• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

Can I join the club?

Just won it, ... :tonofbricks: buyer's remorse setting in.... Paid a heavy premium on this. Feel free to comment ...

For the $6,652.00 you spent, you can join our club. Nice book! (worship)

Wow that cost more than the Amazing Spiderman #129 9.8 Highest Grade 9.8!!!

Some stats to keep in mind (I always find this sort of random stuff interesting.) There are now a whopping sixty ASM 129 9.8's in the census. That is a staggering amount of supply when you put it in perspective vs. the Bats 227.

And after eleven years now of slabbing, cracking, pressing, and re-slabbing; the Bats 227 still only has 5 blue label 9.8's in the census with a single yellow label in existence.

Considering what this 227 SS 9.8 sold for last year, LP got a great price and remember, he had to beat someone else out to win the auction. I salute you my friend and congrats on the acquisition. A true grail indeed.

And can you imagine cracking a blue label 227 9.8 in an effort to acquire a NA sig and then taking on the risk of having to re-grade it again from scratch? That is also worth a significant premium.

Can I join the club?

Just won it, ... :tonofbricks: buyer's remorse setting in.... Paid a heavy premium on this. Feel free to comment ...

Wow that cost more than the Amazing Spiderman #129 9.8 Highest Grade 9.8!!!

Some stats to keep in mind (I always find this sort of random stuff interesting.) There are now a whopping sixty ASM 129 9.8's in the census. That is a staggering amount of supply when you put it in perspective vs. the Bats 227.

And after eleven years now of slabbing, cracking, pressing, and re-slabbing; the Bats 227 still only has 5 blue label 9.8's in the census with a single yellow label in existence.

Considering what this 227 SS 9.8 sold for last year, LP got a great price and remember, he had to beat someone else out to win the auction. I salute you my friend and congrats on the acquisition. A true grail indeed.

And can you imagine cracking a blue label 227 9.8 in an effort to acquire a NA sig and then taking on the risk of having to re-grade it again from scratch? That is also worth a significant premium.

You make a good point Boba Fett!

Not sure if this is a factor but Batman 227 came out in 1970 and ASM129 came out in 1974 so not sure if 4 years made it more difficult to get the 9.8 Grade...

on a Foreign variant note and from all our research.....

Bats #227 = 6 variants

Asm #129 = 37 variants (most variants of any book)

Thanks for the comments guys.

Well hopefully this will pull out more 227 into the census.

It is pretty difficult to get a 227 in high grade. Have been hunting for one for the longest time. 129 are pretty common. Prices for 129 have kinda stablised over the last 2 to 3 years, should also be a nice time to pick up one.

Have a 232 CGC9.8SS, went a little crazy on this as I thought it would make a nice matching pair - would be much better if this was a WP.

Can I join the club?

Congrats !!!! What a beautifil looking book. Well worth the price to own the nicest looking copy I've seen .

Can I join the club?

:o

NIIICE!!!

you have some marvel drek in your signature :taptaptap:

FANTASTIC :applause: loven your CGC copy :luhv: Like to do the same thing with one of my copies :wishluck:
I'm not as gaga over the 227 as everyone else seems to be. I personally prefer 232 and 237. Actually just picked up a National Bookstore 237, it's supposed to be VF+ but I won't know for sure until it arrives. :wishluck:

Can I join the club?

Feel bad for the guy who owned it before you (that same book sold back in July for $9900).

With only 6 9.8s on census, and this being the lone SS one (and Im not sure I can imagine anyone rolling the dice on cracking one of the other 9.8s to try and get an Adams sig) your premuim over the univeral 9.8s seems reasonable.

I have noticed prices are dropping across certain Adams Bats, #232 especially.

Yes Ive noticed it too. #227 CGC books are stalling at high prices....

It looks like the supply/demand is finally catching up to the prices on the 232...Ra's is popular and 232 a legitimate Bronze key, but there is a glut of 232s in 9.8 that the market needs to soak up. Here are the census quantities on the 9.8's for four of the higher priced Bats/Adams books:

227 5 + 1SS

232 32 + 3SS

234 7 and no SS

251 11 and no SS

Plus on the 232, there are 72 copies in 9.6 and 97 copies in 9.4, which to me is a lot of slabs to go around.

The opposite of oversupply on Bats/Adams in high grade? Bats 238, no question. 3 copies in 9.4, and 8 in 9.2. Not a key, but slim pickings if you're looking for a high-end copy.

Edited by Sideshow Bob

I have noticed prices are dropping across certain Adams Bats, #232 especially.

Oh, don't tell the people in the Bat #232 vs. ASM #121 thread this. There will be a complete armageddon. :ohnoez::ohnoez:

Crimebuster you are right!! hahaha

That is a complete doosch-A-Rama thread...

Fighting over the comparisons of apples and oranges..... :makepoint:

I have been looking for a 121 9.8WP for quite awhile. Not easy to find one at the right price ....

A #121 of what, Batman??

9.2 is the only highest graded copy on the census so good luck with that!

Unless you mean ASM121.