• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seems like no more adam hughes con sketches

195 posts in this topic

In one breath, a pure fan would get more from the experience of meeting an artist, spending time talking with him or her, and maybe getting a small souvenir keepsake to reminisce, like a personalized autograph or a photo.

So, to that degree, I think Adam Hughes is still accessible to fans and his fans can still walk away from a convention with something special.

In one breath, a pure fan would get more from the experience of meeting an artist, spending time talking with him or her, and maybe getting a small souvenir keepsake to reminisce, like a personalized autograph or a photo.

So, to that degree, I think Adam Hughes is still accessible to fans and his fans can still walk away from a convention with something special.

(thumbs u

That's crazy talk until that same $200 bust sketch sells for $2K on eBay.

Still crazy talk in my world. I don't buy anything to resell it, so I don't care what I could get for it on ebay. And a quickie sketch by a modern artist isn't worth anything close to that to me. I'd rather get 4 Infantino head sketches for my $200. Or this Neal Adams for about half AH's asking price.

neal_adams_green_arrow.jpg

[font:Book Antiqua]+ 1

You are a smart men (thumbs u[/font]

I'm a big fan of Neal's but I disagree... Neal is WELL past his prime in terms of his ability, sadly. On the other hand, AH is right in his sweet spot and if you truly ignore who's "modern" and who's "vintage" Hughes is a great artist too. Very different, but very good. I couldn't even tell you what he's done or where he's been published but the work does speak for itself.

To each his own, man. It was a pretty silly argument on my part. What I prefer really has no bearing on AH's prices.

Anyway, that cowgirl drawing obviously isn't a "quickie sketch," so it would seem I don't know what I'm talking about.

[qu

I guess I am just not impressed with his work personally .

it grows on you. I was like you but the more I saw of his work the more I grew to like it.

To each his own, man. It was a pretty silly argument on my part. What I prefer really has no bearing on AH's prices.

Anyway, that cowgirl drawing obviously isn't a "quickie sketch," so it would seem I don't know what I'm talking about.

lol

Everyone's idea of a "convention sketch" is very different. That goes for artists and fans alike.

Given the time that Adam spends on these things they get a finished, usually publication quality, look to them. Those are what his $400 sketches look like and that's also probably why he can't get more than a handful done in a weekend when you factor in panels, signing times, etc.

all points true.... but that's the great part of these boards is we can get exposed to artists we didn't know before. Try a CAF search on AH / Adam Hughes - you'll see some very nicely constructed drawings

I wonder what that guy would have done if Adam had personalized it, still people will flip those too because they know they still can. I got lucky and bought a quick sketch of Adam's that was personalized to Mike (my actual name). Common names like that are bound to have a few people bid on them.

O, I've seen plenty of his work. He's really good. I like his stuff, it just doesn't quite make it into the required tier for me to fork out the loot. In my world of course.

I've got a bad case of being greedy & cheap. I talked to him at one of the NY shows about getting a sketch. I wanted a full figure, but his prices were too high for me, and of course he already had a list two pages long.

On a bit of a side note, do y'all think prices for someone like him will stay at this level forever? Even if you consider him one of the better artists, a few grand for a nice drawing is still pretty dear.

On a bit of a side note, do y'all think prices for someone like him will stay at this level forever? Even if you consider him one of the better artists, a few grand for a nice drawing is still pretty dear.

It's hard to say, all I know is that over the last 15 years the price and value of his work (all of it) has steadily increased. The hardcover book sold out 2 printings and is about to sell out it's third printing. He has fans and art buyers from around the world buying his work which only seems to grow his fan base and interest in his work.

10 years ago I could have had several Hughes covers for $1500-2000 each. The quality keeps improving, he keeps getting better, and the prices now are $5k and up. His oversized or more complex pieces are even more dramatic in their price increase.

I haven't seen a lull or break in the steep climb since I have been paying attention (1992-1993 to present).

^^^^ that's the one thing I really don't like about the idea of buying "modern" artists if the price is already way up there. More of a risk than the vintage market.

Sure one would have done well buying 10 years ago but that's not a reflection on today's decision at today's prices.

i missed getting on his list and had a cool idea for a $400 piece but alas no luck....i was able to get these and he signed some prints and a few statue bases for me. chatted with him for a few...nice guy...needs to drop a few lbs though.

boston2011037.jpg

asmjam001.jpg

Sure one would have done well buying 10 years ago but that's not a reflection on today's decision at today's prices.

10 years from now someone will say the same exact thing. Maybe in regards to AH!, maybe not.

OA is a "get it when you see it and love it(and can afford it)" hobby

10 years from now someone will say the same exact thing. Maybe in regards to AH!, maybe not.

and they will still be right, 10 years from now. Not all art purchases are good investments.

You are right too in that the best way to do it is to buy what you like at prices you can afford but that's neither here nor there or whether on not its a good value from a future value standpoint

and they will still be right, 10 years from now. Not all art purchases are good investments.

Have you seen my CAF? I KNOW THIS.

But when I'm looking for stuff to flood eBAy with on free listing day, I still can't part with them. doh!

i missed getting on his list and had a cool idea for a $400 piece but alas no luck....i was able to get these and he signed some prints and a few statue bases for me. chatted with him for a few...nice guy...needs to drop a few lbs though.

Let's stay on topic and avoid making snide remarks about the man. Comments like this are just another reason why Adam should charge full market price for his art and continue to pre-screen the list.

Adam Hughes is well respected among his peers. Even Neal Adams has stated that no one draws women better than Adam Hughes.

Allison's interview made a distinction about "flippers" versus a true fan who truly needs to sell off some of their art to pay their bills. As someone that bought an AH! cover from the secondardy market, I'm okay with paying for something that was within my budget. I can confirm that the person who sold me the cover needed the money for a down payment on a house at the time. The cover was in his collection for quite a bit of time before that.

I also agree with others that If I can't afford the art, then a signed color print, (which he offers for sale at shows), should be something any fan should appreciate.

It should be noted that many other artists have the same issue with "flippers" and have changed their drawing policy at shows. Jim Lee is the most prominent name that comes to mind.

All the best to Adam and Allison regardless of how they decide to proceed with commissions in the future.

Cheers!

N.

.nice guy...needs to drop a few lbs though.

Wow. doh!

To be clear, I dont care what they do as I can not afford 400$ for a sketch. BUT!

One could argue that anyone with 'investment' in mind when they buy or sell anything is a 'flipper'. Even if the intention is to sell it 20 years down the line.

I love comic art, AH is top 5 for me.