• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

Those Adams Bat books looked like they did pretty well.

Bats and Tecs did OK, but I thought Brave/Bolds were a little under. I was bidding on the BB #80, but gave up when it went over $300 (I'm a little tapped right now). The book ended up at $459, almost $100 less than the previous sale last year in the same condition. I like the BBs, but can see why most Bat collectors prefer the other stand-alone titles.

There's another 9.2 #227 coming up next month. This particular one came from right down the street from me and I didn't even know about it. A local sci-fi bookstore that only sells a limited amount of comics came across small, non-pedigree collection (Brad Squared Collection) a few months ago and are now posting them up on CL. Visited the store a few days ago. Mostly drek remained, but what they do have listed on CL is fairly nice. Wish I had known about it back in April when the acquired the collection. Might have had a shot at making them an offer before everything was shipped off to CL for CGC slabbing.

Thought the Tecs did not so great except the 9.8 405. Bat books in high grade all seemed to do really, really well. Guess just a lot more collectors of that run and interest trickles down to the Detectives then the BBs.

The Batman run is definitely the cream of the Bat-titles crop as far as Adams collectors go. Maybe it has to do with the Ra's Al Ghul effect? Those stories are still classic 40 years later. (thumbs u

The only TEC issues that tend to fetch consistent strong prices in grade are the "keys" - #395, #400, #405 and #411, and the two very HTF in high grade: #397 and #402. That being said, I have noticed that prices are sagging a bit on Tec #400 - too many HG copies now I guess? (shrug)

Thought the Tecs did not so great except the 9.8 405. Bat books in high grade all seemed to do really, really well. Guess just a lot more collectors of that run and interest trickles down to the Detectives then the BBs.

The Batman run is definitely the cream of the Bat-titles crop as far as Adams collectors go. Maybe it has to do with the Ra's Al Ghul effect? Those stories are still classic 40 years later. (thumbs u

The only TEC issues that tend to fetch consistent strong prices in grade are the "keys" - #395, #400, #405 and #411, and the two very HTF in high grade: #397 and #402. That being said, I have noticed that prices are sagging a bit on Tec #400 - too many HG copies now I guess? (shrug)

I think Man Bat just isn't that big a draw also. I'm as big a fan as any of these books and I personally don't like the issues with him in there that much.

Anyone what the first Neil Adams Batgirl is - interior art and not just a cover (if indeed he did one) ?

Would have to be bronze age I assume since her first appearance was late SA.

Thanks.

bmi-050.jpg

PP14 from WF #176. It's a really stupid story even by SA standards and Batgirl is only in about 2-3 pages throughout the book.

Anyone what the first Neil Adams Batgirl is - interior art and not just a cover (if indeed he did one) ?

Thanks.

bmi-050.jpg

PP14 from WF #176. It's a really stupid story even by SA standards and Batgirl is only in about 2-3 pages throughout the book.

Thanks - what other Batgirl work has Adams done ? Any other early appearances in Tec or BM ?

I think that's it besides the cover to Tec 385 and 422 (my person favorite). He hasn't done any other Batgirl as far as I know. A shame really as he does a really hot Babs.

I think that's it besides the cover to Tec 385 and 422 (my person favorite). He hasn't done any other Batgirl as far as I know. A shame really as he does a really hot Babs.

I agree - just surprised he hasn't done more work with such a popular character from the era.

Thanks.

bmi-050.jpg

I am surprised that her back had not been broken after this "catch" on his knee doh!

I agree - just surprised he hasn't done more work with such a popular character from the era.

What about Tec#369 which has the Batgirl / Robin team-up, did Adams do the art on the story ? I know he's credited with some of the cover art.

Thanks.

bmi-050.jpg

I am surprised that her back had not been broken after this "catch" on his knee doh!

Batman is very manly, given that his thigh is bigger than Batgirl's entire upper body. doh!

What about Tec#369 which has the Batgirl / Robin team-up, did Adams do the art on the story ? I know he's credited with some of the cover art.

Adams did the Elongated Man backup story in that book. Sadly, no Batgirl.