• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AFTER MUCH CONSIDERATION.....

120 posts in this topic

I'd say "protecting your investment" would be my top pick for why some otherwise rational people, would suddenly jump on the "I love pressing" bandwagon.

Damn it!!! 893frustrated.gif

I knew I was missing something......

I, for one, would like to know whether a book I am considering purchasing has been pressed or not. However, I am uncertain about where the line should be drawn on this issue. Books are pressed "professionally" (i.e., with devoted pressing devices), under a stack of heavy books, or within a tight stack of comics. It seems unlikely CGC can distinguish with certainty among these various types of pressing. In light of this, one can decide either to continue purchasing slabbed books at the risk of buying pressed books, or buy raw books that may also be pressed, but allow inspection by the prospective buyer.

That's the reality.

I, for one, would like to know whether a book I am considering purchasing has been pressed or not. However, I am uncertain about where the line should be drawn on this issue. Books are pressed "professionally" (i.e., with devoted pressing devices), under a stack of heavy books, or within a tight stack of comics. It seems unlikely CGC can distinguish with certainty among these various types of pressing. In light of this, one can decide either to continue purchasing slabbed books at the risk of buying pressed books, or buy raw books that may also be pressed, but allow inspection by the prospective buyer.

That's the reality.

Indeed it is.....

I'd say "protecting your investment" would be my top pick for why some otherwise rational people, would suddenly jump on the "I love pressing" bandwagon.

Damn it!!! 893frustrated.gif

I knew I was missing something......

Do you NEVER read my posts????893frustrated.gif

sorry.gif

Books are pressed "professionally" (i.e., with devoted pressing devices), under a stack of heavy books, or within a tight stack of comics. It seems unlikely CGC can distinguish with certainty among these various types of pressing.

I can say with ABSOLUTE certainty that obviously pressed books, that CGC knows are pressed, have gone into Universal holders without anyone batting an eyelash. This whole "CGC can't detect it" stuff is just BS.

Now granted, I'm not talking about a superior pro press job, involving a single page and cover, but those amateur "pancake books" where some bozo slaps an entire book under 5,000 PSI for a few hours. Like I mentioned in another post, do some calculations and figure out how many stacked books that would take.

Obviously, since CGC doesn't feel that ANY pressing is resto, and doesn't even had a PLOD for "pressing" on its own, then how be we stop this Fairy Tale of "CGC can't detect pressing" right here and now. Sure, a small percentage of the press-jobs are the "single page/cover pro variety" but there are a growing number of obvious amateur jobs out there getting Universal labels as well.

You've misquoted me, and in so doing missed my point. Rather than saying that pressing is not detectable, I said that pressings done in various ways cannot be distinguished from one another. Moreover, books "pressed" in a tight stack of comics, while structurally distinct from those that aren't, may not be perceptably pressed at all. How would you propose pressed books be scored as restored, if the grader cannot distinguish whether the book was pressed in a "professional" device, under a stack of heavy books, or within a tight stack of comics?

How would you propose pressed books be scored as restored, if the grader cannot distinguish whether the book was pressed in a "professional" device, under a stack of heavy books, or within a tight stack of comics?

Trust me, the amateur press-jobs I'm talking about, Stevie Wonder could tell the difference.

Other than the odd professional ($$$) press, this has never been about detection, and CGC has stated they do not feel that pressing is restoration. I've never heard Steve say he cannot ever discern an amateur pressed comic, and he probably never would, especially due to those pancaked books I've seen.

Seriously, toss me 20 books. 10 that had been "stacked tight in a pile of comics" and the other 10 where the entire book had been amateur pressed in a 5000 PSI book press for a while.

I guarantee I could tell the difference, and so can CGC. They just choose not to identify these amateur pancake-artists.

Where do you think preferring to continue collecting high grade rather than quitting the hobby falls on most people's lists? Your statement seems to presume that most people's primary motivation for buying vintage comics is to make money.

Seriously, toss me 20 books. 10 that had been "stacked tight in a pile of comics" and the other 10 where the entire book had been amateur pressed in a 5000 PSI book press for a while.

If you're serious about this, I'll take you up on it. I wouldn't be able to send the books off for a few months. I'd submit the list of which book underwent which process to someone on the boards, perhaps povertyrow, prior to mailing them.