• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

As *spoon* as Arch comes back from vacation Hepcat will still be Hepcat.
8 8

1,126 posts in this topic

On 6/9/2017 at 9:57 PM, AJD said:

I really like those aircraft wheels. (Well, there's a surprise...)

Do you collect any of the aircraft card sets? The Topps Wings set from 1952 is a really nice one of 200  2-5/8” x 3-3/4" cards:

news_121707_2_zpsj7z5pvwo.jpg

I like the 1957 Topps Planes set of 120 standard sized cards even better. It was issued with both blue backs and red backs. Blue backed cards are about twice as common. Here are scans of some of mine:

And here's the one cent wrapper in which these cards were sold:

:)

Edited by Hepcat

Oh, those are nice too. Interesting that they chose the obscure night fighter version of the F4U Corsair (with the radar pod on the wing). Coincidentally, there is one of those partly constructed on my model bench at the moment.

i have some aviation cards from packets of tea - I'll scan some tonight. I have few cards left because I gave most of them to my brother when I settled on comics and he went with cards.

Visitors are always welcome in this thread!

We've managed to introduce a new ten year old male cat, Lucky, into our household:

DSCN4081_zpsi70gqy0f.jpg

We were keeping Lucky on separate levels of the house from our other two cats for about two months. 

Our big twelve year old male Cowboy was fairly calm about Lucky's presence from the start. Our little two year old female Scout was really hostile to Lucky initially but they're friends now. Cowboy though has remained generally indifferent to Lucky.

Ohwell

Here are 48 of the 50 (the other two didn't fit). These came from packs of Brookes tea or teabags. I had many sets of cards from tea and breakfast cereal, as well as ones sold in wax packets. My brother has all of my (Australian Rules) football cards, and I sold off the others, with subjects like Australian plants, animals and birds, explorers, classic cars etc. I kept these ones mainly because I really like the artwork by Roy Cross, who also painted the boxtops of the classic Airfix kits I grew up with. These date to the mid-to-late 1960s (when the F-111 and Harrier were new and exotic). I don't think they're worth anything much, but they are nice.

Brooke_tea_cards_1_zps8xv47uhj.jpg

Brooke_tea_cards_2_zpsdqz8cnj3.jpg

Nice cards! Great artwork indeed!

Red Rose was the Brooke Bond subsidiary in Canada when Red Rose issued seventeen sets of little tea cards from 1959 to 1974. No sets devoted specifically to airplanes, but a couple of the sets included cards featuring airplanes:

http://www.teacard.com/rr/issues.html

Unlike the Australian and U.K. Brooke Bond tea cards though, the Canadian ones had rounded corners:

Red%20Rose_zpsfdf3w1jy.jpg

Edited by Hepcat

On 6/14/2017 at 5:53 PM, porcupine48 said:

Popping by to say hello to Cowboy and the rest of the gang! 

Here are pics from earlier in the week of the gang as currently constituted:

Cowboy

DSCN4108_zpsj8gbdzlg.jpg

Scout

DSCN4102_zpsuegrg2yh.jpg

Lucky

DSCN4105_zpssrsedmhf.jpg

DSCN4083_zpsxdo4v0bg.jpg

Edited by Hepcat

On 6/9/2017 at 9:57 PM, AJD said:

Of course, I had limited funds, and if I had to choose between Disney and DC, the tight tights brigade usually missed out.

Funny animal comics were of course the first that caught my attention back in 1958-59 and I still love them. I didn't as a young fellow though limit myself to the Disney characters nor do I now. Here in rough order is a baker's dozen of my favourite funny animal characters from comic mags:

1. Uncle Remus' Brer Rabbit

2. Fox and the Crow

3. Rocky and Bullwinkle 

4. MGM's Droopy, the Wolf and the Girl(Red)

image    image

image  image

5. Deputy Dawg

6. Herman and Katnip

7. Goofy

8. Heckle and Jeckle

9. Felix the Cat

10. Beany and Cecil

11. Sylvester

12. Andy Panda

13. Foghorn Leghorn

:headbang:
Edited by Hepcat

On 2017-06-16 at 0:17 PM, sagii said:

I say, I say son, that is one heck of a line up! :applause:(is Foghorn your favorite Warners character?)

No. Sylvester is my favourite. He's there two places above Foghorn Leghorn on my list.

But over the years Foghorn Leghorn has moved up to #2 on my list of Looney Tunes characters.  He has a certain style, a panache you might say.

xD

Edited by Hepcat

July 1962 was the month when I actually bought my first superhero comics. I'd been greatly impressed to put it mildly by the copy of Justice League 8 which I'd read at summer camp.

For Sale---the Justice League!

Editor: Julius Schwartz
Writer: Gardner Fox
Art: Mike Sekowsky (pencils); Bernard Sachs (inks)

After getting back home, the Justice League issue that greeted me on the comic stand at Les' Variety on the corner was #14:

What a great cover! I must have been feverish with excitement as I bought it.  Over the next two weeks or so I bought these additional comics:

image  (Not mine.)

I may have bought a title featuring Superboy as well. Since I limited myself to perusing only the offerings at Les' and Lamont & Perkins Pharmacy right beside Les', I failed to come across any of these other really neat comics which would have been on the stands at the time:

Fantastic Four 7 would also have been on the stands at the time but I have no recollection of seeing any Marvel comics that month.

It was just as well that I didn't come across any more comics to buy since within three weeks my older sister convinced my mother to pitch my small collection out before I was hopelessly corrupted. Nonetheless I must have continued to peruse the superhero comics on the stands for another few weeks because I very clearly remember being captivated by this house ad for Superman 156:

Temporarily though I'd learned my lesson and resisted the urge to buy that or any other comic for the time being. Besides, the fabulous Topps Civil War News cards would hit variety store counters at about the same time as that Superman comic and they'd act to squeeze most every nickel and dime from my grubby fingers for weeks:

24-01-201370516PM.jpg

001_zpsef39a8ec.jpg

And of course my sister's efforts to save me from being corrupted by my comics failed. I was already addicted and my life has been one of comic book degeneracy ever since.

:smile:

2 hours ago, Hepcat said:
July 1962 was the month when I actually bought my first superhero comics. I'd been greatly impressed to put it mildly by the copy of Justice League 8 which I'd read at summer camp.

For Sale---the Justice League!

Editor: Julius Schwartz
Writer: Gardner Fox
Art: Mike Sekowsky (pencils); Bernard Sachs (inks)

After getting back home, the Justice League issue that greeted me on the comic stand at Les' Variety on the corner was #14:

What a great cover! I must have been feverish with excitement as I bought it.  Over the next two weeks or so I bought these additional comics:

image  (Not mine.)

I may have bought a title featuring Superboy as well. Since I limited myself to perusing only the offerings at Les' and Lamont & Perkins Pharmacy right beside Les', I failed to come across any of these other really neat comics which would have been on the stands at the time:

Fantastic Four 7 would also have been on the stands at the time but I have no recollection of seeing any Marvel comics that month.

It was just as well that I didn't come across any more comics to buy since within three weeks my older sister convinced my mother to pitch my small collection out before I was hopelessly corrupted. Nonetheless I must have continued to peruse the superhero comics on the stands for another few weeks because I very clearly remember being captivated by this house ad for Superman 156:

Temporarily though I'd learned my lesson and resisted the urge to buy that or any other comic for the time being. Besides, the fabulous Topps Civil War News cards would hit variety store counters at about the same time as that Superman comic and they'd act to squeeze most every nickel and dime from my grubby fingers for weeks:

24-01-201370516PM.jpg

001_zpsef39a8ec.jpg

And of course my sister's efforts to save me from being corrupted by my comics failed. I was already addicted and my life has been one of comic book degeneracy ever since.

Hep, as always, good stuff. I starting buying comics maybe one year earlier than you. They were a dime when I started but soon increased to 12 cents. My 25 cent a week allocation went from two comics and a nickel candy bar to two comics and a penny gumball. Naturally, at that time, DC was king. I remember seeing Marvel comics popping up and I was torn on how to allocate my funds. I slowly started buying more Marvel but never fully converted into a Marvel junkie. To this day, I am still 'loyal' to DC. Curious, did you buy any Marvel ?

No, but beginning in 1963 I often examined the Fantastic Four and Amazing Spider-Man titles on the comic rack but the cover art made them look second class and I always passed them up for DC comics. Like you my funds were strictly limited.

By the summer of 1964 I had read some Marvels though, and I have to say that Stan Lee's storytelling really drew me into the unfolding Marvel Universe. The way one story laid the groundwork for the next with perhaps a cameo appearance by the next issue's villain and the constant X-over character appearances in each others titles, well Stan Lee made it difficult to read just one. By late 1964 my interests were shifting to Mad and Drag Cartoons magazines and building model kits though and I was already collecting any and ALL bubble gum cards with a buddy of mine. I therefore moved on to other interests entirely rather than seguing from DC to Marvel comics as did so many other comic fans.

But like I say, my interest in comics never left me entirely and by 1979 I was back to re-amassing the comics I had as a kid.

Edited by Hepcat

Good stuff, Hep. It's interesting to note that Superman has "fought" two real world fighters - World Champion wrestler Antonino Rocca and of course World Heavyweight Champion Muhammad Ali.

Civil War cards. Collected the series as a kid and still have them. Long completed the card set, but the Confederate money facsimiles are another matter. I've been chasing them for years and I am still four short. Do you have all of them, and did you save them from back in the day? I ask as like most kids I just threw them away back in the day. Same as the wrappers, though I have since acquired one but would love another in better condition.

15 hours ago, Duffman_Comics said:

It's interesting to note that Superman has "fought" two real world fighters - World Champion wrestler Antonino Rocca and of course World Heavyweight Champion Muhammad Ali.

Antonino Rocca was as a result a magical name to me for decades thereafter!

Antonino_Rocca_PWI_bio.png

Civil War cards. Collected the series as a kid and still have them.

Yours I'm assuming must be the Scanlens issue. Were/are they the standard 2 1/2" X 3 1/2" size? How much did each pack cost when you bought them as a kid, and what did each pack contain?

The Civil War News cards I bought in 1962 were printed by Topps in the States, imported into Canada in bulk by O-Pee-Chee which was located in my own hometown of London and then packaged in boxes and wrappers virtually identical to the U.S. ones printed up in London by O-Pee-Chee affiliate Somerville Industries. BUT the packs marketed in Canada contained only four cards and a four section stick of Bazooka gum produced at O-Pee-Chee's confection plant in London. Mmmmmm, so good!

Long completed the card set, but the Confederate money facsimiles are another matter. I've been chasing them for years and I am still four short. Do you have all of them, and did you save them from back in the day? I ask as like most kids I just threw them away back in the day. Same as the wrappers....

Like you and nearly everybody else, I pitched my Confederate money out with the wrappers as a kid. That of course is why the bills are so tough to find these days. I was lucky enough to find a complete set over thirty years ago but I've long since forgotten where and how. It was likely either in a local comic/card shop or through an ad in The Wrapper magazine. It must have been very reasonably priced or i wouldn't have forgotten making the purchase. Back in the eighties ephemera such as wrappers were not yet highly prized by collectors.

Edited by Hepcat

Many of us here on this board agree that the ads and other ancillary features in comic mags were an integral part of the comic reading experience for kids during the Silver Age. Here therefore is an in-depth review of Brave and the Bold 40 with that in mind:

My copy has a subscription crease and I'd really like to upgrade it but it's another one of those less highly prized titles that are so very difficult to find in high grade.

Nonetheless, the issue features Joe Kubert art throughout and a cover with a fellow I'll call Gorgo Jr. hatching from an egg! You're telling me that Fantastic Four 1 beats that? Ffffttttttt!!!!

Flipping it open reveals DC's explanation for the price increase to twelve cents. 

Don't remind me! Comics should cost a dime I say. 

The splash page showcases not Gorgo Jr. but the villain of the story:

It seems that Cave Carson is exploring a newly discovered cavern overseas with the other two members of his team, big titted blond geologist Christie Madison, and muscular Bulldozer Smith. All of a sudden they're surprised by a fellow piloting a giant crystal:

Returning to the surface, they fail to recognize Shierra Hall who has cleverly disguised herself with a black hairdo. I did though! They do, however, learn that a collector of old books by the name of Zenod may be responsible for reckless crystal driving. After all, anybody who collects old books must have something wrong with him, right? It seems that Zenod got a hold of a manuscript written by ancient sorcerer Kardok.

Not bothering with details like getting a search warrant, they break into Zenod's house and search it. There they learn that Kardok buried three crystals, which would leave whoever found them with enormous power!

Cave and colleagues decide that Zenod must be stopped. After all, you can't trust a collector of old books with crystals, now can you? So in hot pursuit of Zenod they stumble upon Gorgo Jr.

A short interlude here while we examine DC's other offerings. Hmmmmm, this Space Ranger fellow seems to be a regular hero, even if he doesn't have his feet planted as firmly on present day earth as Cave Carson. And Peter Puptent here deserves his own title:

Hmmmmm. And this Batman Giant would appear to offer plenty of reading for a quarter but it's all reprints of stuff available at the barber shop. I'll pass on that for now. 

This Let Science Serve You page tells me nothing:

I'd rather read Peter Puptent. Ahhhh, but here's a great splash page with Gorgo Jr. front and center:

But, but, but, Cave kills Gorgo Jr. by unleashing an underground river on the poor fellow! 

Bad man that Cave Carson! Here he could have been spending some quality time feeling out Christie but he instead opts to kill perhaps the sole surviving member of an endangered species.

Zenod in the meantime tries to get away from his stalkers by fleeing back to the surface with the second crystal.

Undeterred, Cave and company follow in the mole machine. Zenod desperately tries to shake off his stalkers by setting an oil derrick aflame and forcing them into a railroad maintenance shed where he hopes they will do a slow burn thus saving countless other endangered species. 

Looking over another couple of DC's offerings in the meantime, I'm more intrigued by the Challengers of the Unknown. This Blackhawk quasi military outfit never actually appealed to me. 

The Science Says You're Wrong feature page is actually very good:

I'll pass over this Journey to the End of the Earth page and read it later. (Not a bad story of Greeks discovering the New World though!)

Another splash page. Hmmmm, rock monsters, eh?

So Cave and crew escape their fiery trap; they always do.

And down they go to menace poor Zenod again. He unleashes the previously mentioned rock monsters on them with the third crystal:

They defeat the rock monsters though. Cave even finds the time to rig up a booby trap in the mole machine and thus captures Zenod in the act of grand theft mole machine!

What's this? Hmmmmm, a Superman Annual. I'll give that one a pass for the same reason that I gave the Batman Annual a pass. In fact, I'm sick of seeing all these full page ads for Annuals! I want to see what's coming in the next issue of Showcase!

Toy soldiers? No. I like the ad for the Civil War set better. Where would I get $1.25 anyway?

And I'm not going to get sucked in for a coin catalogue either. I've never seen a coin anything like that one in my pocket change. But now it seems unreal that we all actually had honest to goodness silver coinage in our pockets before governments made sure that no vestigial trace of intrinsic value remained in currencies.

Hmmmm, nice pic though on the inside back cover! A lot of my favourites!

DC20House20Ad204_zpsqhqvxv7q.jpg

And the back cover?

Yes, those Revolutionary War soldiers look interesting alright! I just happen to be far short the $1.98 price right now. I mean in Canada that was almost 1.2  ounces of silver at the time!

No interest whatsoever in that Frontier Cabin though. I was only four years old at the time the whole Davy Crockett thing hit big in the U.S. and none of that frontier hero stuff resonated with me. I was all about super heroes and outer space and monsters.

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat