• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Signature Auction Results, Astonishments, Shocks, Disappointments, etc.

417 posts in this topic

To all the folks thinking Heritage runs a dishonest business/shills their own bids. If they do shill, they do so without knowledge of the outside bidders max. Obviously the technology is in place to do it if they wanted, they just choose to run an honest business (and why wouldn't they, they make a few $$$) I have on several occasions bid a week in advance, including the TC, and won books for a few thousand less than I bid. I can similarly endorse ComicLink.

On another note, there is no excusing the continual internet lags during these auctions with "it's outside of their control". They are ultimately responsible which means they need to make it in their control. The glitch yesterday came right when the FF #1 was going off (not sure where it ended as I wasn't interested in the book,but if it went below where it should've, and I was the seller, i would be unhappy). Last comment, they need to slow the lots down by 10-15 seconds per lot. The fact is, despite my comments above, many/most bidders want to bid right at the end of the auction. Even with doing your homework, it would be impossible to keep up with every lot and I'm certain there are folks today who would've bid up lots but couldn't toggle back to the screen fast enough.

So, my old copy of Mad #1 CGC 9.8 Gaines was for sale.

It sold in 2004 for $32,200.00. The census had 3 CGC 9.8s.

I bought it in 2005 for $32,200.00. The census had 3 CGC 9.8s.

Sometime after I bought it there were magically 6 CGC 9.8s.

Sold it around 2009 or so (whatever it says in GPA) for $25k and was happy to take the loss instead of sitting on it further as copies blossomed into higher grades.

Now there are 5 CGC 9.8s and 1 CGC 9.9. hm

Current sale: $19,200.00 (w/bp).

In time this BS will come home to roost.

me too...hasn't moved in minutes

They have to get their act together if they're going to auction off $1MIL in books.

:pullhair:

Anyone who really wants a major book and is willing to place their faith on being able to bid live via the internet is insane.

major books, sure...but many times, there are a ton of lots that "might" be worth throwing a bid in on, that you can't logistically or realistically set up phone bidding on...that is what is frustrating (thumbs u

For those, just put in your best shot as an internet bid and then let it ride. (shrug)

I purposely don`t allow myself to bid during the live auction because I know myself too well.

with rumors of house bidding, I don't like to leave internet bids and let them ride...live or dive (thumbs u

I am really surprised that you are buying into the conspiracy theories.

In any event, the house can bid live, anonymously, via the internet or telephone, so I think any protection gained from bidding live is illusory at best.

lol nothing illusionary about it...

if I enter my max proxy ahead of time, the "house" knows exactly how high it can safely bid me up...

if I enter bids incrementally via a live position, the house has no way to know where or when I will stop... definitely my advantage , if such an advantage exists (thumbs u

There`s a big difference between the house bidding against you and the house bidding against you using their inside knowledge of what your maximum bid is. The former is legal and we know it happens. The latter, without getting into the legalities, would be a huge breach of the house`s fiduciary responsibility to its bidders and I honestly don`t believe Heritage does it.

very true, and please don't misread my comments... I can personally attest to having to bid my max well in advance (on heritage, for example) and still winning at WELL below my max...so not implying shill bidding for the sake of maximizing realized price, but stating that the "house" (encompasses the entire auction house process) can know my max (through proxy bidding ,etc), when I may not want them (anyone) too (thumbs u

I guess a better analogy is likened to ebay, where if you enter a high proxy bid initially/early on, other bidders can "inch" your bid up, until they either reveal your max (via an oddball proxy bid) or outbid you...

same with heritage (or clink, etc, not singling anyone out)... if you enter your proxy via the internet and let it ride, there is a much better chance of you being bid up (whether by outsiders or employees) to your max (or over, of course) than if you live bid... that is why I like the heritage (and to a slightly lesser extent, the timed comic connect) formats... "live" bidding and I find that to be in my favor (thumbs u

Last comment, they need to slow the lots down by 10-15 seconds per lot. The fact is, despite my comments above, many/most bidders want to bid right at the end of the auction. Even with doing your homework, it would be impossible to keep up with every lot and I'm certain there are folks today who would've bid up lots but couldn't toggle back to the screen fast enough.

This is so true. They were going hugely fast yesterday. Maybe they are trying to capitalize on people's inability to make split second decisions and get them to bid without thinking but I found it a little frustrating when there were consecutive lots that I wanted.

The quick bidding put me off as well, I think I would have put at least three bids in instead of the zero I actually put in if the auctions weren't so rapid-fire.

i'm black listed on HA and CL for speaking out about their practices, now i know why sborock didn't contact me the last time he was in the city. (shrug) the STT 107 CGC 9.0 twin cities was sweet. :cloud9:

i'm black listed on HA and CL for speaking out about their practices, now i know why sborock didn't contact me the last time he was in the city. (shrug) the STT 107 CGC 9.0 twin cities was sweet. :cloud9:

The ST 107 was sweet. Congrats to Bob Siman, the new owner.

they really do that ? even heritage ?

You would think that a business owned by a felon would be more inclusive, no?

Sorry, didn't know comic dealers or companies were so sensitive. Felon or not.

Ok yeah it probably means you didn't spend enough money.

:acclaim:

As for the shilling speculation, I don't buy it. First, Heritage is doing extremely well, at least as evidenced by the continuing high dollar values of their many types of auctions, and the large number of staff devoted to coordinating and managing smooth auctions. Second, there's very little money in doing it, relative to their bigger sources of revenue: (i) their front- and back-end vigorish on every comic sale, (ii) their profits from the outright purchase and subsequent sale of collections, and (iii) the lucrative practice of buying material, pressing and re-encapsulating at higher grades, and selling at large percentage profits.

Why ruin a successful business by using a practice that risks drastically reducing consignments, sales, and the existing gravy train?

you can't own both CGC 9.0 and a CGC 9.2 copy, bob. :whistle:

Don't own a 9.2 copy, E. :gossip:

At least, not yet. I do have an 8.5 that appears to be badly undergraded.

As for the shilling speculation, I don't buy it. First, Heritage is doing extremely well, at least as evidenced by the continuing high dollar values of their many types of auctions, and the large number of staff devoted to coordinating and managing smooth auctions. Second, there's very little money in doing it, relative to their bigger sources of revenue: (i) their front- and back-end vigorish on every comic sale, (ii) their profits from the outright purchase and subsequent sale of collections, and (iii) the lucrative practice of buying material, pressing and re-encapsulating at higher grades, and selling at large percentage profits.

Why ruin a successful business by using a practice that risks drastically reducing consignments, sales, and the existing gravy train?

I don't know one way or the other about Heritage shilling their own auctions, but that argument (I highlighted bold) is a terrible one against. In fact greed makes some of the wealthiest people in the world commit massive scams in order to get more money. Have you seen the news in the last 20 years? There is no such thing as being "to successful" to be a criminal.

I don't know one way or the other about Heritage shilling their own auctions, but that argument (I highlighted bold) is a terrible one against. In fact greed makes some of the wealthiest people in the world commit massive scams in order to get more money. Have you seen the news in the last 20 years? There is no such thing as being "to successful" to be a criminal.

"Why ruin a successful business by using a practice that risks drastically reducing consignments, sales, and the existing gravy train?"

And is your take on this that they're too corrupt, stupid and greedy to make money hand over fist with their existing gravy train?

Don't own a 9.2 copy, E. :gossip:

At least, not yet. I do have an 8.5 that appears to be badly undergraded.

i'm happy with my fire mountain CGC 8.0. :cloud9:

What owner was convicted of a felony? Aren't there bonding and licensing demands that prevent a felon from having an ownership stake in these types of businesses?