• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze covers that never were

42 posts in this topic

I don't know about how others feel but I get fascinated with original cover concepts that were trashed. Sometimes they we're better than the ones actually used. Just out of curiosity I wonder if the original art exists for this

SatApr23120604EDT2011.jpg

Never seen the Spider-Woman art.

Personally, I love the published ASM 97 cover. One of my all time favorite Spideys. The unpublished version would have been a great cover for ASM #96, IMHO though.

If you look at any of the original art pages for Spider-Man Giant SIze #1, it is stamped Super-Giant Spider-Man, so that change must have been very late.

The Alex Saviuk cover was going to be the cover to Parallerl Lives, had they published it monthly instead of in the Graphic Novel format. The Spider-Man side does look very similar to the Shan Lon edition which Alex also drew.

Don't know much about the photo cover.

Okay, hope we see some other unpublished covers (yes, even non-Spideys) in this thread.

This spidey 97 is by far better than the one they stayed with.

spiderman97a.jpg

I agree. Great cover! Editorially, they must have thought the pills on the cover were a bit too much. If they would have had the guts, they could have beaten Green Lantern #85 to the punch. Spidey #97 came out in June of '71, and GL #85 depicting Heroin addiction on the cover came out in August '71.

GL085.JPG

The anti-drug covers are great. Marvel was a little more conservative up to the time they started printing the mags.

Wow. That x-men 56 is fantastic. Especially the way the team is tied up on the lettering.