• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade Superman # 6 offered on eBay by R. Muchin

15 posts in this topic

TOMORROWS TREASURES is currently offering a copy of Superman # 6 on eBay, which is raw. The book is graded “GRADE: G[TAPE]”. This is a nice looking copy, and I am interested, but I am cuatious about buying the book, submitting it to CGC, and then receiving a PLOD.

I am no grading expert, but I believe a universal slab in the Good range allows tape.

I tried to copy the image, but had trouble. The link is below. Any opinions, thoughts on the CGC grade, would greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Anthony

Here is the book:

Superman 6 on eBay

If the tape is archival{professional} quality. The book will get a PLOD{restored} label. If it is the run of the mill scotch tape. The book will get a Blue{un-restored} label. With the tape being noted on the label. Of course the rest of the book will have to get the OK to be put into a Universal Blue Label.

E-mail the seller and get all the information you can get on the book. Is there color touch, trimmed, etc? Then you can make the decision to buy or not buy the book. Good Luck.

TOMORROWS TREASURES is currently offering a copy of Superman # 6 on eBay, which is raw. The book is graded “GRADE: G[TAPE]”. This is a nice looking copy, and I am interested, but I am cuatious about buying the book, submitting it to CGC, and then receiving a PLOD.

I am no grading expert, but I believe a universal slab in the Good range allows tape.

I tried to copy the image, but had trouble. The link is below. Any opinions, thoughts on the CGC grade, would greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Anthony

Here is the book:

Superman 6 on eBay

GD does allow tape, but this almost looks like the tape runs the entire length of the spine. Kind of hard to tell. At the least, there's tape at both spine corneres. Overstreet Price Guide (OPG) defines GD as allowing a 2" spine split. At the very least this book appears to have spine splits at both spine corners. OPG's GD allows no bigger missing piece than 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square. This book has pieces missing at 3 of the 4 corners, with the bottom right piece being pretty darn big. And that's just the front cover. Who knows (besides the seller) what's going on with the back cover. I'd be veeerry cautious here IMHO. Hope I was able to help (thumbs u

If I were you I'd ask for larger scans of the FC,BC and photos of the interior. Become as informed as you can before you buy. One vague photo just doesn't cut it(at least for me).

But in any case, you should always proceed with caution with anything on ebay.

Since 1.5 says 1/10th of the back cover can be missing, and 2.0 applies to the points I stated in the reply above... I'd say maybe 1.8? OPG lists this book @ $383 in GD condition. $450 isn't insane unless it finally grades @ 1.5 or less. Though in 10 years I'm sure the value will be MUCH higher.

I'd consider that book in 1.5 territory, and at that grade I don't see that it makes much difference if the tape is considered resto or not.

Generally with a best offer option you should be able to get a 15-20% discount pretty readily.

I also don't see the logic of slabbing books in that low a grade, but I know people do.

I'll say this about the seller... I have yet to ever get a reply when I have asked a question and after reading through the body of his listings it is evident that the only interest there is on the sellers part would be to gladly take my money should I offer it. Any seller that blatently states "I find that I do not have the TIME to respond personally to ANY specific requests for ADDITIONAL information [scans, book content, descriptions…etc.] on ANY of my eBay store listings, EXCEPT listing ERRORS." Does not deserve my hard earned money. At this point when I see the seller I just move on to another listing. I'll keep the holes in my collection before doing a purchase from this particular seller.

I'll say this about the seller... I have yet to ever get a reply when I have asked a question and after reading through the body of his listings it is evident that the only interest there is on the sellers part would be to gladly take my money should I offer it. Any seller that blatently states "I find that I do not have the TIME to respond personally to ANY specific requests for ADDITIONAL information [scans, book content, descriptions…etc.] on ANY of my eBay store listings, EXCEPT listing ERRORS." Does not deserve my hard earned money. At this point when I see the seller I just move on to another listing. I'll keep the holes in my collection before doing a purchase from this particular seller.

Yep, if this is how good they are with marketing, imagine how good they are with returns . . . . :insane:

I won't defend Rich for other issues but I bought some comics from him at a con and I noticed a problem with suspect CT. He answered his phone and refunded me as soon as he got the comic back. I thought that was good service

I won't defend Rich for other issues but I bought some comics from him at a con and I noticed a problem with suspect CT. He answered his phone and refunded me as soon as he got the comic back. I thought that was good service

Richie gives good post-servicing service :banana: