• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My son is in the NICU thread SC 22 and more to be added

47 posts in this topic

Nik,

I went through the exact same thing 18yrs ago when my son was born 12 weeks premature. There was a long list of health problems that are very common with low birth weight babies. Also he (and you both) will need lots of discharge planning with physical therapy, early intervention, occupational therapy, etc....

It was a rollercoaster and there will be setbacks and small steps forward. Stay positive, make sure you have all the support you can get from friends and family and try to remember you and your wife are under a lot of stress. Be kind to each other.

I wish you all the best and please feel free to contact me with questions, suggestions or whatever I can do to help. I not only went through it, but I am also a RN in the very hospital where he was born.

All my best,

Michael

Nik - Best wishes and Congrats on the new addition. I think I can speak for everyone here when I say we're with you every single step of the way! :applause:

I just lit a candle in Casa Kramerica and threw on some Beatles - the resulting good vibes are already being forwarded your way (thumbs u

Nik I am so sorry you have to go through this and so overjoyed that your little one is beating the odds. I will say a prayer for your family.

I would like to donate a book as well. Let me know if you want it in this thread or another.

Prayer sent!!

My prayers are with you and your family. My twins were 7.5 weeks early and they each weighed less than 3.5 lbs. The NICU they were in was top notch and the Dr.'s and nurses were tremendous. I've noticed that the smaller the baby, the bigger the fight in them.

All the best,

Scott

Nik:

For what it's worth, I was 7.5 weeks premature and suffered from a diaphragmatic hernia and other complications. Didn't leave the NICU (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia) for 9 weeks and survived despite (at the time) a 12% survival rate for the conditions.

34 years later, I'm still going strong. Prayers are with you.

Hey everyone, thank you for the encouraging words. For you guys that have been through similar situations, I will definitely keep you in mind as references. Every preemie situation may be different, but all of them are difficult. We are on day 9 and Pierce's chance of surviving get much greater after the first week, but the developmental concerns will be the next big concern. For you who have shared your stories, my condolences and best wishes to you. Lord willing, Pierce will be a boardie soon :grin:

Heath, PM Sent

My son was 1 lb 8oz at birth. He shrunk a little since then, but he is slowly coming back up. Thank you everyone for your support.

Sorry to hear this Nik. Please keep us informed when you get the time.

Will will be praying for your family.