• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,922 posts in this topic

You said it! I would stare at that last panel for minutes at a time & just think to myself, "Wow! I can't believe his mom & Dad did that to him!"

Probably doesn't have the same impact if you read it for the first time as an adult, but man what an impression when you're young! Still, this baby stands the test of time..... hail.gif

Probably doesn't have the same impact if you read it for the first time as an adult, but man what an impression when you're young! Still, this baby stands the test of time..... hail.gif

Yeah, I read it for the first time about a year ago, after a string of the typically bland BA horror fare. At the end of this one I got a bit of a chill. Not only was the end a little unnerving (due mostly to the facial expression), it really stood out after so many tame stories. This is a close second behind "Nightmare", which is my favorite.

What I got out of this story was the horror of conformity gone to extremes; restricting others and limiting freedom of expression. That and worrying more about what others might think instead of making the best out of the situation you've been dealt with. The monster represented society's non-conformity members aka "undesirables" or non-"normal" people or "rebels"--the parent's willingness to give in to society's pressure was the tragedy...executed on the innocent.

A classic storyline done over and over again...albeit in a new shocking manner. (Elephant Man, anyone?)

Keith, I didn't read this story until I started my collecting habit again several years ago--trust me---it had MORE of an impact than if I was younger. I spent some time after reading it thinking about the real world relevancy. We are quick to judge others is another possible theme....

I haven't posted many covers here recently so I thought I'd put up my favorite new cover from San Diego. This is another one of the Don Rosa books. I just love the colors on this Adams cover.

877468-PS3.jpg

877468-PS3.jpg.6918b8602f4a431ac60a2934810a7d7d.jpg

fyi...Industry pros thought so highly of "The Demon Within" that they voted it best short story for the year in which it appeared.

There's an old thread discussing these ACBA "Shazam" Awards.

hom7.jpg

The story is more sad for the boy than scary. The parents should be ashamed of themselves... mad.gif

Regardless, it is a wonderful short story. Very nice how the story flows from one panel to the next. It really is a great example of Aparo's work...thanks for posting it...

Jim

You said it! I would stare at that last panel for minutes at a time & just think to myself, "Wow! I can't believe his mom & Dad did that to him!"

Probably doesn't have the same impact if you read it for the first time as an adult, but man what an impression when you're young!

I agree. That story really disturbed me as a kid. That last panel is one I've never forgotten.

Rest in Peace, Jim. frown.gif

Picked up one of those last night. Small scan, but it looks nice and was dirt cheap. Hope it's as good as advertised. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

What does a nice copy typically go for? I checked eBay completed auctions but couldn't find anything useful.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWN:IT

Got the book today and it looks great. I would say 9.0/9.2. thumbsup2.gif

ww64.jpg

What grade is the PS 3? Oh, and when and how much are you going to sell it to me for? hi.gif Nevermind, I saw the grade sticker on it. A great book that I am, for some reason having difficulty locating in 9.4. confused-smiley-013.gif

Picked up one of those last night. Small scan, but it looks nice and was dirt cheap. Hope it's as good as advertised. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

What does a nice copy typically go for? I checked eBay completed auctions but couldn't find anything useful.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWN:IT

Got the book today and it looks great. I would say 9.0/9.2. thumbsup2.gif

ww64.jpg

Very nice pick-up OF and for only $6.50! 893whatthe.gif

Can't believe no others bid on this.

Slightly OT but seeing this issue always makes me wonder what that magenta spot near the price is. Is it a hole in the other color plates?

It is on every issue I have ever seen.

877846-ww64.jpg

877846-ww64.jpg.378a379fb42fc2fbc4ae8e1027ca9e3c.jpg