• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade -Part 1

16 posts in this topic

The staples are firmly attached to the book (and more than likely manufactured that way). I don't have a scan of the back cover (haven't got the book back from CGC but I know the grade).

The spine really has almost zero wear. But it is > shaped instead of rounded.

It is a Circle 8 pedigree.

And so far no correct answer (remember this is a book from 1957).

Steve:

Based on the scan, the spine looks like it has a ton of wear, mostly color flaking. If that's just scanner artifacting and not actual wear, then the book is at least a 9.4, maybe higher.

The staples are firmly attached to the book (and more than likely manufactured that way). I don't have a scan of the back cover (haven't got the book back from CGC but I know the grade).

The spine really has almost zero wear. But it is > shaped instead of rounded.

It is a Circle 8 pedigree.

And so far no correct answer (remember this is a book from 1957).

Steve:

Based on the scan, the spine looks like it has a ton of wear, mostly color flaking. If that's just scanner artifacting and not actual wear, then the book is at least a 9.4, maybe higher.

The wear on the spine is not colorflaking as much as it is created by the "Triangle" shape of the spine. I can understand why you would suspect that but if you notice, there isn't even one stress line.

I thought the book was a 9.2, but thought it had an outside chance for a 9.4 (which would make it the Highest Graded Copy).

Looks like it just hit the outside corner and it's a:

9.4 with White pages. 893applaud-thumb.gif

For those who put it in the 8.0 category, what were you thinking?

When grading comic books (either in person or from a scan), you must assume the book is MINT (10.0) and then downgrade from there. I really believe that many collectors, when grading scans assume a book is NM (9.4) and then start downgrading. Therefore, even the small wear around the edges drops the book into the 9.2 or 9.0 range. A book is presumed INNOCENT (i.e. MINT) until proven GUILTY (the defects that downgrade the book).