• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thor Movie as good as Iron Man

602 posts in this topic

I also saw the GL trailer in the theater. GL looks visually appealing with the great CGI but the story seems iffy and Ryan Reynolds just seems to fall flat to me as GL.

We'll see. Captain America on the other hand looks great. I loved how they make him look puny when he is rejected from the military, etc. It seemed seamless to me with the CGI. Then he comes out of the transformation pumped up was very cool.

To me, this is a comic book fan dream to see all these movies being made. When I was a kid I dreamed about what these characters would be like in person...having them come to life on the screen with real people and with QUALITY stories and amazing FX is a dream come true. I'm sure Stan Lee must be so proud that his career has come to such incredible heights.

I see a lot of people placing it just below Iron Man and Spider-Man 2... I liked it as much, and maybe more than those. Loved the settings, the characters, the character development, the fights, everything. I need another viewing or two.

I'm in the same boat. I loved everything about it. There really wasn't anything weak about the entire movie. I need to see it another time or two before I decide, but I might actually like Thor more than IM or Spidey2.

The FX were phenomenal. Absolutely incredible.

(... and I thought I was going to hate this movie .) :gossip:

Do you still think Green Lantern is going to suck????:baiting:

I saw the trailer for it before the Thor movie and it's changed my mind.

I thought it was going to suck monkey balls. Now I think it's only going to suck one of the monkey's balls.

lol

I see a lot of people placing it just below Iron Man and Spider-Man 2... I liked it as much, and maybe more than those. Loved the settings, the characters, the character development, the fights, everything. I need another viewing or two.

I'm in the same boat. I loved everything about it. There really wasn't anything weak about the entire movie. I need to see it another time or two before I decide, but I might actually like Thor more than IM or Spidey2.

The FX were phenomenal. Absolutely incredible.

(... and I thought I was going to hate this movie .) :gossip:

Do you still think Green Lantern is going to suck????:baiting:

He's not the one doing the sucking in his new movie (with the JLA):

znn6sp.jpg

2a5xkd0.jpg

2upbvdf.jpg

GL fights that Harley Quinn chick from the Batman books in this one. he wins with a (money) shot to the face IIRC

WOW!!

Just saw Thor in 2D with the wifey. In both our opinions it is not as good as Iron Man. Worth watching for sure. But if Iron Man is a 9, then Thor is a 7.5/8.

We are going to see it in 3D as soon as we feel like driving fifty miles to do so.

Thor sure is a polite Thunder God, and I missed not hearing even one "hath", "thou" or "doth". But I understand why.

The funniest thing about these Thor threads has been all the Iron Man platitudes. I pretty much expect college film classes to start teaching "Iron Man" right alongside "Citizen Kane" any day now.

The funniest thing about these Thor threads has been all the Iron Man platitudes. I pretty much expect college film classes to start teaching "Iron Man" right alongside "Citizen Kane" any day now.

Naw that'll never happen.... (tsk)

...no sled. lol

So should we be comparing Thor to movies like The King's Speech or Slumdog Millionaire?

Please let us know what we should reference in order to keep your humor to a minimum.

So should we be comparing Thor to movies like The King's Speech or Slumdog Millionaire?

Please let us know what we should reference in order to keep your humor to a minimum.

Personally, I don't think Citizen Kane had enough action in it.

Iron Man in the perfect comparison.

Why not? A movie should aspire to be a good movie, full stop, not graded on a curve only against movies of its genre. When I watched "LOTR", I liked the movies because they were great films, full stop, not just good compared to Conan or other sword & sorcery/fantasy films.

If you`re willing to pay for mediocrity, guess what, Hollywood will give you all the mediocrity you want.

But if you must compare it only to other superhero movies, Dark Knight and Batman Begins are much better than Iron Man. Dark Knight is the best superhero movie ever made.

For all the Thor geeks out there...grab this if you love W. Simonson also.

http://www.amazon.com/Thor-Walter-Simonson-Omnibus/dp/0785146334/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1304959237&sr=8-3

I just bought one for myself even though I have the comic books I bought at the LCS back in the days.

Beta Ray Bill might not be all that to some people but no doubt in my years of collecting and reading from 1981 to 1993, Thor 337 was by far my favorite book. It was the only book I bought more than one copy because I love it so much that I need to buy a 2nd to have a NM copy for the future.

It certainly opened my eye to W. Simonson's art for the first time and i have been a big fan since.

If there is one artist alive that wish to meet in person today, it would be W. Simonson. If he would only do sketches at conventions :cry:

For all the Thor geeks out there...grab this if you love W. Simonson also.

http://www.amazon.com/Thor-Walter-Simonson-Omnibus/dp/0785146334/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1304959237&sr=8-3

I just bought one for myself even though I have the comic books I bought at the LCS back in the days.

Beta Ray Bill might not be all that to some people but no doubt in my years of collecting and reading from 1981 to 1993, Thor 337 was by far my favorite book. It was the only book I bought more than one copy because I love it so much that I need to buy a 2nd to have a NM copy for the future.

It certainly opened my eye to W. Simonson's art for the first time and i have been a big fan since.

If there is one artist alive that wish to meet in person today, it would be W. Simonson. If he would only do sketches at conventions :cry:

There's something even better coming down the pike. IDW, the same company that produced the gorgeous Rocketeer Artist's Edition last year, is giving Simonson's Thor the same treatment.

It's an 11x17 book using full size hi-res scans taken from the Original artwork so you can see the entire story EXACTLY as Simonson drew it.

Walt Simonson's Mighty Thor Artist's Edition

thor_idw_artists_edition.jpg

I have the Rocketeer and it's an amazing edition to own. I am going to get this one the first day it's available.

Just saw Thor in 2D with the wifey. In both our opinions it is not as good as Iron Man. Worth watching for sure. But if Iron Man is a 9, then Thor is a 7.5/8.

We are going to see it in 3D as soon as we feel like driving fifty miles to do so.

Thor sure is a polite Thunder God, and I missed not hearing even one "hath", "thou" or "doth". But I understand why.

I personally found the 3-D in Thor to be useless. As it usually is.

But if you must compare it to other superhero movies, Dark Knight and Batman Begins are much better than Iron Man. Dark Knight is the best superhero movie ever made.

I can't agree with this opinion at all. Christian Bale is a fine actor but he just takes Batman and makes it comical. The raspy whispering voice...it's really laughable at least to me.

Plus, those movies are way too adult oritented. I expect Superhero movies to appeal to the masses. The Dark Knight was just too dark and violent for any kids to watch.

Don't get me wrong...I enjoyed both Batman movies (much better than previous Batman movies) but Marvel knows how to make these movies accessable for a wider range of ages.

Iron Man was the perfect superhero movie in my eyes.

I can't agree with this opinion at all. Christian Bale is a fine actor but he just takes Batman and makes it comical. The raspy whispering voice...it's really laughable at least to me.

I've heard this criticism about a zillion times...if this ruined "The Dark Knight" for anyone, full-blown OCD isn't far off for them. :screwy: What exactly would you do with your own voice if you were Batman to mask it? It's easy to explain away as not being terribly high on Bruce Wayne's priority list. :eyeroll: Perhaps Nolan should have had him use electronic voice alteration, but it's such a small thing, I can't fathom why it gets mentioned by people as much as it does. (shrug)

I've heard this criticism about a zillion times...if this ruined "The Dark Knight" for anyone, full-blown OCD isn't far off for them. :screwy: What exactly would you do with your own voice if you were Batman to mask it? It's easy to explain away as not being terribly high on Bruce Wayne's priority list. :eyeroll: Perhaps Nolan should have had him use electronic voice alteration, but it's such a small thing, I can't fathom why it gets mentioned by people as much as it does. (shrug)

Because it's annoying. And, at times hard to decipher what he is saying.

It didn't ruin the movie for me...just that I found it unnecessary.

Probably because by the time you are half way into the movie it's hard to notice anything else. It's so pervasive that even to me, one of the most forgiving apologists and enablers of comic book films, it was really distracting me from the rest of the film.