• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,917 posts in this topic

HG collectors are out of their minds if they are looking for investments and not collectibles.

Absolutely. I just want to complete my run, and it's been 2 years since a certified copy has been for sale. Demand simply driving the price up. Rock Hill is literally a 40 minute drive for me. Except for the top of the book, it looks pretty good.

The thing is, there are an increasing number of HG players in this market, so I see the trend going up, unfortunately.

But you aren't laughing at me, are you?

I laugh at everybody, including myself! insane.gif After all, it's just variations on the same collecting neurosis. My way is just a bit cheaper. wink.gif

Again ol' Oct speaks for me as well. Yes, we all have our own neorosis and are all anal to a degree (some more than others). But personally I would not laugh at the "VF collector" who can buy a very nice book, albeit with a few small flaws for $5. I mean, is that little investment going to go down? Odds are within a year or two it will be a double at least. Of course it takes alot of doubling $5 books to make any real money, but at least your collectibles are becoming more valuable than less, or at least increasing in value at a higher clip (take my words with a grain of salt though as I am bias to this collecting style).

Anyway, I haven't been around much recently. So damn busy with Chicago, then camping, then practicing and a gig coming up with my band. Believe me, I'm looking forwards to just vegging out here and chatting with you guys and scanning some books to show off. Hope I can join the party soon. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

That WH 20 is one of my favotite covers. thumbsup2.gif

When I first saw that cover I thought it was pretty run-of-the-mill, but the more I looked at it the more I realized how creepy it really is. Less slasher and more serial killer. I got the Oakland copy a while back from Metro b/c I liked it so much.

What grade is your WH 20 Oakland? I bought my Oakland copy way back in 1998 or 1999, and I think it's NM or better (haven't pullled it out in a while). Also, WH 20 was sold in sealed packs so it's relatively common in high grade.

Going through what I bought yesterday and found another eyeball cover. Eye in the sky or big brother is watching you cover. An odd combination of colors on this one.

900225-sohh11.jpg

Wow, I never thought I would ever say I didn't like a Kaluta cover but there you go. That's hideous, IMO.

aww, actually a cool story 'Picasso Fever'...i am a fan of this cover as well, it certainly

doesn't have the shocking or 'scary' qualities of the great horror/mystery covers...but a decent(well, almost decent) homage to picasso and one of his artistic techniques...the story brings back memories of the time i was reading lots of these comics, and reading about art...

Sterling and everyone else, FYI on marlede.

Marlede is the famous uber Halloween collector Mark B. Ledenbach.

He wrote the book on Halloween collecting. Literally!

http://www.halloweencollector.com/about/

Yep...know thy competitors...I found out about this some time ago, but thanks for the post. Why ubber CGC graded books fit into this is beyond my comprehension, only except its horror related.

Dice, I love the cut on your book. One of my concerns on bidding on the Don Rosa is that the cut pushes everything to the right margin---although its consistent, it makes for a fugly book.

Also, WH 20 was sold in sealed packs so it's relatively common in high grade.

Yep, I agree to a certain extent, as far as surrounding issues go--but it doesn't have that flooded feel like some of the other 52pagers I see on sale all the time. I remember when rocketeer bought some still in the bags (included HOS 95 and WH 20) and they both graded 9.4 with White pages where he approximately made a 100% return when he sold them.

Dice, I love the cut on your book. One of my concerns on bidding on the Don Rosa is that the cut pushes everything to the right margin---although its consistent, it makes for a fugly book.

I suppose you're talking about the 209.

The Rosa copy is nice, but the centering kills it for me.

I'll take a 9.0 with great centering over a 9.4 with a 1/8" spine any day.

Here's my old copy. The centering is a little better than the one I posted earlier.

cloud9.gif

903205-hom209.jpg

903205-hom209.jpg.7df80c92bbf185303e71111b03bd026e.jpg

What grade is your WH 20 Oakland? I bought my Oakland copy way back in 1998 or 1999, and I think it's NM or better (haven't pullled it out in a while). Also, WH 20 was sold in sealed packs so it's relatively common in high grade.

I bought it as a 9.4 and agreed with the grade. I think Metro is sketchy on sub-9.0s. I was a few books short on my last submission so I ended up throwing in some "keeper" books. Of course, if it came back with some retarded high grade it probably would not be a "keeper" any longer. crazy.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

p.s. Thanks for making me addicted to Oakland Star Spangled War Stories. Your 156 started it. sumo.gif

comics scribe Mark Millar is wondering about a DC horror book from his childhood:

"Okay, as you know, I'm doing up my study right now and filling the walls with covers that mean something to me. I never actually OWNED this comic, but I remember seeing it in ads when I was a kid. You remember those ads? the ones that showed nine covers in a single page and you had to squint to read the text?

I'm guessing this comic was either Ghosts or The Witching Hour and the cover had a couple coming into a house and saying how pleased they were to be out of the rain on a stormy night, etc, in this place where it was REALLY SAFE. Cue, horrifying, witchy/demon face on the right hand side of the cover laughing because he/ she/ it knows this couple are getting bumped off ASAP.

Looking at www.comics.org, I can find nothing. What's weird is that pretty much every cover from this period (75/76/77) seems to be a play on the idea of someone coming in a door on the left side of the cover and thinking they're safe NOT REALIZING something monstrous is waiting for them on the right side of the panel. And what's even weirder is that it works every time. This was employed a lot in mid 70s horror, but quite a few times in the superhero books too (especially The Flash).

Anyway, please help.

MM "