• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

stacks and stacks, so you must be one of those guilty of stealing other people's chances to own such beautiful bks. If I were you, I would be somewhat happy to own such a nice 227, at least from the distance of the pic shown, as long as you don't remove the book from the bag, it's as good as seeing a slabbed mid-grade.

That said, issue 227, thanks to this forum, has become the must-have Neal Adams Batman book. The art on this cover is immeasurably invaluable and far more significant than the original cover that inspired it. I wish I had bought this book when it was available cheap @5 bucks fi around 15 years ago for NA batman books published late 60s and early 70s. And now this issue has become a rarity among collectors now

2 of my favorite books, need stacks and stacks of these

Between 1999-2001 I accumulated 20 copies of Batman 227 in VF or better, along with 10-12 copies each if GL 76, Avengers 93, Batman 232, 234, 251, and other Adams books I was hoarding. Unfortunately, I started selling them off way too early when they first started to move in 2004/2005. I was thrilled getting $250 for VF copies of GL 76 that had cost me $40-$60 to buy. doh!

Edited by kimik

2 of my favorite books, need stacks and stacks of these

Between 1999-2001 I accumulated 20 copies of Batman 227 in VF or better, along with 10-12 copies each if GL 76, Avengers 93, Batman 232, 234, 251, and other Adams books I was hoarding. Unfortunately, I started selling them off way too early when they first started to move in 2004/2005. I was thrilled getting $250 for VF copies of GL 76 that had cost me $40-$60 to buy. doh!

that one be one heck of a short box now. i did let go of 4 9.4 251"s at once. but never again. doh!

Edited by FunnyBooks1969

Today is the buyer's market due to the soft economy.

Once the economy is fully recovered, it will be the seller's market.

It will be interested in three more years until Obama's 2nd term is over and see what happened in ahead of us.

I used to own many doubles like you and others. Now, I am down to singles only. Tough time! :tonofbricks:

Today is the buyer's market due to the soft economy.

Once the economy is fully recovered, it will be the seller's market.

It will be interested in three more years until Obama's 2nd term is over and see what happened in ahead of us.

I used to own many doubles like you and others. Now, I am down to singles only. Tough time! :tonofbricks:

I don't know about that. The economy may be terrible or great depending on your personal situation. For those that are unemployed and/or broke, obviously they aren't buying many comics and the economy just sucks, but for others that have retained their jobs (by far the huge majority of us) and especially for those invested in the stock market which is booming and currently at an all time high, for those the economy is doing quite well. There are ALOT of people that have plenty of money to spare right now. With that said, depending on what people are buying, there are some deals out there to be had and there are record prices being paid out there as well. It's all relative.

One key lesson for us all here, too much hype and over interest on any particular still underexposed issue on these boards will ensure their scarcity or extinction from the still inexpensive raw market in no time at all.

That being somewhat the case, I would choose 227 over 232 anytime

dont quote me but i think someone said the Overstreet Price Guide has the 227 higher price grade to grade with 227 and 232... :slapfight:

is this a rare case of a cover being more valuable than a very important key first appearance??? :juggle:

either way they are win win books. did Neal Adams ever do a bad cover? (shrug)

227 is not just another NA cover. It is the NA Cover, yes, that one, the best one.
I respectfully disagree. These are all better covers than Batman 227 IMO. 2c

th_AllStarWestern5Mexico_zps02997812.jpgth_Batman221Mexico_zpsaf78f892.jpgth_Batman244Brazil_zpseb41ebdd.jpgth_Batman251Mexico.jpgth_ChallengersoftheUnknown72bMexico_zpsdfd33267.jpg

th_DetectiveComics405Mexico.jpgth_DetectiveComics410Mexico.jpgth_DetectiveComics412aMexico.jpgth_Flash246Mexico.jpgth_HouseofMystery186Mexico.jpg

th_HouseofMystery189Mexico.jpgth_HouseofSecrets81Mexico.jpgth_HouseofSecrets88Mexico_zps693b7a85.jpgth_JusticeLeagueofAmerica74Mexico_zps6183a1b0.jpgth_MonstersUnleashed3Argentina_zps634675bf.jpg

th_PhantomStranger10Mexico.jpgth_PhantomStranger13Mexico.jpgth_PhantomStranger14Mexico.jpgth_StrangeAdventures214Mexico.jpgth_Superboy143Mexico.jpg

th_Superboy160aMexico.jpgth_Superboy163Mexico_zpse3e5aa1e.jpgth_Superman317Greece_zps47231c38.jpgth_Tomahawk116Mexico_zps0fda4599.jpgth_Tomahawk124Mexico_zpsf6c6874a.jpg

th_WeirdWesternTales15Mexico_zps44f13de4.jpgth_WitchingHour13Mexico.jpgth_WorldsFinest258Mexico.jpg

uh-oh....sounds like a Adams cover vs. Cover Top 20 voting new thread needs to be created...

let the voters decide... :applause:

When Mr. Adams himself states that he doesn't understand why people are so drawn (no pun intended) to the cover of Batman 227 (and Superman 233 for that matter) then you have to give it some consideration. There's a considerable amount of detail and varied emotion in so many other covers that he did that just aren't present with the 227. 2c

th_Batman237.jpgth_GICombat168.jpgth_HeartThrobs120.jpg

Neal Adams told me straight up on Nov 2, 2012 at Long Beach Comic Con his own favorite cover is DC Special #6 with the rocket ship and indians and dead horse...

no one really even knows about that cover

227, 233, 232, GL76 etc etc, are so Iconic no will care about the avant garde covers

Let the fans vote...the 227 probably will be #1-3

either way they are all Neal Adams so its nothing more than greatness against greatness...

we are just splitting hairs

Neal Adams told me straight up on Nov 2, 2012 at Long Beach Comic Con his own favorite cover is DC Special #6 with the rocket ship and indians and dead horse...

no one really even knows about that cover

227, 233, 232, GL76 etc etc, are so Iconic no will care about the avant garde covers

Let the fans vote...the 227 probably will be #1-3

either way they are all Neal Adams so its nothing more than greatness against greatness...

we are just splitting hairs

I've owned a dozen or more copies of DC Special #6, it's not so much an unknown cover as it is under appreciated. I'd wager the majority of Adams fans are well aware of it, it's just not the first thing that comes to mind when they're pulling out books to have him sign.

Just because the larger percentage of people would vote for the 227 doesn't make it a better cover. (shrug)

I've got a couple copies of 227 and while it is a cool book it wouldn't make my top 3 NA covers. Not an uber HG copy of my DC Special 6 but it is a nice cover.

I'd have to give some thought to my top 3 Adams covers. Tec #412 would be up there for me though - tons to choose from for sure posted in the What are your all-time favorite Neal Adams Covers? thread.

Regardless of cover greatness, 227 has proven to be highly desirable.

141343.jpg.a2d52b31f76559fb6e41c138a9ce5c4b.jpg

I've got a couple copies of 227 and while it is a cool book it wouldn't make my top 3 NA covers. Not an uber HG copy of my DC Special 6 but it is a nice cover.

I'd have to give some thought to my top 3 Adams covers. Tec #412 would be up there for me though - tons to choose from for sure posted in the What are your all-time favorite Neal Adams Covers? thread.

Regardless of cover greatness, 227 has proven to be highly desirable.

nice! so many wonderful covers! there really is no way to tell.

a Top 20 Cover vote would be fun just to look at and of course argue until the cows come home.