• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Upper Deck to chop up rare vintage comics to make trading cards

74 posts in this topic

If it were panels from Action 1 or Tec 27, it would attract interest. Doubt people would be clammering for panels from SA Marvels, original or not

Spirit goes to the Moon?

I think that's just an absolute dumb idea. At least with sports collectables, a swatch from a jersey still has some personal tie to the athlete that wore that particular uniform, but this?

Still, acquiring a beat up copy of an old comic that's probably not even worth slabbing is probably a lot cheaper than any jersey (rare or otherwise) and you certainly don't have to sign a contract with the individual player. It's probably so low cost to Upper Deck they'd try this just for the heck of it.

This horrifies me. Even if in poor condition, once these old comics are gone, they are gone for good. Too many have been lost over the years before there was a strong collector base.

Well, the only positive thing I can see happening is that those copies still in collections will become more valuable.

This horrifies me. Even if in poor condition, once these old comics are gone, they are gone for good. Too many have been lost over the years before there was a strong collector base.

Well, the only positive thing I can see happening is that those copies still in collections will become more valuable.

Low grade Silver Age Marvels are not a big loss.

Low grade Silver Age Marvels are not a big loss.

This may actually be a good thing (shrug)

"Hey, no one buys trading cards anymore."

"Yeah, well do you see anyone picking up comic books nowadays?"

"If only we could combine the two, the combined lack of interest could create a black hole and suck in a whole new genre of collectors."