• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

Hey Sterling, what i find most interesting about that site, is many of the books i had hunched about being more diffiuclt are missing from his site too.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
Like what? shocked.gif

i had some comics up for auction, and pointed people to my ebay auction page in the marketplace. Also up for auction at that time was the monkey you see. Its a 1920's Schuco monkey from germany which is a pretty popular & expensive toy, in perfect shape they go for $700+. that one was beat to death. anyway dice saw it and posted it the thread and everyone got freaked out about how gross it was.I seem to remember BOC & Khaos were there as well. it sort of turned into legend since and pops up from time to time when you least expect it. confused-smiley-013.gif

I have my auctions currently UPLOADED in eBay to start this Thursday. The listing fees are choking me, so I will be breaking it up over the next several weeks. If you want to get a preview of the books, Click here.

BTW, if you place a l- (lower case L and a dash) in front of the jpeg, you'll get a super large scan.

Thanks to redhook for his graphical assistance on the imagery. Hope you find time to look through and bid on anything of interest.

-Sterling

Well, greggy's books and several other nice ones on eBay haven't been meeting reserves frown.gif, so the reason for the breakout is to reduce my investment risk in the event that it doesn't meet expectations. To be honest, I haven't seen these many high grade DC mystery books being sold at one time, so I'm hoping that will help fuel some bids.

I'll also cruise around to some of the other chatrooms and show my wares. Who knowz? confused-smiley-013.gif

Which books will be listed first? When will subsequent batches start?

I've been in and out of town all summer and that trend will continue until school starts up next month, so contingency plans may be needed to place emergency bids!

Which books will be listed first? When will subsequent batches start?

I've been in and out of town all summer and that trend will continue until school starts up next month, so contingency plans may be needed to place emergency bids!

Easiest to answer this way: every book EXCEPT House of Mystery, House of Secrets, Unexpected, Ghosts, and books I have duplicates of will run THIS week. Successive auctions will be TOTALLY hinging on the success (or lack of) the previous auction. Feel free to PM me for specific books you are interested in and I will be happy to PM you when they go online.

P.S. Super DC 20 is NOT considered HOM, it will go this week.

Has anyone here read the new CBG (#1596)?? Doug Sulipa has a "trendwatcher" column & he really hypes up the bronze horror market. In fact, at one point he makes a statement about a customer who "even traded in all his pre-Comics Code horror comics to us in his attempt to more quickly complete his high grade '70-'85 era DC & Charlton horror collection." YIKES! insane.gif

So, I figure this "mystery person" pretty much HAS to be a board member here... just a gut feeling! So, who is it? Fess up! Really, I wouldn't have any clue except the mention of Charlton REALLY makes me think of Shiverbones. However, I just can't see the Shiv- Meister trading in all his pre-code. Say it ain't so, Shiv! confused.gif

Yep, I read it and he comments on the apparent scarcity of '77-'84 horror comics in high grade. Another interesting/related comment was that in general, comics from '80 to '85 are heating up, and how historically when comics hit the 20-25 year level prices go up due to the collectors "...getting older and coming into more funds."

Anyone think that's gonna happen with post-1980 books? Doug notes that late-70's books now guide at around $10, but the early 80's books only guide at $2-5 and may have room to grow. I'm skeptical about this myself, but there's definitely a current demand for 25/30/35-cent books (pre-80) at current guide prices... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When I talk to Doug, he communicates to me just how hot bronze horror is. I know it is, because a few months back I ordered Ghosts 60-70 from him just 2 hours after he posted his list and they were already sold 893whatthe.gif

Demographics are changing, and now the folks that used to read these books want them. I can honestly see someone selling their precode books if they were strapped for cash if they personally had a better connection with the newer books. My humble observation.

Gotta pick up CBG!

Sterling

I know bronze horror is currently hot, but his insinuation was that all books from '80 to '85 are going to jump in the next few years the way silver did around 1990, and bronze did around 2000. By 1980 comics were being sold thru comic book shops, and people were taking care of their books, so there will simply not be the scarcity of quality material that Silver and (early) Bronze collectors discovered when they started trying to recover the books they bought off the newstand 25 years earlier.

The scarcest Bronze horror in grade is the late 60/early 70's books, not the late 70's/early 80's books...

(Geez...I'm starting to sound like The Professor and The Madman!! insane.gif)

Those are some great books there. Wow you picked up Roter's books 893whatthe.gif

Well those are some great books. I'd love to own some thumbsup2.gif

Edited by Rip

Thanks for the clarification, Dr. B! thumbsup2.gif

I agree, if the scarcity isn't there, then I don't necessarily see the price jump either. However, picking up nice horror genre books is totally different than picking up high grade Spideys: They are not there in very high numbers (maybe the somewhat low print count, and the fact that people didn't see these as "collector" items as much as other genres may make the difference).

For instance, I keep picking up high grade DC horror books in the 80s, and I'm stretching to fetch a CGC 9.2 grade. Again my humble observation based on what I am personally seeing.

Dead on on the late 60s and 70s: that time frame is a friggin bear getting anything of high grade caliber.