• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,924 posts in this topic

Just curious as to whether it was an oversight in production or an atempt at a logo style change. Either way it stuck out like a sore thumb while I was browsing the covers on your site Shiver!

Maybe they realized it would obscure the devil's tail if they made the logo opaque? confused-smiley-013.gif But it does beg the question why not have a 'keep-out' area for Kubert to follow as cover artist, unless this was a deliberate experiment?

I wanted to give this thread a bit of a kick boost because it has been a bit slow lately.

Shiverbones has a top 40 comic horror covers and he says that people should give feedback about it and whether they agree or not, so i thought we could help out by submitting a few covers here that are great but not on the list to help out.

Here is a link to the top 40

Top 40 covers

WWT #18 seems very easy to find as compared to the other 20centers...

When I get around to selling my raw stash I have over 70% of the series. Not strict NM, but not crappy VG books either--mostly VFish. I loved that series until they killed it (IMO) with the Creature Commandos. frown.gif I'm big into the anthology format....

I wanted to give this thread a bit of a kick boost because it has been a bit slow lately.

Shiverbones has a top 40 comic horror covers and he says that people should give feedback about it and whether they agree or not, so i thought we could help out by submitting a few covers here that are great but not on the list to help out.

Here is a link to the top 40

Top 40 covers

That's a good idea! Many of these have already been posted on this thread, but 2 I feel Shiver may have overlooked are below. From his commentary, Shiver gave extra points for horrific (spooky) elements, but I'd argue that atmosphere should count for a lot, and these books are dripping in atmosphere! thumbsup2.gif

791_4_179.jpg1901_4_096.jpg

Great books! The HOS 96 seems a little tougher to find in NM than others around it. Of course the 179 is impossible. I can't believe there are 2 9.6s in the census. I just ordered an 8.0 and I'll be pretty dang happy if it's accurately graded. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Hey Zonker! Atmosphere is first on my list for importance! I would love to get as much input as possible on other covers, this isn't a dictatorship. I had considered the HOS96, but in the end tried to give more space to people other than Wrightson. Lets hear more suggestions!

I don't know if anyone will agree with me but i think this cover is quite good. The mist and shadowed monsters, the moon shining brightly, horror cover at its simplest, but still quite effective.

B3265166.JPG

Very nice. I'd have to give consideration to HOM 180, 210, 212, 233, 235, 237, HOS 119, Phantom Stranger 22, 26.

The one thing that I would say about the top 40 page is that I think that Neal Adams was a great horror artist. One of my favorite books is HOM 191 with the puppet wielding a knife over the dead guy's body. Adams really had a talent for setting an "intense" tone to his covers. It may not be quite the same as atmosphere, but I think it's just as effective.

Does anyone know if it was required that he draw 2 kids looking on to every scene for those early HOM/HOS books?

Does anyone know if it was required that he draw 2 kids looking on to every scene for those early HOM/HOS books?

That kids-in-danger motif was so common it had to be an editorial cover policy. Not sure what Carmine Infantino was thinking: was it intended to make the kids want to buy the book, since it hit closer to home? Or, was it intended to take the edge off the horror, signaling to parents or the CCA this was "safe" material? confused-smiley-013.gif

That kids-in-danger motif was so common it had to be an editorial cover policy. Not sure what Carmine Infantino was thinking: was it intended to make the kids want to buy the book, since it hit closer to home? Or, was it intended to take the edge off the horror, signaling to parents or the CCA this was "safe" material? confused-smiley-013.gif

I'd say it was the former as the appearance of the kids didn't really lessen the impact of what was being portrayed and some give the impression they could be the next target.....

Jim

I don't know if anyone will agree with me but i think this cover is quite good. The mist and shadowed monsters, the moon shining brightly, horror cover at its simplest, but still quite effective.

B3265166.JPG

It would wake my butt up REAL QUICK! 893whatthe.gif