• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry Set Polls

208 posts in this topic

Was that PM'd or e-mailed to me? I don't see a Horror Cover list in this thread. Sorry, I'm just trying to compile all the lists before I break down the new set into all of these smaller ones and for some reason I didn't save that list.

House of Mystery (1951 series) # 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 197, 199, 251, 252, 253, 254

House of Mystery - Vertigo (2009 series) # 13 (this is missing from the master set)

House of Secrets (1969 series) # 81, 82, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 90, 91

Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love # 2 (missing from the master set)

DC Special # 4, 11

Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion # 9

Tales of the Unexpected (1956) # 104 (missing from the master set)

Tales of the Unexpected (2006) # 1B (missing from the master set)

Unexpected # 110, 112, 113, 114, 115, 118, 121, 124

Witching Hour # 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14

I wasn't sure if you wanted the Marvel included with the Horror set

Dracula Lives # 3 (Marvel)

Legion of Monsters # 1 (Marvel)

Marvel Spotlight # 2 (Marvel)

Monsters Unleashed # 3 (Marvel)

Tomb of Dracula # 1, 4, 6 (Marvel)

Of course there is one more book that could be part of this, Brave and the Bold # 93 (Batman and the House of Mystery) and is one of my all time favorite book.

Thanks, Bert

Gemma

I wish to discuss (and put up to a vote) about reprint books in the Neal Adams master set.

Currently in this set is DC Silver Age Classics (Green Lantern # 76), DC Special Blue Ribbon Digest # 16 (Green Lantern) and Super-Team Family # 2 (Batman and Deadman). And I want to point out that these three books do not have an original cover.

Here is where I think we need a vote, if we have reprints books should we have them all? There are several reprints that have new covers (GL/GA, Deadman, Saga of Ras Al Gu).

Or should we vote on leaving all reprint books out of the set?

Bert

Gemma

Here is a list of the books missing from the Neal Adams master set for DC and Marvel comics.

Adventure of Jerry Lewis # 101

All Star Batman # 8B and 9B

Amazine World of DC # 15 (Back Cover)

Avengers Finale

Batman Odyssey # 1 - 6

Captain Marvel (2002) # 15

Captain Planet # 1

Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love # 2

Deadman (reprints with new covers) # 1 - 7

First Wave (DC) # 1

Green Lantern (vol 3) # 8

Green Lantern/Green Arrow (reprints with new covers) # 1 - 7

Heroes Against Hunger

House of Mystery (Vertigo) # 13

Legion of Superheroes (2005) # 44

Man-Bat (1984) # 1 (covers says Man-Bat vs Batman)

Millennium Editions

- Brave and Bold 85

- Detective 395

- Green Lantern 76

- Superman 233

Mystery in Space (2006) # 1B

New Avengers # 7B (Sentry on cover)

Saga of Ra;s Al Gu (reprints with new cover) # 4

Salvation Run (DC) # 7B

Superboy # 155

Tales of the Unexpected (1956) # 104

Tales of the Unexpected (2006) # 1B

War that Time Forgot # 1

Wildcats/X-Men Silver Age # 1A

Young Romance (DC) # 154

Just a few to add Also Avengers # 80 is not a Neal Adams cover.

Bert

• Administrator

I'm confused, what do you each consider to be "a Neal Adams cover" versus "not a Neal Adams cover?" On Avengers #80 at the Grand Comics Database it states that Avengers #80 has cover pencils by Neal Adams, but Deadman has both pencils and inks by Neal Adams. So, which is valid or can both be vaild? :shrug:

• Administrator
Gemma

I wish to discuss (and put up to a vote) about reprint books in the Neal Adams master set.

Currently in this set is DC Silver Age Classics (Green Lantern # 76), DC Special Blue Ribbon Digest # 16 (Green Lantern) and Super-Team Family # 2 (Batman and Deadman). And I want to point out that these three books do not have an original cover.

Here is where I think we need a vote, if we have reprints books should we have them all? There are several reprints that have new covers (GL/GA, Deadman, Saga of Ras Al Gu).

Or should we vote on leaving all reprint books out of the set?

Bert

I'm guessing that you and Dover will need to both chime in on your question and mine as I'm not sure what was expected of this new set and it seems to already have caused a few concerns...thanks!

Gemma,

Yes, the list that was produced and agreed to (loosely) was all DC and Marvel pre 1980. The thought was that first, let's not list all 670 covers that Neal did and second to see the acceptance rate for the registry set.

So the list we presented (mrlatko and I) was pre 1980. If it is time to expand then so be it, that is up to you. As it has not even been running for 2 weeks, it may be a bit early.

If you are ready to expand then we should ask, just DC and Marvel? Continutity, PC? All formats: digest. magazine and comic related?

Are there more than in the list? Yes. Did we have to take the first step and get the registry set going? Yes. What is next?

You are the keeper.

:foryou:

Neil

Was that PM'd or e-mailed to me? I don't see a Horror Cover list in this thread. Sorry, I'm just trying to compile all the lists before I break down the new set into all of these smaller ones and for some reason I didn't save that list.

House of Mystery (1951 series) # 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 197, 199, 251, 252, 253, 254

House of Mystery - Vertigo (2009 series) # 13 (this is missing from the master set)

House of Secrets (1969 series) # 81, 82, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 90, 91

Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love # 2 (missing from the master set)

DC Special # 4, 11

Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion # 9

Tales of the Unexpected (1956) # 104 (missing from the master set)

Tales of the Unexpected (2006) # 1B (missing from the master set)

Unexpected # 110, 112, 113, 114, 115, 118, 121, 124

Witching Hour # 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14

I wasn't sure if you wanted the Marvel included with the Horror set

Dracula Lives # 3 (Marvel)

Legion of Monsters # 1 (Marvel)

Marvel Spotlight # 2 (Marvel)

Monsters Unleashed # 3 (Marvel)

Tomb of Dracula # 1, 4, 6 (Marvel)

Of course there is one more book that could be part of this, Brave and the Bold # 93 (Batman and the House of Mystery) and is one of my all time favorite book.

Thanks, Bert

Great list! Let me check it with mine and maybe add some more. I'd like to see the Marvel's included as well in a single list. I say yes to B&B #93 also for this horror sub- set.

I brought up Avengers #95 to Gemma. Comics.org changed the listing to attribute it wholly to J. Buscema and I definitely see Buscema in the cover, but Neal Adams.com. says Neal did the cover there as well as the interior. My 9.4 CGC slab for #95 also credits Neal Adams as the cover artist. The new comics.org indexer must be mistaken? I say this book belongs as an Adams cover.

Any opposed? :baiting:

I brought up Avengers #95 to Gemma. Comics.org changed the listing to attribute it wholly to J. Buscema and I definitely see Buscema in the cover, but Neal Adams.com. says Neal did the cover there as well as the interior. My 9.4 CGC slab for #95 also credits Neal Adams as the cover artist. The new comics.org indexer must be mistaken? I say this book belongs as an Adams cover.

This is a strange book. Nealadams.com list this book as Adams pencils and Palmer inks. mycomicsshop.com list this as Buscema pencils and Palmer inks. When I look a the cover it does look a lot like Buscema pencils.

I'm confused, what do you each consider to be "a Neal Adams cover" versus "not a Neal Adams cover?" On Avengers #80 at the Grand Comics Database it states that Avengers #80 has cover pencils by Neal Adams, but Deadman has both pencils and inks by Neal Adams. So, which is valid or can both be vaild? :shrug:

For a master set it most likely should include everything by Adams and let the collectors decide what to add and what not to. That is my plan for the reprints without a new cover. Bert

• Administrator

This is a strange book. Nealadams.com list this book as Adams pencils and Palmer inks. mycomicsshop.com list this as Buscema pencils and Palmer inks. When I look a the cover it does look a lot like Buscema pencils.

I found a copy in-house and showed it to several of our graders, they concur that it is actually an Adams cover (though they could see the Buscema-like resemblance) so I will be adding it to the set.

I found a copy in-house and showed it to several of our graders, they concur that it is actually an Adams cover (though they could see the Buscema-like resemblance) so I will be adding it to the set.

(thumbs u

Gemma,

Yes, the list that was produced and agreed to (loosely) was all DC and Marvel pre 1980. The thought was that first, let's not list all 670 covers that Neal did and second to see the acceptance rate for the registry set.

So the list we presented (mrlatko and I) was pre 1980. If it is time to expand then so be it, that is up to you. As it has not even been running for 2 weeks, it may be a bit early.

If you are ready to expand then we should ask, just DC and Marvel? Continutity, PC? All formats: digest. magazine and comic related?

Are there more than in the list? Yes. Did we have to take the first step and get the registry set going? Yes. What is next?

You are the keeper.

:foryou:

Neil

I concur about giving more time to see how well this set gets accepted. This master set should in time be everything by Adams. Let the collector decide if they want the reprints left out.

I beleive that the next couple of upgrades to the master set should be to add in the remaining Marvel and DC books. After that start adding in one publisher at a time his other covers (i.e. Atlas, Pacific Comics, Charlton Comics, ete).

The only limitation should be for items that CGC slabs, there are a lot of stuff that Neal has down that is currently not being slab.

For comics that may not have been slab yet, go ahead and list as this may get he book submitted to be slab.

Bert

Gemma

Thank you for adding in Avengers # 95 but what about removing Avengers # 80? It is clearly not Adams.

Thanks, Bert

Neal Adams.com doesn't list the cover as his.

No, but they could have overlooked it. I'm sure Neal doesn't even remember all the covers he may have had a hand in. I wish there was a definitive resource for identifying his work, but sadly...

And Neal is the first to admit it, but his sons have done a lot of homework to ensure the index on his web site is up to date. At one time his previous index included other books that he was credited with doing that he pointed out that it wasn't.

When I look at the cover of # 80 I take a close look at the faces and to me it isn't anything like the faces on the later Avengers covers.

Like I said before, it will be up to us collectors to decide to finish the set or leave off the ones we don't like.

This set is going to be tough for any collector to complete so I am really looking forward to the sub-sets.

Bert

• Administrator

I confirmed with the graders (and a Neal Adams collector) that that cover is Neal's work, so I plan on leaving it for the time being.

Any custom sets that were "voted" to be added by the polls are listed in the new sets thread I created this week. Any that did not make the vote are still up for consideration but won't be included until the current list is complete and will be subject to re-voting at that time.