• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tales of Suspense 39 resto 9.0 - is it gonna set a new precedent?

25 posts in this topic

last I saw was $4,500....much lower than an unrestored 9.0. That was a steal for a small amount of CT.
not really...the fact that it is amatuer color touch means it bled through the cover (and if spread out over the staples, which it appears, will detach cover, and that is 4.0 range))...so, for someone to remove, they are going to have to remove paper, which will quickly take the book from a 9.0 to a 6.0 - 7.0 range best case scenario, and 4500 is pretty strong for a 7.0 and more than double for a 6.0...so, my guess is it should stay as a 9.0 slight and not destroy its visual presentation, as removing the color will cause potential financial loss, as well as destroy the books visual appeal (responding to someone else saying remove c/t)

last I saw was $4,500....much lower than an unrestored 9.0. That was a steal for a small amount of CT.
not really...the fact that it is amatuer color touch means it bled through the cover (and if spread out over the staples, which it appears, will detach cover, and that is 4.0 range))...so, for someone to remove, they are going to have to remove paper, which will quickly take the book from a 9.0 to a 6.0 - 7.0 range best case scenario, and 4500 is pretty strong for a 7.0 and more than double for a 6.0...so, my guess is it should stay as a 9.0 slight and not destroy its visual presentation, as removing the color will cause potential financial loss, as well as destroy the books visual appeal (responding to someone else saying remove c/t)

That's a fair point...I just figured it would fetch closer to 5k or 6k.

You're probably correct because of the exact denotation CGC used on the label. It says "small amount of color touch." If it had said "very small amount of color touch," that usually means tiny touches in a small number of locations, or in only one place, but "small amount" could mean a few 1/8" to 1/2" chunks need to be removed.

it went for what I thought the book should go for -- I owned that copy, submitted it myself and sold it for more than what the book closed at -- restored books are apparently pretty good bargains.

The color touch is far more than someone should remove. Also, the book has been pressed.

it went for what I thought the book should go for -- I owned that copy, submitted it myself and sold it for more than what the book closed at -- restored books are apparently pretty good bargains.

The color touch is far more than someone should remove. Also, the book has been pressed.

that was the impression I got when I called for notes on the book (thumbs u

Brian, that's interesting...you sold the book for more to someone but you expected it to obtain less at auction? I'm curious, why did you expect it to go for less than what you were able to sell it?

Brian, that's interesting...you sold the book for more to someone but you expected it to obtain less at auction? I'm curious, why did you expect it to go for less than what you were able to sell it?

When I sold the book to the dealer -- TOS 39 was a hotter book -- Iron Man in general was hotter. When the book sold at auction, TOS 39s -- not necessarily the uber unrestored high grades -- are not selling with quite the same fervor, which to me affects restored books.

I think the book had to be sold about a year and a half ago for the dealer to have turned a profit. He held it... and he actually had it sold twice but both guys flaked on him.

I bought the book for around $1k. I knew it was restored and saw the touch. The book was a beauty in hand, but definitely could use a press... and I wasn't sure if it was trimmed or not at the time. Wasn't trimmed, but obviously came back a PLOD.

I sold the book for $5k, almost two years ago I think now, maybe a little less. At the time I sold it, I thought the right buyer could do $7k on it. But as things turned, $4500 is apparently closer to reality.

You're probably correct because of the exact denotation CGC used on the label. It says "small amount of color touch." If it had said "very small amount of color touch," that usually means tiny touches in a small number of locations, or in only one place, but "small amount" could mean a few 1/8" to 1/2" chunks need to be removed.

Great point. I have a book denoted small amount of color touch that has a 1" by 1" swath of india ink on it. Small is relative to the total amount of cover space, not to what we all may think of as "small." lol

When I sold the book to the dealer -- TOS 39 was a hotter book -- Iron Man in general was hotter. When the book sold at auction, TOS 39s -- not necessarily the uber unrestored high grades -- are not selling with quite the same fervor, which to me affects restored books.

I think the book had to be sold about a year and a half ago for the dealer to have turned a profit. He held it... and he actually had it sold twice but both guys flaked on him.

I bought the book for around $1k. I knew it was restored and saw the touch. The book was a beauty in hand, but definitely could use a press... and I wasn't sure if it was trimmed or not at the time. Wasn't trimmed, but obviously came back a PLOD.

I sold the book for $5k, almost two years ago I think now, maybe a little less. At the time I sold it, I thought the right buyer could do $7k on it. But as things turned, $4500 is apparently closer to reality.

Thanks and makes sense. (thumbs u As a TOS 39 owner this news is a bit sad to hear... :sorry:

Although GPA has stayed pretty close (within $100) for copies like mine 5.0... hm

I have a really nicely-presenting CGC 4.0 that I bought quite a while ago for $1400...how is that holding up these days?

avg sale is still 1400-1500 range (thumbs u