• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

Those plates are amazing Dice! Never seen one in person before. I wonder if the now use those flimsy aluminum ones? I guess with the kind of print runs they do, they probably still use heavy ones.

Here is a Charlton from the end of Ghostly Haunts' run using a panel from the classic #40 tom sutton story for a cover.

630475-ghaunts57.jpg

630475-ghaunts57.jpg.c3e1b0f5c588b4f375240a8241e3f565.jpg

I wonder if the now use those flimsy aluminum ones? I guess with the kind of print runs they do, they probably still use heavy ones.

The plates used now are thin and made of aluminum. Once they run the job, they are beat to hell and recycled.

Nothing like the old plates.

Thanks Dice! Your knowledge of printing is just great. It adds os much to the hobby! thumbsup2.gif

You are looking at my best ghost castle #3, so I am in the same boat. #1 is EVERYWHERE, #2 a bit less so, but this one is a different story. I think Greggy may still need one too. confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks Dice! Your knowledge of printing is just great. It adds os much to the hobby! thumbsup2.gif

You are looking at my best ghost castle #3, so I am in the same boat. #1 is EVERYWHERE, #2 a bit less so, but this one is a different story. I think Greggy may still need one too. confused-smiley-013.gif

crazy.gif

Shiver, that Ghost Castle #3 is kinda tough, for some weird reason. I've got one in about VF-, but haven't been able to find much better. Weird, because there seems to be at least 1slabbed NM copy of issue #1 offerred every week on ebay..

I was going to say the same thing. #1 is too available, and #2 and #3 is as tough as some of the early HOM issues (174-179).

OK - not really. I am noticing on some of my DC Bronze Horror that one color seems to have not been "knocked out" on the price/logo area. Below are two examples: the yellow or the cyan is printed in the intended white area of the price and logo.

Still being a novice to DC BA books, was this usually corrected during the run? Do folks have the same issue with and without the extra color? Did they just say "to heck with it" and let the whole run go through?

dc-color-price.jpg

Is there some reason to think this was a mistake? confused.gif

I've always thought they varied the intended color within the DC 'bullet' from month to month as part of the cover design, see for example:

1905_4_028.jpg

Is there some reason to think this was a mistake?

Yeah. For one thing there is no consistency. Most of my DC BA Horror comes through with white. The colors I have been seeng generally do not jive with a "color scheme". And I have seen this type of error when I was in printing in the 80's a lot. it comes from missing a "knockout" when the flats are combined, and allowing color where it should be white. (man I hope my memory of printer terms is still accurate).

I've never thought of this as a defect, but part of a decision made to vary the cover color design.

I don;t know. To me it looks like rushed production! BUT - if they corrected it - then hey! I have some rarities.

Seriously, Shiv. I will go through my meager yet growing DC collection and just call out the issue, number and color of the slugs. Hope you and others can verify from your own collections if you are seeing consistent colors or white.

I've consistently noticed them on select issue Witching Hour, Weird War Tales, etc covers...not to be breaking your bubble on this...

Why do you think its rushed? Because the colors don't match? That was the point in the 70s, wasn't it? I mean Lime Green and Orange walls, brown carpet and walls...yuck

I've consistently noticed them on select issue Witching Hour, Weird War Tales, etc covers...not to be breaking your bubble on this...

Why do you think its rushed? Because the colors don't match? That was the point in the 70s, wasn't it? I mean Lime Green and Orange walls, brown carpet and walls...yuck

OK - seriously - no bubble to break here. But having been in the printing biz for a decade or so, and seen this type of thing happen as a mistake more times than I can count, I just have to wonder if it was intentional.

So what do you say? By this weekend will list my copies with the odd-color slugs and let's see if you, and anyone else who wants to contribute, have the same.

Am genuinely interested in if these are intentional, errors or what. Also, if DC did decide to just let the run go - who at DC could we ask that would have an answer?

Seeking the real backstory here! smile.gif <- obligatory happy face so you know I am not arguing but seeking.

frown.gif <- obligatory sad face to express I have to even MENTION an obligatory happy face.

smile.gif <- yada yada

Hey! We may be treading on new ground here!