• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

I've consistently noticed them on select issue Witching Hour, Weird War Tales, etc covers...not to be breaking your bubble on this...

Why do you think its rushed? Because the colors don't match? That was the point in the 70s, wasn't it? I mean Lime Green and Orange walls, brown carpet and walls...yuck

OK - seriously - no bubble to break here. But having been in the printing biz for a decade or so, and seen this type of thing happen as a mistake more times than I can count, I just have to wonder if it was intentional.

So what do you say? By this weekend will list my copies with the odd-color slugs and let's see if you, and anyone else who wants to contribute, have the same.

Am genuinely interested in if these are intentional, errors or what. Also, if DC did decide to just let the run go - who at DC could we ask that would have an answer?

Seeking the real backstory here! smile.gif <- obligatory happy face so you know I am not arguing but seeking.

frown.gif <- obligatory sad face to express I have to even MENTION an obligatory happy face.

smile.gif <- yada yada

Hey! We may be treading on new ground here!

Pov, I can't say for certain but I believe the changes in the coloring had more to do with a conscience decision by an art director to help set the mood for a cover or balance the color/composition of the cover rather than a production error or a rushed mistake.

obligatory happy face headbang.gif uh, I mean... grin.gif

Pov, I can't say for certain but I believe the changes in the coloring had more to do with a conscience decision by an art director to help set the mood for a cover or balance the color/composition of the cover rather than a production error or a rushed mistake.

You may be right but the difference in densities I am seeing in the colors makes me wonder. Also, why are all of the ones I have noticed just one of the CYMK colors? If the art directors wanted to make a statement, they would have utilized better color combinations. Since the various components (aka "flats") that make up a 4-color job cost nothing extra to combine them (this was done in pre-press - the 4 colors each have a seperate group of "flats" - or varous groups that comprise the 4 colors - bruned under light fileterd by the wonderoud Kokomo Filter. grin.gif

But bottom line? I have seen absolutley no combination of Yellow, Magenta, Cyan or Black. Just one of those colors and at varying dot pitches. It would cost them no more to actually design specific colors for the logo/price slugs. Some I have seen have really little relevance to the overall color scheme - but it would be very easy to mix the YMCK to get a nice match to the theme.

To me, this speaks much more towards the unintentional. frown.gif

::edited for the bulk of last long paragraph::

Edited by povertyrow

If you want to check, why don't you just compare your copies with those on the MH or mycomicshop websites? confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

Mainly because one or two won't cut it. Would be good to compare to the BA Horror collectors here. If even ONE has a white logo it would be telling.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Also - even if all books had the same color - it would not be an indicator of being intentional but maybe just too much trouble/cost to change once the press run starts.

Whichever way it goes -I think it is worth pursuing and unlike some GA type questions, this may still be answerable!

::edited for last two paragraphs and some spell checking::

Edited by povertyrow

If you want to check, why don't you just compare your copies with those on the MH or mycomicshop websites? confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

Mainly because one or two won't cut it. Would be good to compare to the BA Horror collectors here. If even ONE has a white logo it would be telling.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Also - even if all books had the same color - it would not be an indicator of being intentional but maybe just too much trouble/cost to change once the press run starts.

Whichever way it goes -I think it is worth pursuing and unlike some GA type questions, this may still be answerable!

::edited for last two paragraphs and some spell checking::

Nope...mine is the same as yours so tongue.gif

Nope...mine is the same as yours so

OK! I have no problem with that. The question is - was it intentional or just a cost-saving measure to not corrrect a bad combine?

How are we possibly going to answer that? confused.gif

Jim

Actually, he bought the book very recently for about $530--so the price is currently a steal comparatively speaking. Although this is the only 9.8 currently in the census there are many certified copies so finding this particular issue in HG hasn't been a major problem for me. I have a 9.6 in my collection, although the page quality is CREAM TO OFF-WHITE crazy.gif

I have a dozen HoM issues coming back from CGC in a couple of weeks--many of which currently have NO certified issues in the census. Hint: A few Wrightson covers is among the batch. Wish me luck 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

My guess is that HOM 9.8 will hit the mid 500's when all is said and done...anybody know why the guy is selling, if he recently bought it for $550? Maybe it was a thrill-buy or something. Hey, I was top-bidder before Microbia waltzed in and knocked me out of the game...no way I'm going any higher than I already did, I've spent too much money this month on comics as is!