• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,928 posts in this topic

sorry.gif

Been so busy, but I at least pop in now and then for stray comments! I have 2 months to prepare and another 12 or so paintings to finish, so my comic time has just about come to a screeching hault. It will pass.... I have been quietly picking up some comics though....

...I have 2 months to prepare...

Whatcha preparing for, Matthew? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sounds like an art show confused-smiley-013.gif

Actually, I think it's one of those big Greek Orgies. cloud9.gif

Last weekend I picked up the second TPB volume of the Jack Kirby Jimmy Olsen series. Mark Evanier writes the introduction, and his comments made me think of your research into various "firsts" on your website. Since there's been a lot of discussion lately about 'hero/horror' books of the early 1970s, I thought it might be of general interest to post here.

Evanier claims that Kirby conceived of his vampire/wolfman story for JO 142/143, and then got DC publisher Carmine Infantino to lobby to have the Comics Code changed to allow it. Turns out Marvel had the first Morbius in ASM 101 out first, but it must have been by only a week or two, because each book carries an October 1971 cover date:

1027_4_142.jpg

So, do you think this counts as the actual first DC post-Code vampire? And might it be the first post-Code wolfman anywhere? Let me hasten to add, this isn't much of a horror story... it is firmly in the super-hero genre, but then again, couldn't one say the same of Morbius? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Very interesting Zonker. Have you read the story, are they in fact a true Vampire and Werewolf or villians posing as such? Either way a very cool cover although Kirby's Werewolf does look like one of his typical "Marvel monsters".

Very interesting Zonker. Have you read the story, are they in fact a true Vampire and Werewolf or villians posing as such? Either way a very cool cover although Kirby's Werewolf does look like one of his typical "Marvel monsters".

It's been a lonnnngg time since I read it. As I recall, these were synthetic beings from an alien (perhaps artifically-created?) world. A mad scientist from Earth conditioned them by broadcasting old Universal Studios horror movies! They apparently thought "God" was telling them to become vampires, werewolves and the like. 27_laughing.gif

If Rip doesn't like the cover, he probably hates the story. I'll give the resolution away after a...

SPOILER WARNING FOR A STORY PUBLISHED OVER 30 YEARS AGO!

Superman and Jimmy send the bad guys back to their home world, and reverse the mad scientist's conditioning by de-programming the monsters via non-stop broadcasting of...

(wait for it)

MGM Musical Show tunes! yay.gifinsane.gifcrazy.gifscrewy.gifyeahok.gif I'm not kidding. frown.gif

Not Kirby's finest hour...

MGM Musical Show tunes! yay.gifinsane.gifcrazy.gifscrewy.gifyeahok.gif I'm not kidding. frown.gif

Not Kirby's finest hour...

27_laughing.gif So the aliens go back to their homeworld and eternaly annoy their people as Kate Smith and Judy Garland!

"There's no business like show business..." hail.gif

Zonker, thats very true. i Had blocked that issue from my mind..... Morbius is a Scientific vampire, so he is not true blood either. So yes, I would count these as the DC firsts! I hate to do it though..... 27_laughing.gif

Thanks again Zonker, you are a true comics scholar! flowerred.gif