• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help grading Batman 242 please.

13 posts in this topic

I bought this book last weekend at a convention here in Charlotte. The book looks great except for two small bindery nicks at the bottom of the front cover. The back cover is clean and white and the inside pages are off-white. Would these nicks lower the grade on this book? I know that Overstreet says that "bindery tears must be less than 1/16" on Silver age books" in the Near Mint range. What do you think?

450879-Batman242.jpg

450879-Batman242.jpg.172f2597b2393fc928a4a5e34b7cdfb8.jpg

I give it an 9.0 (only because it's Bronze-Age). It looks like at least one spine stress line (see the N in Batman) and of course the two nicks.

Very nice book, but I think it's hard to get a 9.4 with the nicks being so clear.

Hello.

First off, the defects you describe on the bottom of the cover are not "Bindery Defects". They are "chipping". Pieces of the paper have somehow separated from the main body of the cover. Bindery defects are: "Defects associated with the binding process, including mistrimming, miswrapping, inaccurate stapling, etc". That was taken from the Overstreet Grading Guide, a MUST for the serious Comic Book Collector!

Final Grade: VF 8.0.

CAL

Cal,

I think that general wisdom in the comic industry says that "bindery tears" caused by the grabbers at the bindery plant are also considered "bindery defects." Anything that happens to the book before it leaves the printing or binding facility (and hence, is "associated with the binding process") is a "bindery defect." The list that you are quoting from is clearly not meant to be exhaustive.

Hello.

First off, the defects you describe on the bottom of the cover are not "Bindery Defects". They are "chipping". Pieces of the paper have somehow separated from the main body of the cover. Bindery defects are: "Defects associated with the binding process, including mistrimming, miswrapping, inaccurate stapling, etc". That was taken from the Overstreet Grading Guide, a MUST for the serious Comic Book Collector!

Final Grade: VF 8.0.

CAL

Cal,

I think that general wisdom in the comic industry says that "bindery tears" caused by the grabbers at the bindery plant are also considered "bindery defects." Anything that happens to the book before it leaves the printing or binding facility (and hence, is "associated with the binding process") is a "bindery defect." The list that you are quoting from is clearly not meant to be exhaustive

OK I will give you your due here and go with you here. Always good to have others' chime in with good info!

CAL