• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry Set Polls

208 posts in this topic

Next set proposal:

Archie's Love Showdown

-Archie #429

-Betty #19

-Betty and Veronica #82

-Veronica #39

-Archie's Love Showdown Special #1

-Archie Comics Presents: The Love Showdown Collection #1

For this one, how about cutting out the first four issues? That way the "Love Showdown" is actually in the title of the issues so I can't see how that would be seen as too specific.

Next set proposed:

Marvel Canadian Price Variants

Amazing Spider-Man #236

Amazing Spider-Man #238

Amazing Spider-Man #239

Amazing Spider-Man #244

Amazing Spider-Man #250

Amazing Spider-Man #252

Amazing Spider-Man #254

Amazing Spider-Man #259

Amazing Spider-Man #260

Amazing Spider-Man #261

Amazing Spider-Man #275

Daredevil #197

Fantastic Four #264

G.I. Joe, A Real American Hero #21

Iron Man #169

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #7

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #8

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #10

Punisher Limited Series #1

Punisher Limited Series #5

Thor #338

Thor #340

Transformers #1

Uncanny X-Men #164

Uncanny X-Men #173

Uncanny X-Men #174

Uncanny X-Men #182

Uncanny X-Men #195

Uncanny X-Men #205

Web of Spider-Man #1

Web of Spider-Man #5

Wolverine Limited Series #2

Wolverine Limited Series #3

Wolverine Limited Series #4

Aren't there Canadian editions for all the marvel CA books? I'm assuming this one will be expanded as new issues are identified.

As far as I know, these are all the graded price variants. I don't see how this one deserves to be a set any less than the 35 cent price variants.

You're kidding, right?

This set that you're proposing contains about 35 books that have been chosen based purely on the fact that they have a graded copy in the CGC census. It's not a complete set and there's no logic behind the books included which, once again, makes it a straight-up vanity set that's geared towards a single & very specific collecting focus.

While I applaud Gemma's effort I have to say I fail to see the point of most these requests. Most are, as mschmidt so appropriately deemed, vanity sets. We can't have all permutations of all books with some weak common link, it's a waste of Gemma's time and does not benefit the community as a whole. If I am able to list my book anywhere, just once, in the registry that should be enough. I'm sorry but it seems to be getting out of hand. Thanks for listening.

The benchmark for a good set is participation by multiple folks. To me the perfect example of a great set here is the Dave Stevens cover set. That will get a lot of traction. And it will get a lot of traction in multiple ways. I believe there will be very stiff competition among the denizens of the I Miss Dave (Stevens) thread, but it will also be a place for folks to park their books in the Registry if they have a favorite series or a couple of favorite covers.

There are 17 titles beginning with the letter 'A' that have either 0 or 1 set registered. 72 sets that begin with the letter 'S' have 0 or 1 set registered. Folks collect some crazy mess for some crazy reasons. There ought to be room for everyone. It's not like having a Canadian Variant set is going to cause anyone irreparable harm. I'd rather see them in their own set than cluttering up regular title runs.

There are 17 titles beginning with the letter 'A' that have either 0 or 1 set registered. 72 sets that begin with the letter 'S' have 0 or 1 set registered. Folks collect some crazy mess for some crazy reasons. There ought to be room for everyone. It's not like having a Canadian Variant set is going to cause anyone irreparable harm. I'd rather see them in their own set than cluttering up regular title runs.
Agreed

This is the way I see it too, and these titles are what I collect. However, every time I request a set, there are people telling me no one else wants the set, for various reasons. If you don't like the set, don't use it. I don't request sets that are "out there". They're all related to each other. The price variant set is all Canadian Price Variants, the Mini Marvels set contains the 4 or 5 published Mini Marvel comics, the foreign ASM key sets contain their own respective reprints. I've also requested several mini-series and story arcs be added, which the Registry is already full of. How are mine different than all the other hundreds of them?

It seems to me like some of the few people who are against the sets don't collect the genre, or understand why I request these specific sets.

This is the way I see it too, and these titles are what I collect. However, every time I request a set, there are people telling me no one else wants the set, for various reasons. If you don't like the set, don't use it. I don't request sets that are "out there". They're all related to each other. The price variant set is all Canadian Price Variants, the Mini Marvels set contains the 4 or 5 published Mini Marvel comics, the foreign ASM key sets contain their own respective reprints. I've also requested several mini-series and story arcs be added, which the Registry is already full of. How are mine different than all the other hundreds of them?

It seems to me like some of the few people who are against the sets don't collect the genre, or understand why I request these specific sets.

I have no problem with the existence of these 'vanity' sets. I just think it is a waste of the valuable time of Gemma to create them for one person. I am always reading complaints about CGC costs, turnaround time, etc. Why waste their time with this stuff ?

I like the idea of customizable sets - I collect what I collect because I love it, not because I think you should love it. Maybe, if we become 'friends' I'll ask you about yours and you'll ask me about mine (that's how it works, right? they're all still comic books) - but if not, who is injured?

I think trying to have lots of specific competitive sets is a lot of work on Gemma's poor typing fingers. But, if we don't have custom sets, and we're not going to have custom sets - then request what you really want and with some luck Gemma will support doing the work for us. No harm to anyone there either.

If there was a custom set option, then I would construct the complete DC go-go check set (all 526 issues)...in the absence of that option - I'll stick them in the sets where they do fit and bide my time.

Lee

I have no problem with the existence of these 'vanity' sets. I just think it is a waste of the valuable time of Gemma to create them for one person. I am always reading complaints about CGC costs, turnaround time, etc. Why waste their time with this stuff ?

I agree with your point. I have absolutely no problem with waiting for more prominent sets to be completed, in some cases like the ASM foreign set. But I don't really think it's fair for the members of the community to decide which sets are more important than others. If Gemma thinks there's more interest in, let's say the Dave Stevens covers set as opposed to the Canadian Price Variant set, then that's her decision and I respect it since she has so much to go through and it's her right to decide how to organize it. But just because one or two members thinks another set is better or more important than another, that doesn't mean it should get priority or have one of them excluded entirely.

It's worth repeating - Thank you so much for all the hard work you do on the Registry, Gemma. We all appreciate it, even though we bicker occasionally lol

• Administrator
I like the idea of customizable sets - I collect what I collect because I love it, not because I think you should love it. Maybe, if we become 'friends' I'll ask you about yours and you'll ask me about mine (that's how it works, right? they're all still comic books) - but if not, who is injured?

I think trying to have lots of specific competitive sets is a lot of work on Gemma's poor typing fingers. But, if we don't have custom sets, and we're not going to have custom sets - then request what you really want and with some luck Gemma will support doing the work for us. No harm to anyone there either.

If there was a custom set option, then I would construct the complete DC go-go check set (all 526 issues)...in the absence of that option - I'll stick them in the sets where they do fit and bide my time.

Lee

We will have custom sets....eventually. Unfortunately the timeline keeps getting pushed back, so I acquiesce and make "vanity" sets... :shrug:

:foryou:

Another thing with the Custom Sets is that they won't be competitive, right..? :(

You're assuming there will not be others that jump on board, when there may be others that appreciate the same content.

Keep collecting what you enjoy, and disregard the noise.

Lee

We will have custom sets....eventually. Unfortunately the timeline keeps getting pushed back, so I acquiesce and make "vanity" sets... :shrug:

:foryou:

I understand they will be here one day...until then - I'm happy with what there is to choose from. Sometimes I just cruise the registry to see what sets are available and I am happily surprised at the variety of options out there for the collector.

L