• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's a GA Bump ?

49 posts in this topic

I've had CGC grade probably around 1000 books from all ages since CGC started up.

From this experience, I have the following opinion about an "age bump." This is solely my opinion based on observation and my own experience. I could be completly and utterly wrong.

I believe that the age of a book is used to give books a "cushion". So, if the books are being "scored" out of "100", an 89 may get a modern book a CGC 9.0, but an 89 may be good enough for a CGC 9.2. or a CGC 9.4 on a 50 year old book.

Did I say this was my opinion and I could be wrong? Good. Do I think that's bad or good? No comment. It is what it is. Since the standard is a trade secret, we are in the dark.

Let me just state that i'm a GA guy all day, every day. That's my thang.

That said, I thought the GA bump was a complete myth until I slabbed this book. After I got it back, I had some doubts. Please note this is a thick book, and there were areas of the cover, along the spine that were gone. Some at the top and bottom and near the upper staple if I recall. I think the missing piece from the top was maybe a 1/2" in length. You can kind of get an idea of where there was some missing material along the spine based on the white areas.

What grade would you say this book is? I still remember comments I got in the spare a grade forum years ago. I'm curious to see comparisons from now and back then.

MoreFun58front.jpg

MoreFun58back.jpg

Was the paper completely missing in those spots or just the color?

Tough to grade without a photo of the spine dead on but it could go anywhere between 5.5 and 7.0 depending on exactly how much paper is missing.

(shrug)

Based on the FC I'd say 7.5 with an outside shot at 8.0.

My personal grade would be in the 6s (6.0/6.5) (using the SA non-bump) ;)

The GA bump is basicly the back cover. On GA books in even 9.X I've seen sun damage and stains on the BC that made me :frustrated:

I guess CGC figures in the old days there were no comic bags and since books layed on the back cover they allow for staing/storage damage there. (shrug)

Smitty, do you go by the same name on eBay?

Yes I go by smittys on bay

I think I still have a Wolverine drawing on an envelope that you drew for me nearly 8 years ago.

:grin:

I think a large part of that "GA bump" myth came from simply not understanding CGC grading standards.

And from Borock answering "yes" when asked if "CGC grades a little more leniently on Golden-Age books" in the Iron Slab interview :baiting: Of course, he qualified his statement :)

http://stlcomics.com/columns/ironslab/IV/

It looks between 5.5 to 6.0 at best.

IMO all comics, whether it be GA, SA, BA, CA, Modern, should be graded by the same standards. That's what makes truly high-grade GA and early SA so rare/scarce and command the multiple-of-guide prices that they do. :makepoint:

Let me just state that i'm a GA guy all day, every day. That's my thang.

That said, I thought the GA bump was a complete myth until I slabbed this book. After I got it back, I had some doubts. Please note this is a thick book, and there were areas of the cover, along the spine that were gone. Some at the top and bottom and near the upper staple if I recall. I think the missing piece from the top was maybe a 1/2" in length. You can kind of get an idea of where there was some missing material along the spine based on the white areas.

What grade would you say this book is? I still remember comments I got in the spare a grade forum years ago. I'm curious to see comparisons from now and back then.

MoreFun58front.jpg

MoreFun58back.jpg

Was the paper completely missing in those spots or just the color?

Tough to grade without a photo of the spine dead on but it could go anywhere between 5.5 and 7.0 depending on exactly how much paper is missing.

(shrug)

Its a bindary chip :jokealert:

Sorry Roy I couldnt help myself :foryou:

I have asked CGC recently about the "GA Bump" and I was told there is no such thing, however they do take into consideration certain bindery defects that are common amongst many, such as bindery chips.

Perhaps there is also a SA Bump, if you consider CGC stance in Marvel Chipping :screwy: