• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

Tec #400 is an interesting book value wise. Prices have been higher due to the perceived scarcity in high grade, but it will be interesting to see how they hold over the long run as it is not one of the best Adams Batbook covers and the Man-bat is a minor (if that) character. I would rather have #395, 405 or 411 personally.

Tec #400 is an interesting book value wise. Prices have been higher due to the perceived scarcity in high grade, but it will be interesting to see how they hold over the long run as it is not one of the best Adams Batbook covers and the Man-bat is a minor (if that) character. I would rather have #395, 405 or 411 personally.
I love the Tec 400 cover, I will admit that I like the 411 better and 405 but its a big book

I will asked this because I really don't under stand it much, but why are the bat books worth more than the tecs? It seems like the Tec books are harder to find

I don't think the bat books are worth more than tecs. Most Bat books seem to be way more affordable than tecs thus making the bat books sell quicker for those of us with tight collecting budgets.

I will asked this because I really don't under stand it much, but why are the bat books worth more than the tecs? It seems like the Tec books are harder to find

I don't think the bat books are worth more than tecs. Most Bat books seem to be way more affordable than tecs thus making the bat books sell quicker for those of us with tight collecting budgets.

Agreed. If you look at the prices, many of the Tecs go for higher prices in 9.4 and above than the Bats because they are harder to find in grade. That being said, I think that the quality of the stories and even the covers are better in the Batman run than the Tecs. Mind you, the Tecs came out a bit earlier than the Batman books did - the first mention of Ras Al Ghul is in Tec #411 - and I would argue the Adams/O'Neil run did not hit its stride until Bats #232.

Yeah, it's odd. According to Overstreet, Tec 400 is the most valuable Adams Bat book out there. Even over 227 and Tec 395.

Wow, your NM #98 is going for more than your Tec #411. I think I need to look for some of those to slab at the upcoming shows instead. lol

Also, nice price on the Batman #244 already. It looks like it has a shot at hitting the $500 range that 9.6s go for.

Edited by kimik

Wow, your NM #98 is going for more than your Tec #411. I think I need to look for some of those to slab at the upcoming shows instead. lol

i started that auction at $149.99 with a BIN of $175. i would have offered it on here for $125, but lately it hasn't been selling on the FS section. (shrug)

I love this thread! :cloud9:

For me, 232 is the top key book (as far as content) from the Adams Bat books (and one that still has eluded me at a reasonably priced 9.4 or better) followed by 234 with the re-introduction of two-face after not making a single appearance since the golden age. However, 227 is the top book as far as prices realized when sold. I've seen a 227 at a 9.0 go for around the same price as a 9.4-9.6 232 or 234 last year. The cover is iconic but I think the market value is a bit inflated for 227 which is too bad since I have been wanting to upgrade from my raw VF copy for a while now.

Well, I guess I'll show off the most recent Neal Adams Batman books I have picked up.

Batman%2520234%2520-%2520CGC%25209.4%2520Sig%2520Series.JPG

For me, 232 is the top key book (as far as content) from the Adams Bat books (and one that still has eluded me at a reasonably priced 9.4 or better) followed by 234 with the re-introduction of two-face after not making a single appearance since the golden age. However, 227 is the top book as far as prices realized when sold. I've seen a 227 at a 9.0 go for around the same price as a 9.4-9.6 232 or 234 last year. The cover is iconic but I think the market value is a bit inflated for 227 which is too bad since I have been wanting to upgrade from my raw VF copy for a while now.

Well, I guess I'll show off the most recent Neal Adams Batman books I have picked up.

and

Batman%2520237%2520-%2520CGC%25209.4%2520Sig%2520Series.JPG

Edited by Clouded9

I know what you mean. Neal's signatures are usually done in unobtrusive spaces and sizes when I have come across his SS books.

Tasteful signature size and placement are just more testaments to Neal's eye as a great artist. I have only one Stan Lee SS book (Spectacular Spider-Man #1 1968) and it has a well placed sig, but I had to practically guide him to the area I wanted it. If not for my intervention he probably would have signed over the head of Spidey! :facepalm:

Spectacular%2520Spider-Man%25201%2520%2528%252768%2529%2520-%2520CGC%25209.4%2520Sig%2520Series.JPG

Yeah, it's odd. According to Overstreet, Tec 400 is the most valuable Adams Bat book out there. Even over 227 and Tec 395.

Overstreet is just a guide after all and i take their estimated values fairly lightly. Using GPA for CGC comics I think it would show 227 to be the more valuable Adams bat book. I love GPA! That site has saved and made me money.

i started that auction at $149.99 with a BIN of $175. i would have offered it on here for $125, but lately it hasn't been selling on the FS section. (shrug)

I've got a raw copy I bought off the rack sitting in my basement. I think it'll grade 9.4 or 9.6. Which means it will probably come back with something like an 8.

and

Batman%2520237%2520-%2520CGC%25209.4%2520Sig%2520Series.JPG

Those are very nice books, but I think I'm coming down firmly on the side of unsigned vs signed in the debate. My first concern is the scrawl that seems to cover the image in most cases, I find this very unattractive. There's a couple of exceptions, your Neal Adams is one and Mike Kaluta seems to be another. The second issue I have is the sellers thinking the price of the book is trebled just because the author signed it. I've seen a couple of the early 70's Shadow books offered for huge price premiums. When I checked GPA the prices are like from 50 - 140 for 9.8. The seller wanted like three times that amount. I mean maybe you will find someone that will pay you but that signature, to me, is not worth multiple times the unsigned value of the book. I had to back away from that purchase and I'm perfectly happy with the universal books I've picked up.

Those are very nice books, but I think I'm coming down firmly on the side of unsigned vs signed in the debate. My first concern is the scrawl that seems to cover the image in most cases, I find this very unattractive. There's a couple of exceptions, your Neal Adams is one and Mike Kaluta seems to be another. The second issue I have is the sellers thinking the price of the book is trebled just because the author signed it. I've seen a couple of the early 70's Shadow books offered for huge price premiums. When I checked GPA the prices are like from 50 - 140 for 9.8. The seller wanted like three times that amount. I mean maybe you will find someone that will pay you but that signature, to me, is not worth multiple times the unsigned value of the book. I had to back away from that purchase and I'm perfectly happy with the universal books I've picked up.

I completely agree with you that 99.9% of the time a SS book should not be worth multiples of a universal copy of the same book in the same grade. At most, I might pay around 10% more than i would for a Universal copy and only if I am extremely pleased with the book overall. I'm normally not a Sig Series kind of guy (I only own 5 of them), but i really liked the placement on these Batman books and the seller was pricing these two books to move. I was able to pick up both books for under their Universal GPA average prices so I just couldn't pass them up. (thumbs u