• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

Yes, its a funny one

Robin´s drawing is actually inside the book on page 24.

This book is a mix of several stories. The first 6 pages (of the original 27) are the prologue TEC 511.

It has has also a a mix of 34 pages of Tec 512 and Batman 345

And it finishes with a 19 page story from Green Lantern 149. "Morte de um ideal": "Death of an Ideal"

Why they choose this cover with that change? Probably because the title of the main story is "A sombra de Batman": "The Shadow of Batman" and I guess that this cover ilustrates the title? (shrug)

superamigosPg.jpg

Wow.... I didn't even know these variants existed! Very, very cool.

#227 I think maybe the book I buy last in the Batman run, that and a #1 lol

The money a #227 currently warrants I have been using to buy up other books in high grade to fill the #200-299 run.

Just my 2 cents, but I learned the lesson the hard way when I was building runs that the best books to buy first are the key/high demand issues as they tend to increase in value more than the common issues. (thumbs u

This is true and I've not been resting on my laurels as I my recent purchase was a #181 9.4 (thumbs u

My problem is I've been upgrading key issues, such as #232 9.4 > 9.8 as well. But if a certain #227 is still around in say 3 months I might just have one (thumbs u

Congrats - nice copy of #181. (thumbs u

I would stay away from any of the books in 9.8 for right now as any increase in supply will mean further drops in prices. A nice run in 9.4, or even non-top census 9.6, should be fine and hold its value a bit better. There are just too many potential 9.8 copies of these books in OO collections waiting to surface.........

Believe me, over the last 2 years my collecting focus has changed and changed! I believe I am at the final stage in terms of what I collect and in what grade :)

FWIW, I am beginning to think that chasing 9.0/9.2 books with a 9.4/9.6 front and a tiny ding on the back that drops the grade is the way to go since 1) in a slab or mylar the front cover is all you can see and 2) they cost a great deal less than a 9.4+ copy.

Yes, its a funny one

Robin´s drawing is actually inside the book on page 24.

This book is a mix of several stories. The first 6 pages (of the original 27) are the prologue TEC 511.

It has has also a a mix of 34 pages of Tec 512 and Batman 345

And it finishes with a 19 page story from Green Lantern 149. "Morte de um ideal": "Death of an Ideal"

Why they choose this cover with that change? Probably because the title of the main story is "A sombra de Batman": "The Shadow of Batman" and I guess that this cover ilustrates the title?

:applause:

I love it! Just when ya think there are no more variants to be found.. a new one rears its funny head! (worship)

I love the change.... it makes sense they adjusted the cover considering the story... it also makes you wonder if a DC person signed off on this? hm

This type of artistic license is one of the reasons foriegn variants are sooo freakin cool! Changes were made for foriegn markets all the time. :headbang:

And it begs that other question? Once a foriegn puplisher bought the rights, did they then have free reign to change things however they wanted? You should see some of the older mexican Spidey stuff.... homeboy be pimpin on them covers! (thumbs u Did Marvel just say yea whatever.... do what you want! This would be a interesting thing to ask those who worked at Marvel in the late 70's? hm

Edited by Define999

And it begs that other question? Once a foriegn puplisher bought the rights, did they then have free reign to change things however they wanted?

They probably did not need to get aproval from the original editor once they paid the $$$.

And if they did, it would be an almost impossible job to control, with all the diff countries + languages.

That´s why these Brazilian versions have like 3 or 4 different stories many times from different Heroes.

Its common practice to have on the Spider-man books, a Daredevil story, because there qas not a dedicated book series to Daredevil.

Same applies for Captain America + FF or Hulk + X-men.

FWIW, I am beginning to think that chasing 9.0/9.2 books with a 9.4/9.6 front and a tiny ding on the back that drops the grade is the way to go since 1) in a slab or mylar the front cover is all you can see and 2) they cost a great deal less than a 9.4+ copy.

i do this every time. it's all about how the book presents it self and the front cover is what i always see first.

And it begs that other question? Once a foriegn puplisher bought the rights, did they then have free reign to change things however they wanted?

They probably did not need to get aproval from the original editor once they paid the $$$.

And if they did, it would be an almost impossible job to control, with all the diff countries + languages.

That´s why these Brazilian versions have like 3 or 4 different stories many times from different Heroes.

Its common practice to have on the Spider-man books, a Daredevil story, because there qas not a dedicated book series to Daredevil.

Same applies for Captain America + FF or Hulk + X-men.

Its just crazy to think about it like that... in todays day and age with intellectual copyrights and stuff.... Im sure today there is a ton of small print that gives the original publisher control over there licensed creations.... And your right it would take an army of people going over all the foriegn licenses to make sure they were in compliance.... Again! Great Find Barbarian!

i do this every time. it's all about how the book presents it self and the front cover is what i always see first.

The only thing I will not go for on a book is back cover staining/smudging/foxing. Can't stand it.

That being said, a perfectly centered 9.0/9.2 that looks like a 9.4/9.6 but with a small light crease or tiny edge tear on the back is fine with me. (thumbs u

It is coming back as a 9.2 W. It was a pleasant surprise just to the upside, but I figured it had a shot even though CGC has tightened things up properly over the past couple of months (:applause: for CGC).