• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,917 posts in this topic

i read dc bronze horror as a kid from finding ragged copies at yard sales etc.

15-20 years later, i am always on the lookout for nicer copies, and completing runs.

aside from that i actually love reading them! nerdy!

it seems to me that a lot of people don't know about them, and they aren't all that easy to come

by compared to marvel comics of the same era

You really are a nerd, aren't you? smirk.gif

5232.jpg

Mr Potatohead, Mr Potatohead! DC Bronze Horror comics are NOT a secret!

In fact I'm having the WOPR calculate the exact scarcity of each issue.

wopr.jpg

I knew I would draw some heat for the post, but thats ok. I still think, if you remove your personal emotions on the issue Horror comics place in the comics heirarchy is easily apparent. Look I would love to say, Horror is the next huge thing, just like reality Television its going to be all-Horror all the time.

I'm also not argueing that Horror comics are going anywhere, they will always be there. I would love nothing more than to see Horror books Vault to the top of the OS Investment tables for SA and BA en mass, I own a lot of those books.

While its true super heros in the Atomic Age were secondary, that was a small blip on the radar. If you look at the discussion on these boards its pretty indicative of horror's place in Comicdom. There are numerous thread over this and that aspect of Superman, Batman, Wolverine, Avengers ETC ETC. Then there is the BA Horror thread. It is one of the longest and biggest single threads and I might add argueably the top pure collecting and information, scan posting all in one thread EVER. However, its still one tree in the Wilderness.

Look at WonderCon Pov and I will probably sit down and talk about Horror books for hours on end, or at least I hope so. I just think that the topic related to the how much potential, or legs the BA Horror stuff has can be a tad inflated around here. Many times on Ebay a lot of us bid against each other etc etc. So I still feel that Horror is a niche in the Comic lanscape, I happen to love the niche very much, but I have no illusions over it.

nerds own you!!!

''DC Bronze Horror comics are NOT a secret!''

didn't say they were...but...they are close to secret, just not to the people on these boards.

the more people that become exposed to them, the more people like them. maybe.

i'm working on getting a host so i can post scans of bronze 'horror' original art on your thread...

nerds own you!!!

''DC Bronze Horror comics are NOT a secret!''

didn't say they were...but...they are close to secret, just not to the people on these boards.

the more people that become exposed to them, the more people like them. maybe.

i'm working on getting a host so i can post scans of bronze 'horror' original art on your thread...

I was just goofing around and playing off of your avatar. poke2.gif

I didn't know much about BA horror until I came here. Am always interested in seeing BA original art. thumbsup2.gif

Now for the next sign-rantpost.gif.

What's up with the non-capitalization?! Do you think you're e.e.cummings?! makepoint.gif

tongue.gif

''I was just goofing around and playing off of your avatar.''

i know, i just coudn't play back much as i can hardly remember the films...malvin reminds me of myself though...

i mainly collect art from unexpected, ghosts, weird war, weird mystery HoM and HoS...i wish

more was available as i don't have 'much'...

''What's up with the non-capitalization?! Do you think you're e.e.cummings?!'''

WHO IS E.E.CUMMINGS? confused-smiley-013.gifinsane.gifstooges.gif

Edited by DNAgent

Jbud -

While I agree with you that there are people on this thread who may (or may not!) be banking WAY too much on BA horror comics as a great investment opportunity, I'm just not on the same page with you as to some of your explanations on why. I'm not throwing heat at you, but when you make a statement like :

"aside from Vertigo, there are no high profile horror comics being published today" ... it is going to raise a few eyebrows.

Not only is it erroneus, but it also implies that the Modern horror comic market somehow dictates the potential value of the BA horror books. I do not agree.

I also stand by my opinion that the horror anthology format is more newbie friendly, since you DON'T have to worry about continuity. But I must ask: How does "lack of continuity" negatively impact the possible investment value of a comic?????

Also, why would the Big 2 NEED to revive any of the BA titles in order to make the back issues viable??? You yourself said these titles haven't been around for some 20 years, but they still have been rising nicely in HG nonetheless, have they not?

You keep talking about "horror comic's place in collecting hierarchy," yet no one here has said horror was at the top of any percieved hierarchy of the masses. We all know that right now superheros rule the roost, but ya know that doesn't mean they will in the future, especially since they haven't always ruled in the past. Still, I have to ask: does a genre have to be #1 to have legs??

Sure, horror is a comic niche.... a historically important one, to boot. I like it that way. I PREFER IT. Myself, I don't want the comic industry to be "all horror all the time" or "the next big thing." It keeps the weirdos away..... grin.gif

I just received a complete 8-issue set of Chamber Of Darkness that I won on Ebay. Kirby, Wrightson, Severin, this is one great little set featuring Wrightson's first work at Marvel in #7. This is my favorite of the covers #8, again by Wrightson.

709516-Chamber.jpg

709516-Chamber.jpg.123bebb11e08b0709d7200cc25c906d9.jpg

is that the only thing cool about that book? stooges.gif

for real, are the stories worth a read?

'the beast that walks like a man' confused.gif ...sounds like pre-hero marvel...

are these reprints?

just read this one tonight...thumbs up

hom186.jpg

Edited by DNAgent

'the beast that walks like a man' confused.gif ...sounds like pre-hero marvel...

are these reprints?

I believe most of these books are original, and the art looks great in most of them. However (dare I say this) I am really not a Kirby fan and my least favorite when looking through the covers and interiors are the stories Kirby wrote (yes, WROTE) and drew. I'm not much of a reader and have not read these, maybe someone else here has and could comment. For Marvel Bronze anthologies, these books are pretty cool. Kind of pricy in the guide though. The set I bought is mostly mid-grade and was pretty cheap. Issue #4 is some kind of Conan prototype. Not that I could care less about Conan though.

are these reprints?

just read this one tonight...thumbs up

hom186.jpg

Yeah, "Nightmare" is regarded as one of the best BA horror stories.

Were these from Bob Storms? Nice books, and I definitely love WWT covers in the early issues thumbsup2.gif

HOM 186 is one of the best mystery books in terms of stories and art. Hands down!

Bob has some nice books but these were found elsewhere on ebay! gossip.gif

Were these from Bob Storms? Nice books, and I definitely love WWT covers in the early issues thumbsup2.gif

HOM 186 is one of the best mystery books in terms of stories and art. Hands down!

Very nice! yay.gif

Mmmm....BINs from a store! tongue.gif