• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

hammer prices:

batman 244 CGC SS 9.4 $399.00

'tec 411 CGC SS 9.0 $290.55

not bad.

makes up for the batman 240 CGC 9.4 don rosa selling for $113.49

I actually thought about bidding on that Don Rosa myself, but I already have a nice raw copy. Also, you gotta admit, it's not one of Adams' best covers. Very dull for some reason.

What hurts the prices on #240 is 1) it is one of the common issues and they tend to lag a bit and, more importantly, 2) it is readily available in high grade. For whatever reason this book is easy to find in 9.4/9.6. I have another one ready to go to CGC asap now. lol

My next big buy will be a 227 and a tec 395 I want to get them both in a 9.4 so its time to save money :)

Good luck finding a decent Tec 395. This is a real tough one to find in decent shape. Even more so than the 227 because it doesn't get as much press. In the last 9-10 months or so, I've only seen about three 9.2s and one 9.6. Of the 9.2s, two out of three had either crappy PQ or horribly mis-wrapped. The one 9.6 was a Twin Cities copy that sold over at Heritage for $3700+. I had a winning bid of $3585 on the TC copy until my internet connection came to crawl and someone else took it.

Wounded up having to overpay for the one 9.2 with W pages at CL.

My next big buy will be a 227 and a tec 395 I want to get them both in a 9.4 so its time to save money :)

Good luck finding a decent Tec 395. This is a real tough one to find in decent shape. Even more so than the 227 because it doesn't get as much press. In the last 9-10 months or so, I've only seen about three 9.2s and one 9.6. Of the 9.2s, two out of three had either crappy PQ or horribly mis-wrapped. The one 9.6 was a Twin Cities copy that sold over at Heritage for $3700+. I had a winning bid of $3585 on the TC copy until my internet connection came to crawl and someone else took it.

At least I'll get to save money then :)

hammer prices:

not bad.

I actually thought about bidding on that Don Rosa myself, but I already have a nice raw copy. Also, you gotta admit, it's not one of Adams' best covers. Very dull for some reason.

What hurts the prices on #240 is 1) it is one of the common issues and they tend to lag a bit and, more importantly, 2) it is readily available in high grade. For whatever reason this book is easy to find in 9.4/9.6. I have another one ready to go to CGC asap now. lol

Multipack book. :gossip:

I had two 9.2 Tec 395s last year and parted with the miswrapped copy. This one cost me $20 raw on the boards a year or two ago.

cgcDetectiveComics395.jpg

hammer prices:

not bad.

Multipack book. :gossip:

Good point. Forgot about that.

I had two 9.2 Tec 395s last year and parted with the miswrapped copy. This one cost me $20 raw on the boards a year or two ago.

cgcDetectiveComics395.jpg

I'll would love to buy that copy :) its a pretty book.

Agreed that it is pretty, but this sucker is not for sale until I upgrade it.

:boo:

Don't worry, that will likely happen soon enough. lol

Agreed that it is pretty, but this sucker is not for sale until I upgrade it.

Well, it's certainly prettier than my 9.2 (that printer's spot drives me crazy) and I paid about 20x more. Looks like I got back into the hobby about a year or two late.

RAD7745F201169_131813.jpg

Edited by Brian48

Nice copy!

Getting this thread back on track, check out the action on the CGC 8.5 #227 currently up on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-227-CGC-8-5-Classic-Cover-Swipe-Neal-Adams-/150769339558?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item231a8d8ca6

Already at $280 with 5 days to go. It was not that long ago that 8.5s topped out at that price.

Yeah, superpimp mentioned that one a couple of pages back. Seems to be the same person who just bought the 9.0. It'll interesting to see where this ends up.

No, I don't think Bats 227 is the 'key' Neal Adams book to have. While it has a truly classic cover, I'd much rather own many other great comics with 20 pages or more of Neal's art in them, rather than one with just an Adams cover surrounding an Irv Novick pencil job. (shrug)