• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've Been Blind this Whole Time?

40 posts in this topic

You actually don't get the 10% discount for free directly unless you're a member...CGC Authorized Dealers often pass along the 10% discount to their members. For example, you can get a 10% discount through Heritage, but you access the submission through Heritage and use the Heritage identification number. Technically, even though you send the books directly to CGC, you're actually subbing them through the Authorized Dealer (which is why you can't track the submission).

You actually don't get the 10% discount for free directly unless you're a member...

You can, or at least you could, if you used the online submission forms. You could do that without being a member. Also, when you are a paid member, if you submit using the paper forms you don't get any discount whatsoever.

Not sure whether CGC have changed any of this, but that's how it was.

Right now, the bloom is still on the rose. I'm glad I paid for a membership but did not opt for the automatic renewal just in case something like what you guys are telling me emerged. So to get it straight, I don't need a paid membership for the 10% off nor for the registry and census info. I still think it's a good idea for the first time around since I did save some money using the coupon. Would've paid more without it.

Right now, the bloom is still on the rose. I'm glad I paid for a membership but did not opt for the automatic renewal just in case something like what you guys are telling me emerged. So to get it straight, I don't need a paid membership for the 10% off nor for the registry and census info. I still think it's a good idea for the first time around since I did save some money using the coupon. Would've paid more without it.

well, actually.....that depends on your books.

You actually don't get the 10% discount for free directly unless you're a member...

You can, or at least you could, if you used the online submission forms. You could do that without being a member. Also, when you are a paid member, if you submit using the paper forms you don't get any discount whatsoever.

Not sure whether CGC have changed any of this, but that's how it was.

Yup, AFAIK, all you (still) do is click a link under Option # 3 and you get a 10% discount for free, no membership $$$ required.

http://www.cgccomics.com/services/how_to_submit.asp

With regard to your other question, CGC does not release their grading criteria. They consider it proprietary, which is a very wise move considering that even with them some subjectivity cannot be avoided. That being said, in my experience, 9.5 times out of 10 their grade is a MUCH more conservative version of Overstreet with the biggest difference being the treatment of stains. A comic book with no creases, folds, or tears on the covers can still get hammered a few points if it has any type of stains, even if they are not water. So......if stains don't bother you as much as creases and folds, then you can probably get a good price on a book that graded lower. I actually like the fact that they are very conservative in their grading, but ultimately, the biggest benefit is the restoration check. It will be intersting to see what happens to the CGC 9.8 market in the coming years. It may be a bubble that is waiting to burst given some of the crazy prices people are paying for a 9.8, and given the fact that the grade is not guranteed over time even by CGC, which makes sense given the fact that the comic can degrade even in the case if not stored properly.

PS-Is there anywhere in print that states the CGC criteria for grading? Is see alot of opinions but nothing stated as fact. Thanks in advance.

CGC has not printed their grading criteria anywhere but this is the closest thing I have seen to it. I've posted this chart many times. It comes from the Overstreet Grading Guide. I find it invaluable in learning how to grade comics.

Where'd you get that info from Roy? I've never heard that before. And really, that TKJ has 99% of the spine on the front cover at the bottom, I wouldn't have thought that would be allowed in 9.8 if they took miswrap into consideration.

Part of it is from me reverse engineering CGC's grading standards through 1000's of submissions, some of it from conversations with CGC employees and some of it from reading the Overstreet grading guide (2nd edition).

In the grading guide there is a chart and a graph that shows how many defects and what size of defects are allowed in grade.

If you look at the graph, it shows that you are allowed 1 "larger" or 2 "smaller" defects in NM/M grade of 1/16" - 1/8" in size. I took that to mean that you can have two 1/16" or one 1/8" defect on an otherwise perfect book and the book will grade a 9.8.

That would include a miswrap of up to roughly 1/8"

A miswrap larger than 1/8" to 1/4" would drop it to the 9.6 range.

If you look at 9.9, you'll note that only one defect of 1/16" in size is allowed on an otherwise perfect book...so a perfect book with a 1/16" miswrap would drop the book into a 9.9 grade.

A perfect book with no miswrap would not drop the grade.

GradingScale1.jpg

GradingScale2.jpg

Thank you for such an informative reply. Looks like I'll be looking for that Overstreet Grading Guide.

It's not perfect but it is a bunch of theory and much cheaper than spending money on graded books just to learn how to grade.

Make sure you get the 2nd edition as the 1st and 3rd have their drawbacks.

You can usually find them on Amazon or eBay.

I didn't scan them before I mailed 'em out on Monday.
Well, look at it this way. 109$ is going to teach you a lot. Good luck and wttb.

She hulk is for girls :baiting:

That being said, in my experience, 9.5 times out of 10 their grade is a MUCH more conservative loose version of Overstreet with the biggest difference being the treatment of stains. A comic book with no creases, folds, or tears on the covers can still get hammered a few points if it has any type of stains, even if they are not water. So......if stains don't bother you as much as creases and folds, then you can probably get a good price on a book that graded lower. I actually like the fact that they are very conservative loose in their grading, but ultimately, the biggest benefit is the restoration check. It will be intersting to see what happens to the CGC 9.8 market in the coming years. It may be a bubble that is waiting to burst given some of the crazy prices people are paying for a 9.8, and given the fact that the grade is not guranteed over time at any point even by CGC, which makes sense given the fact that the comic can degrade even in the case if not stored properly.

(thumbs u

Thank you for such an informative reply. Looks like I'll be looking for that Overstreet Grading Guide.

It's not perfect but it is a bunch of theory and much cheaper than spending money on graded books just to learn how to grade.

Make sure you get the 2nd edition as the 1st and 3rd have their drawbacks.

You can usually find them on Amazon or eBay.

Saying the 1st edition has some drawbacks is like saying Hitler was kind of a bad guy.