• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What kind of wear bugs you the most?

39 posts in this topic

Hey all -

Just wondering what kind of wear/damage bugs you the most on comics. Are you an edge man, a spine girl, a soft crease hater?

Because I usually buy HG books, only a few things really get to me:

First, I dislike wear in the logo box (on SA Marvels, where the publisher and price are located). I just don't like it! If a NM book has a bad upper-left corner or visible creases along the top left edge, I usually pass.

Second, I hate indented staples. They make the left edge look dramatically uneven; I always think the staple is in danger of detaching from the cover altogether.

Any thoughts? What's the wear that wears on you?

Dan

I'm kind of a spine freak. I can deal with lower grade books as long as the spine doesn't look horrible especially on books with dark covers... all those white cracks just make the book look that much worse.

Dirty, wrinkly, nut sac creases! mad.gif

OK. I've heard the term several times and have never thought much about it.

Obviously, "Nut Sac Crease" is a technical term that is not listed in the OSGG.

Can someone fill me in on what to look for in a nut sac crease?

confused.gif

Put me on the list for Foxing and spine stress.

I hate those.

If I knew what a nut sac crease was, I might hate those as well. 893frustrated.gif

Foxing! I don't think that defect belongs in the high grade category, but I've seen several comics CGC'd as VF even tho they have obvious foxing.

Cover indents would be my second - you think the comic is in pristine condition at first, but when you hold the cover up to the light...Yaarrggh!

I'm with drummy on staple problems - those indented staples and staple tears make me feel oh so insecure about the future of the relationship between the cover and inner pages of a book! Also very light corner creases that I've missed because I was so taken aback by the awesome condition of the rest of a book. As a collector of comic magazines (primarily horror - by the way, Golddust, Flamenco man sends his best wishes), I also have a bad time with Marvel mags where all the interior pages have bits of the corners either missing or about to drop off - know what I mean! The worst wear of all, it has to be said, is the sort caused during shipping or by damaged CGC cases - any type of wear in this case is painful.

My thoughts exactly. See? We agree again.

CHIPPING!!!!! (for that matter, any pieces out)

Also can't stand corner creases

I could stand a book with some spine wear if the rest of the book is perfect.

Is this Tony the guitar man from Kilburn, methinks?? Where the bleedin' 'ell have you been??

You got it - music scene has let up a bit, so will see you at next con. Oh, by the way, have you got some mags with no indented staples/staple tears or light corner creases??? 27_laughing.gif

Is this Tony the guitar man from Kilburn, methinks?? Where the bleedin' 'ell have you been??

You got it - music scene has let up a bit, so will see you at next con. Oh, by the way, have you got some mags with no indented staples/staple tears or light corner creases??? 27_laughing.gif

Could have. PM or email a list, or better still, pick up the dog and bone.....I wanna know if that B movie book of yours is in the shops yet.