• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,922 posts in this topic

Nice Charltons, Jayman...did you get any precodes in the latest Heritage?

Yep, already posted up over in the Golden Age section if you haven't already checked 'em out. (thumbs u

Nice Charltons, Jayman...did you get any precodes in the latest Heritage?

Did you?

Don't answer my question with a question. :makepoint:

I posted mine already.

But...did you??? (shrug):baiting:

Love that electrocution cover! Going back to what you said in another thread re: Mister Mystery 12.

MM 12 is so blunt and shocking while PS 21 is a clear case of where less is more.

You don't even see the victim but the shadow says it all along with the horror and disgust on the witness's faces. (thumbs u

Love that electrocution cover! Going back to what you said in another thread re: Mister Mystery 12.

MM 12 is so blunt and shocking while PS 21 is a clear case of where less is more.

You don't even see the victim but the shadow says it all along with the horror and disgust on the witness's faces. (thumbs u

:thumbsup: (worship)

Could it be?!?

Thanks to Nurse Melody for the link: http://www.newsarama.com/Comic-Con_07/DC/HouseofMystery.html

SDCC '07: STURGES & WILLINGHAM ON VERTIGO'S HOUSE OF MYSTERY

It's a House that's been visited many times in the history of DC, and this fall, Vertigo will be taking readers back to the House of Mystery, courtesy of writers Matthew (Jack of Fables) Sturges and Bill Willingham, and artist Luca Rossi.

Originally, House of Mystery ran form 1951 through 1983 as a (Code-approved) series of horror/suspense anthology series which saw mostly horror stories, along with he occasional superhero yarn, most notably the introduction of the Martian Manhunter in issue #143 (1964) and Dial H for Hero in #156 (1966). With issue #175, Cain was introduced as the series' host, introducing the tales in each issue - that would be Cain of Cain and Abel fame, and Abel lived in DC's House of Secrets.

Since the '80s, the location of the House of Mystery has moved around a bit - appearing in the DC Universe proper, as well as, and most notably, the Dreaming, which put the House, Cain and Abel into the larger world that was defined by Neil Gaiman's Sandman. Most recently, and appropriately, mysteriously enough, the House seemingly appeared in 52 #18, possibly as the headquarters of the Croatoan Society.

This fall's relaunch of the series places it squarely back under Vertigo control, and back to its roots - in a sense. We spoke with Sturges and Willingham for more.

Newsarama: First off Matt, in the immortal words of one Maria von Trapp, let's start at the very beginning - how did you get on this revival of House of Mystery?

Matthew Sturges: It was at San Diego last year - Bill Willingham and [Fables Editor] Shelly Bond came up to me in a bar and said, "We're going to do House of Mystery, and you're going to write it." And I said, "Okay." That was about all it took.

NRAMA: Not quite the normal approach to landing new work… "two people came up to me ina bar and told me I was going to be writing a new comic series…"

MA: [laughs] Yeah. But getting it approved and everything that goes with that was a little bit more of a challenge, but ultimately that was it. I guess it was Bill's brainchild, initially, and we sat at a bar in that Hyatt and fleshed out the concept over a couple of beers one night. Shelly came up with the name for the first storyarc though, which is "Room and Boredom." That will make more sense when I tell you what the book's about.

NRAMA: So tell us what the book is about. Obviously, House of Mystery is a legacy book at DC, with the House and it's main character, Cain, being part of the Vertigo line since the early Sandman days. What approach are you taking with it?

MS: You're right - it has that dual legacy of being a suspense/horror anthology and also features prominently in the Sandman mythos. Since it was going to be a Vertigo book, we wanted to have a taste of that Vertigo incarnation, but we wanted to bring it back and embrace what the initial book was about. So what we have is a "pseudo-anthology" in which we have stories that could be anything from little crime stories to horror, to science fiction - there are no rules what stories can be told, set into a much larger framing story that carries on form issue to issue, which is the overarching story of the book.

That larger story is about the people who live in the House of Mystery which has disappeared from Cain's realm. He comes out one morning to find that the house - his house has just vanished. Cut forward seven years, and we find that there are other people living there, and they've turned it into a bar and grill. Because they live in a magical house and have no need for money, you get your food and drink in exchange for telling a story. So, people come in, they tell their story - and that's the story. It will be drawn by somebody other than our primary artist and then we come back to the main story after the traveler's story is done.

NRAMA: And Bill's involved in the series too, righjt? How does he fit in?

MS: I'm writing the framing story, which will continue throughout the series. Bill, for at least the first arc, and then for as often as I can convince him to do it, will be writing the inset stories.

Bill Willingham: Or as I prefer to call them, the money shots.

MS: [laughs] We have a very talent artist named Luca Rossi who's in Italian artist that hasn't done very much work at all in America. His stuff is just stunning.

BW: Matt hasn't been in the business long enough to be able to say this with any authority, but he's drawn the best first issue of anything in comics history as far as I'm concerned.

NRAMA: So let's talk about the first arc - "Room and Boredom." Is that the arc concerning Cain finding the House again?

MS: No, actually. Cain loses the House at the very beginning of the issue, and that first arc follows our heroine, Fig, who discovers the House of the first time after encountering some very strange and nasty people. The first story arc is the reader being introduced to the House through her eyes as she learns about what the House is, what's going on there, and starts to hear these excellent stories for the first time.

NRAMA: How do people find the House?

MS: That's a good question - do people find the House or does the House find them? That is indeed one of the mysteries that's part of the series.

NRAMA: So do the people who encounter the House similar in any way? Are they going through a similar period in their life, for example?

MS: You'll find that there are two different types, actually - there are people who have encountered things like this before, so there's the idea that this House may or may not be the only such place in existence. They know the ropes and are just coming in for a drink, for example. And then there are other people who, because of the way their lives have gone, have excellent stories to tell, so those people manage to find their ay into the House as well.

NRAMA: Wrapping up - what else can readers expect to see? Cain does have a brother…

MS: Very true - Cain does have a brother, Abel, and he appears in issue #1. At least in the first story arc, you can expect to see a lady pirate, a sea monster, a poet from 19th century France in an alternate universe, and a spaceman. The typical stuff.