• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,917 posts in this topic

I used to love those old house ads in DC comics of the 70's, especially for the 100 Pagers. Although I snurled my nose at romance comics at that time, I was even intrigued a bit by the 100-Page Young Loves & Young Romances.

Hey guys. I took the day off from work to get organized with my comics and whip up a CGC submission. I usually don't bother with Economy due to price and turnaround, but Modern submissions are still a good deal and the turnaround isn't too bad. Anyway, I'm sending in some nice mid/late 70s books and a few early 80s. Some of those will be Don Rosa copies. Anyway, I came across this book which I wanted to post. I'm sure others have been scanned in here before, but it is worth another look. Cool imagery.

906343-House.jpg

906343-House.jpg.d338bacdfc1aa4bed3a6a1403ba0a143.jpg

Yup, a really nice washtone by Jack Sparling. He did the great HOM 205 as well I believe. Two great moody covers with a nice style.

Your post reminded me of this archived auction I found while tooling around on Heritage a while back:

Jack Sparling - Original Cover Art for House of Secrets #119 (DC, 1970).

Obviously, not the cover to HOS 119 and more like a painted version of HOS 97. Anyone see the Heritage item published anywhere?

Also, for the Don Rosas, will there be any indication on the label or was that only for the initial submission by dealer handling the collection? Just curious, I know it probably doesn't matter since it is not a pedigree.

Yup, a really nice washtone by Jack Sparling. He did the great HOM 205 as well I believe. Two great moody covers with a nice style.

Your post reminded me of this archived auction I found while tooling around on Heritage a while back:

Obviously, not the cover to HOS 119 and more like a painted version of HOS 97. Anyone see the Heritage item published anywhere?

Also, for the Don Rosas, will there be any indication on the label or was that only for the initial submission by dealer handling the collection? Just curious, I know it probably doesn't matter since it is not a pedigree.

That only went for $350?!? 893whatthe.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifmakepoint.gif

That only went for $350?!? 893whatthe.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifmakepoint.gif

I told you your $500 figure for OA wasn't necessary to get cool stuff. gossip.gif

You are right about that. I am pretty shocked. That's a really nice piece, even if it didn't get used...

The raw Don Rosas come with COAs, so I don't see why CGC wouldn't put a designation on the label.

I talked to Steves Wyatt and Borock and they informed me that as long as I send in the corresponding certificate included with every book, in which CGC has a list with books/cert #s, then the book will be designated with a "Don Rosa Collection" note, just like in the Sinister House above, regardless of who sends the book in for submission. Yeah, it may not be a "real" pedigree, but the notation may add at least a little value to the books 893crossfingers-thumb.gif, and besides, even without the "pedigree" status, many are still really nice books. They had them priced mostly at exact guide. When I could find a potential 9.6/9.8 for $6-$12, how could I pass that up? At least I couldn't pass up the BA DC horror books like that.

Example of a $10 Rosa book.

906478-Shark.jpg

906478-Shark.jpg.d7cc1fd4cf34d3dbf1dddf772af759f8.jpg

Thanks. Good info to know. I just picked up some raw Rosas yesterday and want to check them out. I am assuming I'll be getting the certificate.

I don't plan on slabbing them but you never know. I was curious as I thought certain collections were kind of "one time only" things with respect to the labels having the info on them. Like only with the initial batch or something (I'm thinking of MH2 maybe?).

Thanks. Good info to know. I just picked up some raw Rosas yesterday and want to check them out. I am assuming I'll be getting the certificate.

I don't plan on slabbing them but you never know. I was curious as I thought certain collections were kind of "one time only" things with respect to the labels having the info on them. Like only with the initial batch or something (I'm thinking of MH2 maybe?).

I think this one still works because CGC has a list of what book goes with what # COA. I don't know if CGC has a corresponding dealer-given grade for each though. Wyatt also did give me one tip. If sending in multiple Rosa books with certs, write down the cert # for each book before sending them in as you will get all the certs back together in a pile, and not in the bag with each corresponding slab. That way you know what book goes with what cert as the name of the book is not on the cert.

I just picked up some raw Rosas yesterday and want to check them out. I am assuming I'll be getting the certificate.

Talked to Steve a few nights ago--nice guy. I've recently bought some raw and certified Don Rosa books. I'll post 'em when I get em. I'm expecting certs with my raw books as well.