• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forum Guidelines for the "Comic Market-Want to Buy" Thread

20 posts in this topic

Interested to hear why people think the "Comic Market-Want To Sell" threads are so over-policed as far as meeting all the guidelines, yet the "Comic Market-Want to Buy" thread is all but ignored. Specifically guideline #2, which states that a price range should be given to help avoid wasting everyones time.

<< #2 Please make an effort to give some indication of the RANGE and GRADE that you WILL buy in. This helps everyone understand whether it's worth their time to help you out. This may not be your top dollar offer, but it should be a number that indicates your seriousness. If you post $1 for $200 comic, then I would expect a pretty weak response. If you post "in the range of guide" or whatever, then you'll probably do better.>>

I understand the thought that you want to spend as little as possible as a Buyer, so you don't want to place a buy price, but truthfully, Sellers want to get as much as possible but they are still forced to list a price in their For Sale Threads.

This post is not the result of a deal gone bad, it's just something I've always thought was a little off. It just so happens that I actually looked at the guidelines today & noticed that the rule is already in place.

Wow...didn't know (or remember) that, thanks.

I guess I figured that when you listed a grade range in a WTB post, then Guide/FMV/etc. would be understood as the common-ground starting point for most transactions, especially amongst experienced forumites who (mostly?) know what they're doing, and/or already know each other, or who have already dealt with each other in the past.

With the exception of auctions, it also seems to me that books for sale, in general, should be priced by the people who own them, from which point the negotiating can begin. But I do agree that if someone is looking to spend A LOT less than FMV--or, conversely, is willing to pay multiples of Guide--then it would be helpful to mention such things in the ad.

Interested to hear why people think the "Comic Market-Want To Sell" threads are so over-policed as far as meeting all the guidelines, yet the "Comic Market-Want to Buy" thread is all but ignored. Specifically guideline #2, which states that a price range should be given to help avoid wasting everyones time.

<< #2 Please make an effort to give some indication of the RANGE and GRADE that you WILL buy in. This helps everyone understand whether it's worth their time to help you out. This may not be your top dollar offer, but it should be a number that indicates your seriousness. If you post $1 for $200 comic, then I would expect a pretty weak response. If you post "in the range of guide" or whatever, then you'll probably do better.>>

I understand the thought that you want to spend as little as possible as a Buyer, so you don't want to place a buy price, but truthfully, Sellers want to get as much as possible but they are still forced to list a price in their For Sale Threads.

This post is not the result of a deal gone bad, it's just something I've always thought was a little off. It just so happens that I actually looked at the guidelines today & noticed that the rule is already in place.

mschmidt never visits the want to buy thread

Because stating a price for something that no one is going to offer you seems a bit of a waste of time.

And if it is offered, it is almost never in the condition you are requesting. Seems a bit anal to me.

Sellers should always be the one to set the price. How many stores does one walk in where nothing is priced? I've only ever seen this in comic shops, and only a handful of those. They don't get my business. I'm not there to establish a price point. That's the seller's job.

Right, but it does help when you are looking for something to let everyone know that you are not a skinflint.

When I was looking for a copy of Last Starfighter for a signing i posted what i would pay for a raw 9.6+ copy. I forget exactly but it was 20-25 bucks. That will get people to actually look for it.

If I just posted I wanted it, and it is a $3.00, who is even going to look?

You certainly don't need to put a price, but if you are a motivated buyer, a tasty price helps to bring out the items.

PS: My biggest pet peeve is when people post for stuff, like say 9.8 Astonishing X-Men slabs. You go dig out a list and get them together and give a group price, say $25-30 a piece. Then they jam GPA up your azz and want you to sell them for $13 a piece like the last one went for on Ebay. :cry:

Right, but it does help when you are looking for something to let everyone know that you are not a skinflint.

When I was looking for a copy of Last Starfighter for a signing i posted what i would pay for a raw 9.6+ copy. I forget exactly but it was 20-25 bucks. That will get people to actually look for it.

You certainly don't need to put a price, but if you are a motivated buyer, a tasty price helps to bring out the items.

Absolutely, and I've praised buyers who put aggressive prices on the items they want to buy. Folks who understand when something is actually rare, and don't just say "well, it sold in 2004 for $37 in 9.8, so my offer is $30."

PS: My biggest pet peeve is when people post for stuff, like say 9.8 Astonishing X-Men slabs. You go dig out a list and get them together and give a group price, say $25-30 a piece. Then they jam GPA up your azz and want you to sell them for $13 a piece like the last one went for on Ebay. :cry:

That's usually the scenario. How many times have you had to restrain your fingers from posting a snarky response to someone's ridiculous "I'm willing to pay $5 for 9.8 1988 books. Raw only"...?

Hey, me too! Let me know if you find any!

There it is.

The "Want To Buy" section could be so much more functional if people were just up front from the start. If you want to pay $1 for common books that you want in 9.8, just let me know before hand so I don't waste my time.

Don't have me scan a stack of books you have requested & then say you may be interested later.

I've sold a few hundred books on the "Want to Buy" forum, but it is generally to the same group of people that are upfront about what they are willing to pay.

I always felt it would be a much smoother process if a price was given in some form, I just didn't realize there was already a guideline for it.

mschmidt never visits the want to buy thread

:lol:

When I've posted in the WTB section, it's always been for something I'm willing to pay stupid money for... in fact I think I've even written, "stupid money" when posting. It usually gets the attention I want, and sellers have always been fair. I don't think it is the place to try and score a cheap deal. 2c

Dan

Wanted to buy...

Our Army at War #83, cgc9.0 or better, ow or better.

I will pay $20,000.00 minimum.

Thanks for looking (thumbs u

Wanted to buy...

Our Army at War #83, cgc9.0 or better, ow or better.

I will pay $20,000.00 minimum.

Thanks for looking (thumbs u

Do you have a maximum?

I don't know. I haven't seen a book yet.

My biggest pet peeve is when people post for stuff, like say 9.8 Astonishing X-Men slabs. You go dig out a list and get them together and give a group price, say $25-30 a piece. Then they jam GPA up your azz and want you to sell them for $13 a piece like the last one went for on Ebay. :cry:

You never once PMed me. Not once. :taptaptap:

I haven't posted in there because a lot of what I need is just fillers and I know I'll get a lot of "Hey I got that TMNT #34 in 9.8 I'll sell it for $25 shipped."

Dude I'm looking to pay about $2 if you pull it out of the slab for me. Less if I have to do it myself.

Sellers should always be the one to set the price. How many stores does one walk in where nothing is priced? I've only ever seen this in comic shops, and only a handful of those. They don't get my business. I'm not there to establish a price point. That's the seller's job.

If the buyer has posted in the WTB thread, why should I, as a seller, set the price? He didn`t walk into my shop. Rather, I answered his query.

As I almost never need to sell a book, I will usually respond to a WTB thread by posting a book in the thread, and if the OP indicates interest, I will ask him to make an offer. No reason for me to negotiate against myself when I wasn`t even in the market to sell the book in the first place.