Kane.

GL and the Atom were definitely Kane

Ditto that (thumbs u

agree Atom & GL; Gil Kane as well.

Flash; Infantino,

Hawkman; Kubert

Batman; Bob Kane . . .

Sgt. Rock - Joe Kubert

Haunted Tank - Russ Heath

Gunner and Sarge - Jerry Grandenetti

Johnny Cloud - Irv Novick

Capt. Storm - Irv Novick

Enemy Ace - Joe Kubert

It's pretty incredible how so many DC characters of that era were seamlessly entwined with their long-run artists. Certainly, in the case of the war books, that was true in spades.

Shep

The various DC editors really did have their own proprietary stable of artists in the early 1960s. Bob Kanigher edited Wonder Woman and Metal Men, so there you had Andru & Esposito on both.

Julie Schwartz pretty much exclusively used Infantino, Gil Kane, with Murphy Anderson & Joe Giella as inkers (later adding Sid Greene to the mix). They all moved over from the 1950s sci-fi books together, so when Schwartz started editing the Batman books, everything got that Joe Giella inking polish. And when Schwartz stopped editing Mystery in Space, *poof* no more Infantino Adam Strange. :(

Though primarily a Big 5 war guy partnered with Kanigher, Joe Kubert kind of crossed the aisle occasionally, doing Hawkman for Schwartz, or the occasional Batman or JLA cover.

Nick Cardy was one of George Kashdan's guys, doing Teen Titans and Aquaman.

Curt Swan = Mort Weisinger = the Superman family of books.

As noted, Irv Novick spent most of the 1960s doing the war books, until Schwartz scooped him up and put him on his Batman and Flash comics in the 1970s.

This stable system kind of broke down as the 1960s waned. Neal Adams worked for everyone. After leaving Metal Men & WW, Andru & Esposito split their time between Schwartz's Flash and Weisinger's Superman.

Pretty remarkable how few "guest-artist" fill-in issues DC had in the 1960s. Gil Kane only occasionally missed a GL or had an uncredited ghost assist. But Anderson did every issue of Hawkman edited by Schwartz, Infantino did every single Flash story up until his promotion, the Atom was all Kane up until almost the very end, and of course Sekowsky did every JLA up until he was promoted to editor.

Jack Kirby wasn't the only comics guy in the 1960s with a huge work ethic. :applause:

Infantino: Flash, Adam Strange, Batman (Adams is more of a BA Batman guy)

Gil Kane: GL, Atom

Cardy: Aquaman, Titans, Bat Lash ( :luhv: )

Anderson: Hawkman

Swan: all things Superman

I'm not cool enough to know about the Sci Fi & Western stuff, but Kubert & Anderson seem to be everywhere in those genres.

Hawkman - Joe Kubert and then Murphy Anderson

Atom - Gil Kane

Green Arrow - Neal Adams

The Flash - Carmine Infantino

Aquaman - Ramona Fradon and then Nick Cardy

Superman - Wayne Boring and then Curt Swan

Batman - Sheldon Moldoff, then Carmine Infantino, then Neal Adams, then Irv Novick and Jim Aparo,

Green Lantern - Gil Kane

JLA - Mike Sekowsky and then Dillin

Sea Devils - Russ Heath

Wonder Woman - Mike Esposito & Ross Andru

Metal Men - Mike Esposito & Ross Andru

Challengers of the Unknown - Jack Kirby and then Dillin

Adam Strange - Carmine Infantino

Teen Titans - Nick Cardy

The only work I don't like is Wayne Boring on Superman, Carmine Infantino on Batman and Mike Sekowsky on JLA.

:cool:

P.S.: To whom it may concern, Mr. Dillin does have a proper first name you know. I'll give you a clue. It's not "spoon"; nor is it Dirk.

:frustrated: