• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

recent Heritage auction

64 posts in this topic

was wondering that too. judging by the state of preservation of the early spideys and the conspicuous lack of a Spidey #1 in the collection.............. I'd say spidey 1

There is a Spidey 1 listed as a 9.0 in the collection. Not sure where it would be now if it wasn't sold in the HA auctions and I don't think he had any graded before the entire collection was sent in for grading my HA.

was wondering that too. judging by the state of preservation of the early spideys and the conspicuous lack of a Spidey #1 in the collection.............. I'd say spidey 1

There is a Spidey 1 listed as a 9.0 in the collection. Not sure where it would be now if it wasn't sold in the HA auctions and I don't think he had any graded before the entire collection was sent in for grading my HA.

It was sold as part of Heritage's Americana/Ty Pennington TV Show tie-in sale.

you're rockin' the guide like its 1987 Matt. Wake up and smell the internet :P Nice to see you posting.

lol - I haven't followed the silver market in a while, and was surprised to still see people paying 5-10 times guide for these books. (shrug)

Thanks for that info guys. I had noticed that at one point they included a 47,800 dollar price tag for it when they totalled all the sales but just didn't know where it had sold since it wasn't listed on GPA either.

I guess I misunderstood when they said that he had sold it to pay for the house.

Thats a strong price for the book.

That's a very pretty book... nice colours and sharp corners

Its the biggest reason these TC books are so hot, the covers are so bright, back covers and pages are usually white. Hopefully next month I can splurge on a pile of TC books.

Its the biggest reason these TC books are so hot, the covers are so bright, back covers and pages are usually white. Hopefully next month I can splurge on a pile of TC books.

I've heard that a few times and in Foolkiller's review of the auction. I'd like to maybe pick up a couple at some point but need to finish paying off my RSG first. :cry:

What is happening with the right corner of the slab? Is that just the inner portion or is it cracked...?

I've heard that a few times and in Foolkiller's review of the auction. I'd like to maybe pick up a couple at some point but need to finish paying off my RSG first. :cry:

What is happening with the right corner of the slab? Is that just the inner portion or is it cracked...?

Not sure, looks like its cracked though. Doesn't matter because I'm going to put this book in a mylar and tuck it away for a while anyways.

Not sure, looks like its cracked though. Doesn't matter because I'm going to put this book in a mylar and tuck it away for a while anyways.

Good call.. Would be nice to touch a book that nice and thumb through it for a bit.

I just received my single Twin Cities win and I'm not that impressed. The back cover of the book (1966) was rather brown. I guess I was expecting a nice, bright white. I'm sure there are many books in the pedigree that do have nice, bright whites and I just got a bad one. One thing is for sure, the image Heritage uses makes it seem whiter and brighter than it really is.

Hmm, I have to agree, the scan of one of my wins appears brighter than the actual copy in hand.

I should have the 2nd win, one of the Twin Cities books in hand (I somehow managed to win) by the end of the week. I just have to remind myself that "white page quality" refers to the interior pages, and not the cover gloss...

Advantage went to the bidders that managed the trip to NYC to become a potential floor bidder: they could see the copies in person prior to bidding, and didn't have to deal with internet lag.

Hey bomber-bob --

I just got one of my two TC books and the back cover was not very bright either. Not that bad, really, and the front cover presents well, but certainly not the eye-popping color and gloss that Foolkiller and others raved about having seen the collection in person.

It may be that we won the less-impressive books from the collection, or maybe it's not quite as bright as the manipulated Heritage scans would have had us believe, or maybe the hype got my expectations too high. (I am getting a little tired of buying books with jacked-up scans.)

Dunno, but if my other TC win looks like this one I won't be putting a premium on future books from this collection. It's no WORSE looking than another 9.4, but I was hoping for a bit more oomph given what I had heard about the pedigree.

Overall, I'm satisfied. Thrilled? Not so much. I'm still happy to have a couple books from this Minnesota collection as a native son, though.

Dan

I just received my single Twin Cities win and I'm not that impressed. The back cover of the book (1966) was rather brown. I guess I was expecting a nice, bright white. I'm sure there are many books in the pedigree that do have nice, bright whites and I just got a bad one. One thing is for sure, the image Heritage uses makes it seem whiter and brighter than it really is.

Was it a Sgt. Fury?

I had a feeling that the TC books might not be all that white. Not as toasty as the Savannah books, of course, but I saw just enough off-white back covers in the scans that I thought they might not be the gleaming white books they had been built up to be.

Ironically the whitest books I`ve seen recently didn`t even merit a pedigree designation--the David Toth books, which probably wouldn`t have been of much interest to Marvel collectors. Those books had the most pristine whites I`ve seen in any SA collection.

I won two of them in the weekly auction, but I didn't pay extra for them due to the pedigree. I bid on four of the TC books, but two of those did go too high.

I passed on the two in the Live auction I really wanted before looking at the big scans. Those two were miscut, which seems to be more common now that I'm checking books more for it. Those two old okay, one at GPA and the other a bit under GPA.

Was it a Sgt. Fury?

No, but it may have been a Nick Fury !

My copy had White pages and the front cover had nice colors but nothing spectacular. I agree with the comments of Drummy above that my expectations were probably too high from all the hype. However, comparing my one example to

a Mass,Curator or Rocky Mountain Pedigree in my possession it's just not in the

same league. It will be interesting to see if the secondary market on these books

yield significant premiums.

Is it possible that some of the comments people made about the eye-popping color, etc...were made pre-slabbing?

I used to own a few Boston Books and the colors and, especially, the gloss were incredible, but that effect was lost once I slabbed them.

The slab seems to "mute out" some books qualities.