• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nonplayer #1 by Image

153 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

This is Nate, the guy who made the very slow comic about which you are speaking. Someone contacted me and mentioned that creators occasionally swing by these forums, so I thought I'd surface to answer any questions you had about the book.

I should report that linework and first-pass color are complete for Nonplayer #2, but I've still got some polish to do. I'm shooting for end of the year, plus the usual publishing turnaround time. So fingers crossed, the second issue will be on stands early 2014. I know, it is preposterous how slowly this comic is coming out. Feel free to call me out on that.

For my part, the second issue was delayed by the following things:

1. I draw slowly.

2. I got distracted by the success of the first issue and took my eye off the ball. After finishing the first 1/3 of number 2, I realized I was making lazy garbage and had to start over.

3. I broke my shoulder (but that's all fine now).

4. I got a day job.

5. I had a kid.

Regardless, I now get up at 3am every morning to put in four hours on the book before leaving for work. The book is going faster than it ever has, and I'm hoping to carry that momentum forward into #3.

The few people who have seen #2 in progress say that it is better than the first, so I'm hoping you guys will like it.

Anyway, questions. If there are any, I'm happy to answer them here. Oh, also, I have a question for you guys: do you think it makes sense to reprint #1 at the same time #2 comes out, in case new folks want to try it out?

Thanks,

Nate

Hi guys,

This is Nate, the guy who made the very slow comic about which you are speaking. Someone contacted me and mentioned that creators occasionally swing by these forums, so I thought I'd surface to answer any questions you had about the book.

I should report that linework and first-pass color are complete for Nonplayer #2, but I've still got some polish to do. I'm shooting for end of the year, plus the usual publishing turnaround time. So fingers crossed, the second issue will be on stands early 2014. I know, it is preposterous how slowly this comic is coming out. Feel free to call me out on that.

1. I draw slowly.

2. I got distracted by the success of the first issue and took my eye off the ball. After finishing the first 1/3 of number 2, I realized I was making lazy garbage and had to start over.

4. I got a day job.

5. I had a kid.

Regardless, I now get up at 3am every morning to put in four hours on the book before leaving for work. The book is going faster than it ever has, and I'm hoping to carry that momentum forward into #3.

The few people who have seen #2 in progress say that it is better than the first, so I'm hoping you guys will like it.

Anyway, questions. If there are any, I'm happy to answer them here. Oh, also, I have a question for you guys: do you think it makes sense to reprint #1 at the same time #2 comes out, in case new folks want to try it out?

Thanks,

Nate

Nate,

Welcome to the boards.

Thanks for making yourself available.

ML.

If you did a $1 version of the first issue at release or just made the #2 with the #1 reprinted in it to start it, it would sell better. That first issue was awesome, but it's been a long time, and people have short memories when it comes to a book having one issue followed by years of nothing. If you did a regular priced reprint of #1, you would really need to give it a completely different cover and some inside stuff to make it more of an incentive for people who already have the regular #1 to buy it. Just my 2 cents, and Welcome to the boards!!

An Image Firsts would be great timing with # 2. Sorry to hear how life interrupted your work but it looks like something great came out of it. WTTB and looking forward to # 2!!!

Nate, I do think it would be worthwhile printing #1 again because I'm sure there are a lot of people who didn't hear about it at the time or have come in to comics since #1 was printed who would like a chance to check it out. A lot more people are giving Image #1s a shot these days. A different cover would be cool because you might get people who already bought #1 buying the new printing too.

Edit: Also I wouldn't go with an Image firsts, just a regular copy of #1.

I second the idea for another printing of #1. It was very hot when it first came out, and the initial run is most likely completely out of any store's inventory. If the new printing of #1 and #2 came out on the same day, I think someone would be more likely to pick up #2 if #1 was available.

BTW, if you did this, it would be a third print, right? I also agree that a new cover or at least a new color scheme would be a nice additional incentive to pick up the reprinted #1.

Hi guys,

1. I draw slowly.

4. I got a day job.

5. I had a kid.

Thanks,

Nate

Thanks for saying so. It's just that this started with a bang and left us all hanging. But I for one think that it IS that good that I can hang in there for a while. With great art comes great waits.....We forgive everything but the breaking of the arm...really you should be more careful.... we all need you healthy to finish this...hehe good work and looking forward to an issue....and if you really want to be our friends let us order a special variant...

Big welcome to Nate. Love your work, man.

On the subject of a 3rd printing of #1, it could be warranted if the series is going to become monthly. I'm not sure how likely that is. Hopefully Nate can fill us in on what lies ahead.

If people want to read #1, the 2nd print is available at MCS for only a couple of bucks and is well worth it.

Nonplayer #1 2nd Print

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. It's cool to hear that there's still some interest in the book out there, and I'm heartened that the well of forgiveness still seems not to have run dry (either here or at Image).

The consensus here seems to be leaning strongly in favor of a reprint of #1, with most of you wishing for a new or at least modified cover. That sounds like a good idea to me, too. There may be some other ways to introduce new content for the third printing -- the pinup section could give way to a making-of section that shows some concept art and pages in progress. Does that sound like a decent value-add?

Another possibility that was floated by Image was to collect the first two issues into a European-style large format hardback. That's a thing that works overseas, but the jury's out on whether North Americans would want 60 pages in such a cumbersome binding. If such a thing existed, would it be of interest to you?

Finally, I sold quite a few copies of issue 1 through my web store (nonplayer.storenvy.com - posters still available!), and I have been thinking about selling two versions of issue 2 (and potentially the 3rd printing of issue 1). One version would just be a simple signed copy, while the other could have something a little bit special at a higher price point. Maybe a doodle or something on an insert page? What would you guys like to see as a bit of bonus content, and what do you think would be a fair price point for that kind of upgrade?

Oh, also, I'm working on printing up large posters of the final 2 page spread of issue 1. So there should be a lot of stuff up at the store.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. This is really helpful stuff.

Hi guys,

1. I draw slowly.

4. I got a day job.

5. I had a kid.

Thanks,

Nate

please do an Image First because i missed out, am not spending big money on the first issue, and won't read the second until i read the first (i would buy an image first plus issue #2 fyi)