• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have no slabbed comics...the reasons are!

60 posts in this topic

I only have a couple with me, since I live in the Philippines. My brother and uncle in the states get my comics for me and bring it with them when they come back over here. Worth the wait :)

I only have one in my collection and have only ever owned two. Both were bought here, but I got tired of looking at my Whiz 70 and sold it on ebay for a little profit. I'm a low/mid grade collector and since those usually arent slabbed, they usually dont interest me or fit in my collection. The only one I own is a CGC 2.0 Strange Tales Annual 2 which I bought from Snake Eyes for 1/2 OSPG. I'd buy low grade slabs at half guide all day if I could, but they rarely pop up.

Low grade slabs at half guide all day long, you say? hm

Might have to put that to the test and have a little sales thread :devil:

At least wait till after Heroes!

OK, so you have a slabbed book and break it out of its case-ket. You wanna read the thing, cool. Why not buy a "reader" book if that's what you're looking for? Why would you buy a graded book to break out? Seems pretty counterproductive, since you most likely paid the premium for it to be graded and "insured". You'll have to send it back in again to get back that insurance policy if you want to pass it off as a legit book.

Also, aren't you jacking up the whole CGC census by doing this? For instance, if there were 100 known CGC 7.0's for said book and you broke it out of it's holder, then there would be 99. There is zero way of CGC knowing this information and then that data is lost. You look for a re-sub and you get a 6.5 or less, then what? Sure, if you get a slabbed book at a great deal and lesser or on par with raw, go ahead.

OK, so you have a slabbed book and break it out of its case-ket. You wanna read the thing, cool. Why not buy a "reader" book if that's what you're looking for? Why would you buy a graded book to break out? Seems pretty counterproductive, since you most likely paid the premium for it to be graded and "insured". You'll have to send it back in again to get back that insurance policy if you want to pass it off as a legit book.

Also, aren't you jacking up the whole CGC census by doing this? For instance, if there were 100 known CGC 7.0's for said book and you broke it out of it's holder, then there would be 99. There is zero way of CGC knowing this information and then that data is lost. You look for a re-sub and you get a 6.5 or less, then what? Sure, if you get a slabbed book at a great deal and lesser or on par with raw, go ahead.

Sometimes you really can't find a raw copy of a comic. Sometimes the slab doesn't cost any more than the raw, I have seen slabs sell on rare occasion for around $5. I even seen some gifted on this board. I don't own any slabs and don't have any need or desire for slabbed comics, but if a comic I want happens to be slabbed and the right price I might buy it and break it out. Since I don't care about the census I really don't feel any obligation to keep it intact with my comics. If I buy it it's mine and I can crack it if I like and I don't have to update anyone's list when I do it. So far I haven't had to buy a slab but I came close a couple times on a couple in the $20 range. I don't care what CGC says a books grade is for the exact reason you state, it could be a different grade on a different day. I think F, VF, NM is a close enough grading system for my tastes. Also, depending on one's definition of restoration, I think you might have better luck buying raw what with all the crack, press, dry clean, and resub comics out there.

i didnt used to collect slabs but i started when i signed on to the boards. to me 7.0-8.5 slab books just look really nice in the slab casing and its just nice to show off and i feel its better protected when people look at them.

I still love my raws so on most issues i have at least two copies. a slab semi high grade to show off and a mid grade to read.

I have one I had others that were destroyed in the fire..but this one was a gift from a very special boardie..

So that is one lol..he was hoping to get me back in the collecting spirit unfortunately..it still hasn't happened but you never know..

It was very kind of him to send it to me..

Because I don't like reading craapy books. And actually, if you shop around, the books in 9.6 and below can often be had a discount from guide.

I own four slabs. Two are for sale and two are sitting right in front of me waiting to be cracked, scanned and Mylared.

You'll have to send it back in again to get back that insurance policy if you want to pass it off as a legit book.

Are you suggesting that unslabbed books aren't 'legit'?

Thems is fighting words.

Personally, I wouldn't crack something out either, but that's because I'm such a cheap bast*ard the thought of potentially losing 10 cents in the process would keep me up at night (but for some reason back-to-back steak house dinners with my mother and mother-in-law on Mother's Day Weekend costing me more than $600 total didn't keep me up at night....and I actually wasn't that impressed with Peter Lugers)