• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,915 posts in this topic

hey, what's with this dead thread? Sterling, I've seen you over at those modern boards. Get back here with some beauties for your horror addicts. :insane:

oh, well. Anyone seen this on ebay?

x128a.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/x128-CGC-HOUSE-OF-MYSTERY-189-9-8-Neal-Adams-WHITEpgs_W0QQitemZ190224612479QQihZ009QQcategoryZ76QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(worship)

Are you kidding me??? This sold for ONE THOUSAND, FIVE HUNDRED, and EIGHTY DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol:o:screwy:lol:o:screwy:

Guide price is $55 in NM. So this sold for 29 times guide price. INSANE!

Yup, that is insane. Though BA horror seems to of splintered into modern like pricing...

9.8's, and 1 of 1's through the roof, and everything else gets a so so response from bidders.

9.4s go for $350-$450 (last GPA, but I suspect prices have moved upward with the Neal Adams fever), and there is only one 9.6 and it has not been offered in years. I won't ever have to worry about upgrading this one again, that's for sure. Hard to justify, but I've been outted for several HOS 9.8s recently and just wanted to upgrade one of my key early issues. My current PC 9.4 copy isn't shabby, either.

I technically was underbid (I purposely put my snipe in earlier just for this possibility) and only had one sec to spare with a counter. It's not too surprising since #193 went for roughly the same amount a couple of years ago (how soon we forget). Earlier 9.6s go for ~$1,000 so in my mind this is in line. Please don't drag that outdated Overstreet price out...it's a joke. I do have to give Gemma some updated registry point values, as the points for the HOM set is almost as ridiculous as the Overstreet prices.

Kurt, I definitely agree with you, as I could actually have a nice Gaines file copy worth 12x the points in the registry. If I didn't have the other bidder it would've gone for $910 or so. Next to my precode, this was my "splurge" this year. If nothing else maybe some folks can wake up and help me with my few remaining books.

Sterling its a great book!! I totally agree that the point values for this set are drastically undervalued.

But congrats, that is one that will surely do nothing but go up in value!!! (thumbs u

I don't know if it will go up up and away, but I'll be happy if it simply maintains. Of course I'm sure a warehouse find with 1,000 copies will be found tomorrow...that's usually my luck.

Guide price is $55 in NM. So this sold for 29 times guide price. INSANE!

you're comparing apples to oranges. $55 is for 9.2 price, not 9.4. My understanding is that CGC pricing is built on multiples of 9.4 raw price...and even that is just a general guide.

Assume we use the underpriced OS number...

Overstreet 9.2 price is $55

To calculate 9.4 price, I usually multiply the 9.2 price by 0.7, which gives us $93.50...and that's raw price.

To calculate 9.4 CGC price, I usually multiply 4x...which gives us $374.

To calculate 9.8 CGC price, I usually multiply 8x...which gives us $748.

** Note--these are "General" prices...your mileage may vary. Just rules of thumb calculations

So, it looks like technically it went for 17x instead of the standard 6x-8x...definitely out there, but I've seen worse on other books. I think the 9.4 pricing reflects reality but obviously being the first 9.8 has its disadvantages. In the first 20 issues or so though they are not common like ASM #129s.

That's a sweet 189, my favorite Adams horror cover after HoS 88... :cloud9:

I agree, although it's the use of color that I really like. And let's not forget the #189 variant. lol

Yeah, it has great contrast with the colors and a bold, central image. I never noticed the "rat" ears as such before, that's going to haunt my opinion of this book now every time I see it!! :frustrated:

The HoM 189 variant...a rarely seen classic! :cloud9:

hom189variant.jpg

Sterling, I think the book is amazing, and I'm glad you won it, but I still think the price you paid is insane! Very few books sell for 8x guide in 9.8, but maybe BA horror books are ones that do. (shrug)

I concur it's insane. I've won two HOM books from Mr. Weist and both times they went for very different amounts than what I think they should go for...so he must have a very loyal following... hm

Needless to say, this book will not see the light of day.

I picked up this awesome B&W compendium at the LCS shop today.

Has 500+ B&W pages and commentary on horror reprints covering spans all the way from yellowjacket comics 1 (1944) to 2004.

513Cb9AiyuL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786720727/ref=s9subs_c2_img1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1MSWYW9P2525N85V4XND&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=278240301&pf_rd_i=507846

Both these comics were covered with reprints/commentary in the horror anthology...

16928et.jpg

1zx3s6.jpg