• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,926 posts in this topic

There's nothing to be ashamed of in reading Wizard as long as you see it for what it is; a self serving comics hype machine. After you realize that the magazine can be quite entertaining and informative about the very current Modern market. If they try to go back even one year, you quickly see they don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Wizard is all about the immediate market...and I have bought a copy each and every month since the 1st issue... smirk.gif

Jim

Oh I don't need Wizard to tell me anything. I was just pointing out for those interested in values that when the mainstream catches on, prices rise.

I'm glad you took my post with a grain of salt, Sid. After all, it was meant for the most part to be humorous. thumbsup2.gif

I would like to ad though, you and I and others have known for the past two years that BA horror prices have been on the rise in HG, and all we needed was this mesage board, right? gossip.gif

From a personal standpoint, I don't want the mainstream to "catch on" to BA horror; especially if all they are interested in is "value." I saw how that kind of action pretty much ruined the pre-code horror market (for the horror fan) in the late 1990's. sorry.gif

Oh I don't need Wizard to tell me anything. I was just pointing out for those interested in values that when the mainstream catches on, prices rise.

I'm glad you took my post with a grain of salt, Sid. After all, it was meant for the most part to be humorous. thumbsup2.gif

I would like to ad though, you and I and others have known for the past two years that BA horror prices have been on the rise in HG, and all we needed was this mesage board, right? gossip.gif

From a personal standpoint, I don't want the mainstream to "catch on" to BA horror; especially if all they are interested in is "value." I saw how that kind of action pretty much ruined the pre-code horror market (for the horror fan) in the late 1990's. sorry.gif

Wait for Doug Sulipa's new list in a couple of days. He said that there will be around 2000 books with 1000 of them being Manitoba copies. Says that 30-40% will be bronze age horror! 893whatthe.gifhail.gif

Keith, what happened to the pre-codes that you are referring to? Except for the ECs, I've never followed any pre-code books and I am unaware of the situation.

And on another topic, I guess I see the potential rise in popularity of BA horror from two different angles. First, is that I'd like to see the hundreds of HG books that I've bought over the last year rise in value. On the other hand, I don't want them rising too much or it will limit my new purchases of the books.

Wait for Doug Sulipa's new list in a couple of days. He said that there will be around 2000 books with 1000 of them being Manitoba copies. Says that 30-40% will be bronze age horror! 893whatthe.gifhail.gif

Last time I talked to him, he said he was dry on the genre. Is he bringing these books along at his pace? confused.gif

I still remember the list that had the Ghosts 60-69. All sold within an hour Christo_pull_hair.gif

Last time I talked to him, he said he was dry on the genre. Is he bringing these books along at his pace? confused.gif

I still remember the list that had the Ghosts 60-69. All sold within an hour Christo_pull_hair.gif

My friend owns those Ghosts! tongue.gif No high grade HOM 236 or 290 in the new list though! acclaim.gif

Keith, what happened to the pre-codes that you are referring to? Except for the ECs, I've never followed any pre-code books and I am unaware of the situation.

Basically what you had happen was that sometime in the mid to late 1990's non-EC pre-code horror got "hot" with the speculative crowd. Why? I don't know, just a cyclitave thing I guess, even though it was the first time (to my knowledge) that the genre was viewed as a goldmine by speculators.

Prices went up across the board in no time, as the mentality dealers mistakenly had was "if it's pre-code horror it's worth big $," when in fact there were/are probably less than 100 (up for debate) "key" issues that fall under that. So, what the collecting community was stuck with was run of the mill issues priced way high right along side the actual high demand books.

Basically, because I feel the mainstream is ignorant when it comes to horror. If it's "hot," they feel all issues are "hot," and don't consider that there are desirable books versus average books, just like other genres. They just consider all horror the same, IMO. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So now, and POV would be a good one to confirm this, you can go to a show and find low grade g and vg books marked anywhere from $75 to as high as $200 for a run of the mill book. AND THEY DON"T SELL. Meanwhile, on eBay you can get the same stuff for $20 to $35 because that's pretty much where the going prices were before the "boom," and is a much more realistic range for a nice low grade. You just have to wait much longer.

Honestly Sid, I don't see this happening to BA horror though. confused-smiley-013.gif

Edited by precodekeith

Keith, thanks for the pre-code history lesson, I was unaware of all that.

I'm not expecting these BA horror books to become little gold mines. However I do feel as if they deserve more recognition and that the prices should reflect that at reasonable levels. I think that is already happening, and justifiably so.

I've seen what you are referring to regarding all books in a given genre being speculated on when only few are really worthy. I think that often happens across the board. For example when a new superhero movie is announced, all of a sudden some dealers think all that character's titles and issues will go through the roof when only a select few are really meaningful.

As far as I'm concerned BA horror is the same way. I don't even want much of it. Although I know late '70s horror is hard to come by in HG, there is not much of it that I'd really even want anyway. Although there are exceptions, like Kaluta covers for example, it appears as if by '77 or so the quality really went downhill regarding cover and interior art. Personally, my preference for Bronze horror is from '69-'76.

However I do feel as if they deserve more recognition and that the prices should reflect that at reasonable levels. I think that is already happening, and justifiably so.

Yup. I agree and I do think the HG material still has room for upward movement. I think it will be a long time (if ever) before mid/low grades go up much. confused-smiley-013.gif

I've seen what you are referring to regarding all books in a given genre being speculated on when only few are really worthy. I think that often happens across the board. For example when a new superhero movie is announced, all of a sudden some dealers think all that character's titles and issues will go through the roof when only a select few are really meaningful.

Absolutely. thumbsup2.gif One difference I see though is that after the movies come out and the hype dies off, I see some ( I hesitate to say "most") dealers readjust their hero prices accordingly. With the horror genre, we don't have that particular luxury, and it seems like the dealers would rather wait for the next "boom" that may or may not come, rather than readjust a price and move the book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yup. I agree and I do think the HG material still has room for upward movement.

I disagree. I think DC horror has maxed out for now except for the ultra HGs (and these regardless of genre are crazy). I expect a small correction but prices should remain stable until the cycle comes back around to horror. This horror cycle is passing I suspect...

Absolutely. thumbsup2.gif One difference I see though is that after the movies come out and the hype dies off, I see some ( I hesitate to say "most") dealers readjust their hero prices accordingly. With the horror genre, we don't have that particular luxury, and it seems like the dealers would rather wait for the next "boom" that may or may not come, rather than readjust a price and move the book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Very true...they are looked on as more of a hobby niche and are treated uniformly vs. by title/issue. I don't see that changing for the majority of DC horror EXCEPT for Adams covers. I think these will separate themselves from common horror and be priced in a separate horror catagory...

Jim

Criminy, we are starting to sound like stock market analysts on CNBC. Each analyst either being a bear, neutral or a bull on various items.

Hey, no problem by me, I like discussions about market conditions whether it be stocks OR comics. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Oh, and Jim, I agree about the Adams covers. At Wondercon last week I was specifically looking for Bronze Adams covers and would most certainly pay more for them than other similar but non-Adams covers. I really like those things.