• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thor Movie as good as Iron Man

602 posts in this topic

I thought Hemsworth was perfect as Thor, and Hiddleston was a great Loki. generally the casting was pretty solid.

Thought the New Mexico sequences were more entertaining , largely due to the humor element, than the Asgard material, though I did like the complexity of Loki's character.

Would have liked to see a slightly more rustic Asgard, it was a little too shiny and golden for my taste, and I didn't care for Odin's eye-patch.

The -script was decent, though not outstanding. Some of the VFX were slightly artificial looking, especially the opening back story, but looked way better than the stuff in the Green Lantern trailer.

The first of the Iron Man, ASM, and Nolan Batman movies were all better, but a solid effort that was more entertaining than most superhero movies.

Oh yea.... And my wife wants everyone to know that Loki wasn't a sympathetic character but just a really Bad guy. (tsk)

He'll probably be back in the next movie.

Does anyone believe he's really dead without seeing the photos? :baiting:

Saw it today and thought it was excellent! Better than I thought it would be. I'll probably try to see it once more on the big screen. I wish the Samuel L. Jackson scene after the credits had a little more meat to it.

Joker--

Loki had amazing character development IMO. He went from innocent young boy, to sympathetic of Thor's case, then slowly paranoid and then power hungry, and finally evil.

In my mind I was torn between your version of the film and thinking Loki was totally and utterly full of mess from the get go.

Cripes he's the "God of Lies and Deception" I was having a had time thinking anything he said was true. It seemed like every word, even if it sounded sweet and helpful was calculated to gain a specific response.

He manipulated his brother into all the problems that befell him. I didn't think he was sympathetic to Thor at all. I think that's what he wanted Thor to think, and being the God of Deception....he was pretty convincing. lol

only $66M in the opening weekend, it's a disappointment, couldn't even beat last weeks winner 'fast five'. :tonofbricks:

Let`s withhold judgment until we see how big the drop-off is in the 2nd week. But if it gets the typical 50%+ drop-off, the movie is going to struggle to hit even the $150 million domestic mark and will have to be considered a huge flop.

I was never a fan of the Spider-man series, I just wasn't. The whole thing was just fakey and completely unrealistic to me. I never will forget that scene in spidey #1 where mary jane is holding onto spidey as they are swooping through the streets on his web. That scene was so fake and I thought the characters were board flat and shallow. Besides Iron-man my favorite other series was X-men. I loved all of them particular #2 and #3.

We hit the 3D version leaving civilization this afternoon - 14 yr old son and wife and I....... all really like it - great movie. We're waiting for more, as Marvel seems to have "figured it out"....,

only $66M in the opening weekend, it's a disappointment, couldn't even beat last weeks winner 'fast five'. :tonofbricks:

Let`s withhold judgment until we see how big the drop-off is in the 2nd week. But if it gets the typical 50%+ drop-off, the movie is going to struggle to hit even the $150 million domestic mark and will have to be considered a huge flop.

You could be quite right about it not doing 150 million but I wouldn`t consider it a flop, as it is well on its way to being a solid moderate hit. Its opening alone trumped the following Marvel movies Hulk ($62 million in 2003), Fantastic Four ($56 million), Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer ($58 million), The Incredible Hulk ($55 million), and the first X-Men ($54 million way back in 2000).

It should do decent box office untill next week when Pirates of the Caribbean 4 comes out.

2c

I saw it last night - good but not great. Cool effects but a pretty tame plot. I'd give it a B- and not close to the first Iron Man but a little better than the second one.

You could be quite right about it not doing 150 million but I wouldn`t consider it a flop, as it is well on its way to being a solid moderate hit. Its opening alone trumped the following Marvel movies Hulk ($62 million in 2003), Fantastic Four ($56 million), Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer ($58 million), The Incredible Hulk ($55 million), and the first X-Men ($54 million way back in 2000).

It should do decent box office untill next week when Pirates of the Caribbean 4 comes out.

2c

That may be true but probably not the best gauge. In terms of estimated attendence (as opposed to just overall gross which doesn't account for rising ticket prices along with an IMAX opening) it was behind Hulk, Incredible Hulk, FF 1 and 2, and X-Men. It was ahead of Ghost Rider and DD which as movies speak for themselves.

2c

That may be true but probably not the best gauge. In terms of estimated attendence (as opposed to just overall gross which doesn't account for rising ticket prices along with an IMAX opening) it was behind Hulk, Incredible Hulk, FF 1 and 2, and X-Men. It was ahead of Ghost Rider and DD which as movies speak for themselves.

Plus, it`s not like Hulk, Incredible Hulk, FF 1 or FF 2 were considered to be huge hits. I can assure you that studio execs were not doing high fives over their domestic grosses, and I`m pretty sure they`re not doing them over Thor`s US opening weekend numbers.

Question about Loki.

What is the skill he has that allowed him to appear at the end? Was he physically present beside the scientist or invisible to everyone?

Same thing when he went to visit Thor on earth when Thor was incarcerated by SHIELD.

Question about Loki.

What is the skill he has that allowed him to appear at the end? Was he physically present beside the scientist or invisible to everyone?

Same thing when he went to visit Thor on earth when Thor was incarcerated by SHIELD.

He seems to be able to project himself with a dopplganger as well as impersonate other people.

(shrug)

Question about Loki.

Spoiler tags for those who haven't seen it. :grin:

He was able to hide himself from Heimdall, he was able to shroud the frost giants he allowed into Asgard at the beginning of the film. He projected a false image of himself to make the frost giant fall off the cliff in the opening battle, and did the same to Thor later. So it looks like part of his power of deception includes making people see what he wants them to, or hide from them what he doesn't want them to see.